A lawsuit in which the media company Viacom accused internet video platform YouTube of illegally posting videos has been settled, Viacom and YouTube owner Google announced Tuesday.
The 1-billion-dollar lawsuit claimed YouTube violated copyrights by letting users post videos from television shows without Viacom’s permission.
Among Viacom’s holdings are the music television channel MTV and the movie studio Paramount. Terms of the settlement were not disclosed.
“This settlement reflects the growing collaborative dialogue between our two companies on important opportunities, and we look forward to working more closely together,” the companies said in a joint press release.
The suit was filed in 2007. The judge ruled against Viacom, which appealed the ruling. In 2012 the appeals court returned the case to the lower court, which last year again ruled in Google’s favour.
Google, which bought YouTube in 2006, argued that it had removed the infringing videos from the YouTube website. It also said Viacom uploaded its own videos to YouTube to promote its programmes and it couldn’t determine which videos were unauthorized and which weren’t.