Huawei has announced that it will roll out its version of Android 9 – EMUI 9 – for older model Huawei and Honor smartphones.
“EMUI 9 marks the second major version upgrade for previous generation Huawei phones,” Huawei said.
“This will ensure all Huawei and Honor users can enjoy an even better and smoother user experience.”
Huawei did not list all the smartphones which will be receiving the EMUI 9 update, but it did name the following devices:
- Huawei P20 Lite
- Huawei P Smart
- Huawei P20
- Huawei Mate 20 Series
- Huawei Mate 9
- Huawei P10
EMUI 9 will roll out to the P Smart and P20 Lite at the end of June and to the Mate 20 Series in July.
The company said EMUI 9 updates for other Huawei models will be announced soon.
EMUI 9 features
“The upgrade will also bring natural and immersive UX design, convenient one-hand operation and new gesture navigation.”
Other new features in Huawei’s EMUI 9 operating system include:
- Improving random read speed by up to 30%.
- Refining app launch speed by more than 10% while the system is under heavy load.
- Reducing the space the operating system uses by 2GB.
- Reducing low-efficiency data re-reading and system lag caused by decompressing data.
- Improving security, as third parties cannot violate the integrity of the system data.
- Providing a clear boundary between icons and wallpaper, making icons easy to spot regardless of background design.
- Enhancing the app icon design while making icons 10% bigger.
- Minimising mistouches with a design of four apps in each row, instead of five.
To check if your device is eligible for an upgrade to EMUI 9, navigate to the Software Update menu within the Settings app and check for updates.
Users can also sign up for EMUI upgrades through the Huawei HiCare app or visit their nearest service centre to download the latest version of EMUI for their Huawei or Honor smartphone.