Newly-appointed Communications Minister Mmamoloko Kubayi says the Independent Communications Authority of South Africa (ICASA) is ready to receive complaints related to the theft of mobile phone data.
Responding to oral questions, the Minister made her maiden appearance in the National Council of Provinces on Wednesday in her new Communications Portfolio.
Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) Member of Parliament Nkagisang Mokgotsi had asked whether the department has conducted an investigation into the alleged theft of customer data.
The Minister, who had chaired hearings on the cost of data under the banner #DataMustFall, said ICASA was yet to receive complaints.
“The Independent Communications Authority of South Africa has established a complaints and compliance committee, in terms of section 17(a) of the ICASA Act number 13 of 2000, to investigate and hear if appropriate, make a finding on all matters referred to the authority and complaints received by it.
“To date, the authority has not received any information regarding the theft of data. However, upon receipt of such information, a detailed investigation will be conducted and a report can be available,” she said.
SIU commences work at SABC
Meanwhile, Minister Kubayi said the Special Investigating Unit (SIU) has commenced its probe into the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC).
Last month, the Presidency announced that President Jacob Zuma had signed a proclamation to give the SIU a mandate to investigate matters related to procurement.
The investigation will look at contracting for goods, work or services by or on behalf of the SABC from various companies or service providers and payments made in respect thereof in a manner that was not fair, transparent, competitive and equitable or cost effective.
The investigation will also look at whether there was any undisclosed or unauthorised interest that certain members of the personnel of the SABC may have had with regard to contractors, suppliers or service providers, who submitted bids for work or did business with the SABC; or contractors awarded by or on behalf of the SABC.
The proclamation further authorised the SIU to investigate allegations of:
- Serious maladministration in connection with the affairs of the SABC;
- Improper or unlawful conduct by board members, officials or employees of the SABC;
- Unlawful appropriation or expenditure of public money or property;
- Unlawful, irregular or unapproved acquisitive act, transaction, measure or practice having a bearing upon State property;
- Intentional or negligent loss of public money or damage to public property; and
- Unlawful or improper conduct by any person, which has caused or may cause serious harm to the interests of the public or any category thereof.
Minister Kubayi said: “The SIU has already commenced its work and in fact, I am informed that they have been allocated an office at the SABC.
“Once the investigation is complete, it is only then that the truth will be known. It must be noted that government has sufficient institutions in the country, such as the Hawks and Assets Forfeiture Unit, to deal with all alleged misconduct and it is not up to the Minister to predetermine the outcome of the investigation.”