A video published by TimesLive of Reshall Jimmy’s Ford Kuga burning clearly shows the front of the vehicle on fire, with no flames at the back of the car.
On Monday, Ford launched a safety recall of 4,556 Ford Kuga 1.6-litre models in South Africa – similar to the vehicle in which Jimmy died.
Ford said the engine fires necessitating the recall were due to overheating, which caused a crack in the cylinder head, which caused an oil leak. This could lead to fires, said Ford.
Ford has maintained that the fire in Jimmy’s Kuga started at the back of the vehicle and have not taken responsibility for the incident.
“That is clearly evidenced by the level of fire damage to the rear and the relative lack of damage to the front of the Kuga‚” said Ford South Africa.
The Jimmy family, however, believes that an electrical fault in the dashboard was to blame for the fire which killed Reshall.
The video, which shows flames at the front and inside of Jimmy’s Kuga, will make it difficult for Ford to stick to its original statement on the matter.