After more than a year in operation, Simfy Africa has announced the top 25 songs that users listened to on the service.
Simfy Africa is a streaming music service that offers subscribers the ability to listen to any number of tracks in its catalogue for a monthly fee of R25 or R60.
The R60/month option includes streaming on mobile devices as well as the ability to download tracks for offline listening.
In a press statement announcing its top 25, Simfy said that the chart is dominated by the pop genre, adding that it was “delighted” to announce that 5 of the top 25 songs were from South African artists.
“This is a clear nod of approval to the immense emphasis that the service has placed on its South African catalogue since launch,” Simfy said. “A special mention goes to ISO, iFani, and LCNVL who made the top 50.”
The top album on Simfy in South Africa is “Babel” by Mumford & Sons, followed by “The Truth About Love” by P!nk.
Honours for the top South African album went to “Wilder as die Wildtuin” by Die Heuwels Fantasties.
The top artist was Mumford & Sons, which Simfy said was closely followed by Linkin Park and P!nk. The most popular South African artist is Jimmy Nevis, followed by Kongos and Joyous Celebration.
Simfy Africa said that its top user listened to the equivalent of 93 full days of music in the year (or 2231 hours of music); with the next closest user listening to 78 days of music in the year (1873 hours).
“A recent birthday promotion measured the amount of music listened to in one weekend,” Simfy said. “The winner clocked up 798 plays over the three days, which is 53.5 hours of music.”
Simfy Africa said it is closing in on 7 million overall plays by its users since launch, with more than 60,000 playlists created in total.
Of the Simfy apps, the Desktop App is the clear favourite so far, Simfy said, but in terms of platforms and devices the iPhone is the most popular, followed by Android and BlackBerry.
The Simfy Africa Top 25 for 2012 – 2013
- Some Nights – Fun.
- I Will Wait – Mumford & Sons
- Locked Out Of Heaven – Bruno Mars
- Try – P!nk
- Better Together – Jack Johnson
- Runaways – The Killers
- Heartboxing – Jimmy Nevis
- Blurred Lines – Robin Thicke
- Come With Me Now – KONGOS
- Hall of Fame – The Script
- She Wolf (Falling to Pieces) [feat. Sia] – David Guetta
- Don’t You Worry Child (Radio Edit) [feat. John Martin] – Swedish House Mafia
- Get Lucky – Daft Punk
- Love Can – Shaun Jacobs
- Just Give Me a Reason – P!nk
- Call Me Maybe – Carly Rae Jepsen
- Love Is In The Air – Toya Delazy
- Scream & Shout – will.i.am
- Wie’s bang – Van Coke Kartel
- Diamonds – Rihanna
- Anything Could Happen – Ellie Goulding
- BURN IT DOWN – Linkin Park
- Payphone – Maroon 5
- Ho Hey – The Lumineers
- Pompeii – Bastille