The risk when buying a non-approved smartphone battery

A Cape Town man thinks his house could have burnt down after his 10-year-old Samsung SGH-E370 cellphone burst into flames while charging in his study.

Ray Butters contacted the Sunday Times Power Report after the incident took place in December. He managed to extinguish the fire before it spread.

According to the report, the decade-old phone was given to him by his daughter – along with “original accessories”.

Butters and the Power Report contacted Samsung, which replaced his phone with a new Samsung Galaxy A3.

The company said that due to the age of the phone, its battery had most likely been replaced.

“The cause of the fire couldn’t be determined due to the extent of the damage on the battery,” stated the report.

“If a nonoriginal Samsung battery, not bought through an authorised Samsung dealer, was used as a replacement, the battery could have been faulty,” said Samsung.

Samsung said it had seen similar incidents in the past, which were “generally related to improper use and the use of counterfeit parts and accessories”.

Repairs at non-approved outlets were also a problem, said the company.

The full report is available in the Sunday Times of 6 March 2016.

More on smartphones

How to check which apps use the most battery on your smartphone

Samsung Galaxy S7 pre-orders in South Africa – what people want to buy

Latest news

Partner Content

Show comments


Share this article
The risk when buying a non-approved smartphone battery