Apple has released iOS 11.3 for its mobile device users.
The update measures in at 708MB on an iPhone X, and packs a wide range of new features.
Apple said the latest update adds ARKit 1.5 for “more immersive augmented reality experiences”.
It also adds support for iPhone Battery Health, albeit the Beta.
Battery Health displays information on an iPhone’s maximum battery capacity and peak performance capability.
“This update also includes stability improvements and bug fixes,” said Apple.
The features added in iOS 11.3 are listed below.
- ARKit 1.5 allows developers to place digital objects on vertical surfaces like walls and doors in addition to horizontal surfaces.
- Adds support for detecting and incorporating images like film posters or artwork into AR experiences.
- Supports a higher-resolution real-world camera view when using AR experiences.
iPhone Battery Health (Beta)
- Displays information on iPhone maximum battery capacity and peak performance capability.
- Indicates if the performance management feature that dynamically manages maximum performance to prevent unexpected shutdowns is on, and includes the option to disable it.
- Recommends if a battery needs to be replaced.
iPad charge management
- Maintains battery health when iPad is connected to power for prolonged periods of time, such as when it is used in kiosks, point of sale systems, or stored in charging carts.
- Introduces four new Animoji on iPhone X: lion, bear, dragon and skull.
- When an Apple feature asks to use your personal information, an icon now appears along with a link to detailed information explaining how your data will be used and protected.
- Features a new music video experience, including an updated Music Videos section with exclusive video playlists.
- Find friends who have similar tastes using updated suggestions in Apple Music that reveal genres people enjoy and mutual friends who follow them.
- Top Stories now always appear first in For You.
- Watch Top Videos curated by News editors.
- Adds ability to sort customer reviews on product pages by Most Helpful, Most Favourable, Most Critical or Most Recent.
- Improves Updates tab information with app version and file size.
- Helps protect privacy by only autofilling usernames and passwords after selecting them in a web form field.
- Includes warnings in the Smart Search field when interacting with password or credit card forms on non-encrypted web pages.
- Autofill for usernames and passwords is now available in web views within apps.
- Articles shared to Mail from Safari are now formatted using Reader mode by default when Reader is available.
- Folders in Favourites now show icons for the bookmarks contained within.
- Adds two new Shuangpin keyboard layouts.
- Adds support for connected hardware keyboards using the Turkish F keyboard layout.
- Improves Chinese and Japanese keyboards for better reachability on 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch devices.
- Enables switching back to the keyboard after dictation with just one tap.
- Addresses an issue where auto-correct could incorrectly capitalise some words.
- Fixes an issue on iPad Pro that prevented the iPad Smart Keyboard from working after connecting to a captive Wi-Fi access point.
- Fixes an issue that could cause the Thai keyboard to incorrectly switch to the numeric layout when in landscape mode.
- App Store adds accessibility support for bold and large text for display customisation.
- Smart Invert adds support for images on the web and in Mail messages.
- Improves RTT experience and adds RTT support for T-Mobile.
- Improves app switching on iPad for VoiceOver and Switch Control users.
- Addresses an issue where VoiceOver incorrectly described Bluetooth status and badge icons.
- Fixes an issue where the end call button might not be presented in the Phone app when using VoiceOver.
- Fixes an issue where in-app app rating was not accessible with VoiceOver.
- Resolves an issue when using Live Listen that could distort audio playback.
Other improvements and fixes
- Introduces support for the AML standard, which provides more accurate location data to emergency responders when SOS is triggered (in supported countries).
- Adds support for software authentication as a new way for developers to create and enable HomeKit-compatible accessories.
- Podcasts now plays episodes with a single tap, and you can tap Details to learn more about each episode.
- Improves search performance for users with long notes in Contacts.
- Improves performance of Handoff and Universal Clipboard when both devices are on the same Wi-Fi network.
- Fixes an issue that could prevent incoming calls from waking the display.
- Addresses an issue that could delay or prevent playback of Visual Voicemail.
- Resolves an issue that prevented opening a web link in Messages.
- Fixes an issue that could prevent users from returning to Mail after previewing a message attachment.
- Fixes an issue that could cause Mail notifications to reappear on the Lock screen after they had been cleared.
- Resolves an issue that could cause time and notifications to disappear from the Lock screen.
- Resolves an issue that prevented parents from using Face ID to approve Ask to Buy requests.
- Fixes an issue in Weather where current weather conditions may not have been updated.
- Fixes an issue where contacts may not sync with a car’s phone book when connected over Bluetooth.
- Addresses an issue that could prevent audio apps from playing in cars when the app was in the background.