Whether you’re working remotely, home-schooling, or just binge-watching an old favourite to pass the time, you’re putting in maximum time with your devices.
Chances are that you’re reading this article on a phone or tablet right now! When was the last time you gave the screen a good wipe?
Disinfecting surfaces is one of the most effective ways to slow the spread of COVID-19 and other common viruses.
How to disinfect your phone and tablet
- Switch off your device, unplug the charging cable and take off its case.
- Lightly dampen a soft, lint-free or microfibre cloth with plain mineral water. Paper towels are too abrasive. If you’re using a wipe, check that it contains 70% Isopropyl alcohol or less (it’ll list 70% IPA on the packaging).
- Gently wipe fingerprint smudges off the screen. Never spray water directly onto your device’s screen.
- Do the same with the back and sides of your device.
- Use a toothpick to clean lint from your device’s ports. Be careful not to damage any protruding pins.
- Another trick is to roll a piece of sticky tape, stick-side out, to fit into a port or crevice and lift out hard-to-reach sand granules, dirt or lint.
- Clean the case – for hard plastic cases, wipe down with cloth and water and for silicone cases, wash in soapy water.
- Let your phone or tablet dry for 15 minutes before putting it back into its case.
- Don’t forget to wipe down your earphones and charging cable, too.
Tip: Use a screen protector so keep your device’s screen clean and clear.
- Make-up remover
- Hand soap
- Surgical spirits
- Window cleaner
- Kitchen cleaner
- Dishwashing liquid
These liquids contain chemicals that strip the protective coating from your device’s screen.
Now that your phone is sparkling, you can go back to watching live news channels, squeezing in some yoga with Virgin Active’s home workout videos on DStv Now and Showmax, home-schooling with the education channels, tweeting in the #LockdownHouseParty every weekend with Channel O, or just plain binge-watching movies and TV shows to relax.
DStv Now has 16 free channels for anyone to stream, including CNN, Skynews, Channel O, PBS and MindsetPop for the kids. You don’t need to be a DStv subscriber. Sign up at DStv Now.
Showmax has a special on where you get 3 months for half-price! And if you’re a DStv Premium subscriber, you get Showmax free – go to showmax.com to sign up. (DStv Compact and Compact Plus subscribers pay R49 per month.)