Load-shedding has well and truly returned, which means hours of powerless evenings without access to your TV, computer, and even your lights.
Showmax subscribers and DStv Now users have an alternative to sitting in the dark, twiddling their thumbs.
Showmax subscribers can download movies and series onto their mobile devices by using the Showmax app. Once you begin watching a downloaded title on the Showmax app, you have 48 hours to consume the content and can download multiple titles to watch offline. Once you’ve watched a movie or series episode, delete it to free up space for new downloads.
You don’t need an active Internet connection to watch downloaded content – even if load-shedding affects mobile network coverage, you’ll be able to watch.
How to download series and movies on Showmax
- Sign up for Showmax at showmax.com.
- Download the Showmax app for iOS or Android phones and tablets.
- Open the app, hit the Profile button and go to Settings > Download Settings.
- Select the file quality – Low Quality, Standard Quality, Good Quality and High Quality. To use as little data and as little space as possible, select Low or Standard Quality, which is perfect for small screens.
- Now choose the episode or movie you want to download; tap the cloud-shaped Download icon.
- Downloads should start immediately.
The DStv Now app works almost identically to the Showmax app. The difference between the two is that while Showmax has movies, full seasons and kids shows, DStv Now users also have access to sports highlights.
Here’s how to download from the DStv Now app:
- First, register for DStv Now.
- Next, download the DStv Now app for Android or Apple devices.
- Open the app, log in and go to Catch Up.
- Select content and tap the cloud-shaped Download icon.
- When downloading, choose Highest, High, Medium or Low. The app will display how much data and storage space is needed for each quality setting. (If the icon has a cross through it, it means that show can’t be downloaded.)
- Tap the Downloads icon in the main menu to watch.
This article was published in partnership with Showmax.