Samsung Galaxy S5 owners who purchased their smartphones from Kalahari – before it merged with Takealot – may find their device going dead without warning in the near future.
According to a report in the Sunday Times, Galaxy S5 owners who bought the phone from the online retailer in the past year may have their device blacklisted.
One such S5 owner was Izak Boshoff, whose phone “went dead” recently. He investigated the matter, and discovered the device had been blacklisted by Telkom.
“Telkom advised me that the device was not Kalahari’s to sell and that ownership still vested with it,” said Boshoff. He had bought the phone from Kalahari in August 2014, for R7,699.
Why the phone was blacklisted
According to the report, a businessman – vetted by Telkom – signed contracts with the company for around 500 Samsung and 500 iPhone smartphones around 2012, allegedly for his own staff to use.
For three years the businessman paid for the contracts, but early in 2015, he stopped payment.
Telkom blacklisted the handsets due to the non-payment, but the businessman had already sold a batch of the Samsung smartphones. Some of these units ended up with Kalahari, and were sold to customers.
Takealot helps out
Boshoff complained to Takealot about the incident, and his S5 was collected and bank account credited with the purchase price of the device soon after.
“The question remains: how many other unsuspecting consumers have been affected, and what is being done to assists them,” he said.
Takealot said it will offer replacement models or a refund to all blacklisted S5 customers who contact the company for assistance.
The retailer was unable to confirm how many Galaxy S5s may be affected by the incident.
The full report is available in the Sunday Times of 26 July 2015.