The market for bandwidth continues to drive operators to invest in their critical infrastructures to meet customer demand across key sectors and verticals.
The latest additions to the Ciena Packet Networking portfolio, the 5170 Services Aggregation Switch, raises the bar on performance and scale to address key areas of the market including:
- Mobile backhaul 5G “prebuild”: While 5G is still on the horizon, operators worldwide are beefing up their backhaul infrastructures not only in advance of the new bandwidth-hungry applications it will enable, but in continued support of the 4G network which is still undergoing rapid growth. A concerted effort is underway to upgrade current 1Gbps tower connectivity to multi-gig capability over 10Gbps links.
- Ethernet Business Services in multi-tenant and campus locations: Premium EBS services more than 10Gbps are quickly exhausting current multi-tenant network infrastructure. Aggregation of multiple services onto a shared packet-based 100Gbps pipe is increasingly a cost-effective solution.
- Fiber Deep architecture rollout: MSOs are spearheading the effort to push fiber deeper into residential and business areas to offer higher bandwidth services enabled by DOCSIS 3.1 (1Gbps and up) to more customers at lower cost points.
- Carrier hotel and bandwidth meet point: E-NNI handoffs of aggregated traffic between operators often means “stacking” 10Gbps boxes in data centers. As these consume more and more power and space, including monthly recurring costs, a more efficient 100Gbps handoff curtails complexity and OPEX.
- Research and Education applications: Regional and global R&E consortia continue to require low latency and massive bandwidth facilities to support advanced research studies on everything from inter- planetary exploration to genome research. E-rate funded projects are also in progress across the US as school systems and government collaborate on ambitious connectivity goals to bring students online and offer added distance learning opportunities.
These highly sought-after customers and their applications are key to operator’s profitability. Rapid deployment and service activation are paramount to both operator and end-user quality of experience as service providers compete to get the end-user business and turn on these healthy revenue streams.
Ciena 5170 Service Aggregation Switch
Ciena’s 5170 Service Aggregation Switch has already been installed by some South African customers who appreciate using it in these application scenarios.
Key differentiators for the 800 Gbps capable platform include:
- Outstanding 10GbE and 100GbE density in 1RU fixed format chassis to address space constraints.
- 4 x 100GbE (QSFP28)
- 40 x 1/10GbE (SFP+)
- Hardware-assisted packet OAM scaled to deliver 100GbE services with guaranteed SLA differentiation including integrated line-rate service activation testing. capabilities using RFC2544 or Y.1564 protocols up to 100Gbps.
- Advanced QoS with hierarchical egress shaping and hierarchical ingress metering.
- Leveraging MPLS, G.8032, Link Aggregation, and QinQ topology and protection options to deliver a rich set of MEF-compliant services.
- Zero-touch provisioning for rapid, secure, and error-free turn-up of packet services.
- Advanced packet synchronization for accurate timing distribution.
- On-board x86 system CPU with future VNF app hosting capability.
- Flexible configuration options with redundant power supplies (AC or DC) and fan modules.
- Future integration with Ciena’s WaveLogic coherent photonics for added reach and flexibility.
- Ciena’s Blue Planet MCP multilayer provisioning support for end-to-end network management control and planning.
For more information, please contact Adcomtec (Pty) Ltd. www.adcomtec.co.za.
This article was published in partnership with Adcomtec.