An Eastern Cape principal faces dismissal after he called a local politician a c**t on Facebook.
According to a report by the Sunday Times, Hankey Senior Secondary School principal Godfrey Thorne called Edmund van Vuuren, a member of the provincial legislature, the offending word after the education portfolio committee found that 134 girls at his school got pregnant last year.
Van Vuuren reported Thorne to the Eastern Cape education department, which has resulted in an investigation into Thorne’s comments.
The report stated that offensive Facebook posts can lead to a company or government department dismissing an employee, and provided guidelines about how to act on the social media platform.
How to act on Facebook
- Be mindful of what you post
- Message private matters instead of posting on your wall
- Reply to comments, especially if they are questions
- Spark interesting comments with others
- Post with caution
- Don’t make friends with strangers
- Don’t tag your friends in ‘unglam’ shots
- Don’t vent about your work
- Don’t flame others