MTN has launched a music streaming service called MTN Music+, which it says will feature music from all over Africa, including South African favourites.
Available as an Android and web application, Music+ subscriptions will cost between R10 and R49 per month, with the first month free.
The MTN Music+ (ZA) app can be downloaded through the Google Play store, and subscribers who sign up for their free month also receive 500MB of data.
Those without an Android device can use the musicplus.mtn.co.za web portal to access the service.
After the free month expires, the normal subscriptions will also include an amount of free data which can be used to stream music from the service.
Without a subscription, registered users can still browse and play 30 second previews of tracks.
The various subscription and purchasing options for MTN Music+ are as follows:
- Daily subscription: R10.00 inclusive of 50MB free data
- Weekly subscription: R25.00 inclusive of 150MB free data
- Monthly subscription: R49.00 inclusive of 500MB free data
- Price to buy and download track: R1.00 to R10.00 per track
- Price to gift a track: R1.00 to R10.00 per track.
MTN will still offer access to Simfy Africa, a music streaming service which launched in South Africa during 2012.
Until 15 April, MTN has a promotion running that includes 500MB of data with a Simfy subscription for R69 per month.