Numerous Facebook accounts are hacked every day, giving cyber criminals access to sensitive information.
Hackers can also use compromised Facebook accounts to post promotional material, or unsavoury content like pornography.
Cyber criminals use various methods to hack Facebook accounts, including brute force password attacks, malware, or social engineering.
Fortunately, it is not difficult to see if your Facebook account has been compromised.
Facebook said the following signs indicate that your account may have been hacked.
- Your email or password has been changed
- Your name or birthday has been changed
- Friend requests have been sent to people you don’t know
- Messages have been sent that you didn’t write
- Posts have been made that you didn’t create
- Strange activity on your advertising account
One of the easiest ways to see if your account has been hacked is to look at which locations you are logged in from – as detailed below.
If your Facebook account has been hacked, you must change your password. Details on how to do it here.