Warning: take proof of address when renewing your car licence

A new National Road Traffic Regulation requiring motorists to provide proof of identity and address will kick in on 1 November 2015.

This is similar to RICA in telecoms or FICA in banking, and will be used to update the Electronic National Administration Traffic Information System (eNaTIS) database.

eNaTIS is used by various national authorities, including Sanral when it sends out e-toll bills.

Motorists will have from November 2015 until November 2016 to provide the traffic department with updated proof of identity and address particulars.

Justice Project South Africa warned that the regulations allow authorities to refuse the issue of a licence disc if you have not provided proof of your physical and postal address.

This means that motorists and companies will have to provide the following information to register vehicles, and renew licence discs and driving licences:

  • Full names, date of birth, identity number, and business registration number, along with any form of acceptable identification.
  • Proof of postal and residential address, by means of any utility account. As with RICA and FICA, if your name isn’t on the account you need an affidavit from the person in whose name the account is stating you live at that address.
  • If you live in an informal settlement, you need a letter with an official date stamp from the ward councillor confirming your postal and residential address.

In addition, you must complete and hand in a form NCP (notification of change in particulars). This form is available at all licensing authorities or online.

Updating your details online

The new regulations stated people would be able to comply with the new requirement through the Department of Transport’s website.

However, the JPSA said it has not been able to find any facility provided on that website, the eNaTIS website, or any traffic-related government website.

“This will undoubtedly contribute to longer queues at licensing authorities than are strictly necessary,” said the JPSA.

“It is also not unreasonable to assume that many licensing authorities will take this as an additional opportunity to tell people that they have to pay all of their outstanding traffic fines in order to get their licence disc, even though this is not true.”

The JPSA advised motorists to go to the licensing authority armed with all of the required address verification documentation to enable them to comply with the new regulations.

Outstanding e-tolls, no car licence – Sanral tells government to clamp down

E-tolls on the brink of total collapse: report

eNaTIS proof of address changes will help E-tolls bill you

You must give eNaTIS new proof of ID and address soon

Latest news

Partner Content

Show comments


Share this article
Warning: take proof of address when renewing your car licence