Discovery has announced new ways to earn Vitality fitness points.
It will introduce “more opportunities to earn fitness points”, including new categories for heart rate workouts, from 20 August 2016.
“The update is designed to encourage people to exercise regularly in a safe way,” said Discovery.
“Discovery Vitality has reviewed processes to obtain and measure event, device, and heart rate data in an attempt to address consumer concerns, and to ensure the right levels of continued participation in physical activity.”
From 20 August, Vitality members will be able to earn fitness points in the following new ways:
- By taking part in any timed and verified race event locally or internationally in the disciplines of cycling, walking/running, swimming, and major multisport events.
- The 50 points category for tracking 5,000 steps a day is being reintroduced for those just starting out.
- There will be a new heart rate points category for workouts between 60-69% and 70-79% of age-related maximum heart rate targets.
- Endurance and high-performance athletes can apply to be part of a new category to earn points for longer-duration workouts.
- For all Vitality Active Rewards members (excluding those in the new Endurance and High Performance category), the weekly maximum goal will be lowered to 900 points – from 1,200.
- The weekly maximum goal will remain 600 points for at-risk members with certain chronic conditions, health concerns during pregnancy, or members aged 65+ with risk factors.