A group of protesters who had gathered outside Cosatu headquarters on Friday morning dispersed after the march against e-tolls was cancelled.
The group, clad in Congress of SA Trade Unions colours, had been singing anti-e-toll slogans outside the offices throughout the morning.
They marched up and down the adjacent Simmonds Street under the watchful eye of members of the Johannesburg metro police, the SA Police Service, and provincial traffic officials.
The Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court on Thursday dismissed Cosatu’s application to embark on a drive-slow protest on the city’s highways.
Cosatu approached the court after metro police refused it permission for the protest.
Cosatu Gauteng secretary Dumisani Dakile told the protesters that the campaign against e-tolls in the province would intensify.
“We respect the law, but if other people are going to manipulate it, then we will defy [it].”
He accused the JMPD of “deliberately” halting the march by not granting permission to do so.
The union federation is set to meet with Ekhuruleni Metro officials at 3pm today to discuss another anti-e-toll protest planned for May 31 at the metro, said Dakile.More e-toll news