Cape Town gets interdict against Winelands e-toll

The City of Cape Town was granted an interim interdict on Tuesday halting the proposed N1/N2 Winelands Toll Highway Project in the Western Cape.

Western Cape High Court Judge Ashley Binns-Ward ordered that interim relief be granted pending the same court’s review of the SA National Road Agency Ltd’s (Sanral) decision to implement the toll project.

The city argued last week that Sanral’s decision was irrational because it claimed the transport minister at the time, Jeff Radebe, approved the project without knowing the full costs involved.

It also argued that Sanral was withholding vital documents from it. These included a toll feasibility and strategy report and documents proving the board came to a decision on the project.

Chris Loxton, for Sanral, last week said the agency was not being deceitful about the project’s cost. It was simply “impossible to know” at present stage, he said. He criticised the city for taking three years to institute legal proceedings.

The proposed concession route along the N1 extends from west of the R300 interchange through to Sandhills. The N2 portion of the proposed toll road concession extends from west of the R300 to Bot River.

About 180km of highway would be tolled should the project go ahead.

More e-toll news

City of Cape Town wants e-toll report

Cosatu plans to march against e-tolls

Don’t be “fooled” into buying e-tags: SAMWU

DA politicising e-toll: SANRAL

Western Cape e-toll will create 5,000 jobs: SANRAL

Latest news

Partner Content

Show comments

Recommended

Share this article
Cape Town gets interdict against Winelands e-toll