Samsung has announced that most of its customers who bought Galaxy Note 7 smartphones are sticking with the device.
This follows a recall of the phone after some owners reported that theirs caught fire and exploded while charging.
“Just over three weeks ago, Samsung committed to a global replacement programme for the Galaxy Note7,” said DJ Koh, president of the mobile communications business at Samsung Electronics.
“Last week, that programme began for the majority of markets and the progress is encouraging. Our focus now is to make sure that all affected devices are replaced as quickly and efficiently as possible.”
According to Samsung:
- Around 90% of Galaxy Note 7 users have been choosing a new Galaxy Note7 since products became widely available.
- More than 60% of all recalled Galaxy Note7 phones sold in the U.S. and Korea have been exchanged through the program.
- In Singapore, more than 80% of customers have participated in the exchange program, which started on September 17.
“We are humbled by our customers’ loyalty to the Galaxy Note7 device,” said Koh. “This is why we want them to take advantage of their local replacement program so that they can continue to feel confident and excited every time they reach for their Galaxy Note 7 device.”
Samsung said that although there have only been a small number of reported incidents involving the Galaxy Note 7’s battery, it is taking great care, and working with national regulatory bodies to give customers the necessary support.
Those who have affected Galaxy Note 7 devices should power down and return their devices, Samsung said. They can replace their current device with a new device based on local availability.
“We encourage Galaxy Note 7 customers to contact their place of purchase or call the designated local call center as soon as possible.”
More on the Galaxy Note 7
Samsung Galaxy Note 7 – new South African launch window
Exploding batteries caused by Samsung rushing to beat Apple iPhone 7
Galaxy Note 7 battery problems resolved: Samsung
Samsung shares plunge after latest Galaxy Note 7 explosion warning




Join the conversation Autoload comments
Comments section policy: MyBroadband has a new article comments policy which aims to encourage constructive discussions. To get your comments published, make sure it is civil and adds value to the discussion.