The 2011 MyBroadband Award winners were announced today (26 October 2011) at the annual MyBroadband Conference held at Vodacom World in Midrand.
MyBroadband founder Rudolph Muller explained that the awards are based on a number of factors, including:
- Two MyBroadband surveys with over 15,000 responses.
- Forum polls and feedback.
- MyBroadband speed tests (50,000+).
- Ookla Speedtest.net results (1,000,000+).
- Product pricing and other details.
There are five awards, which were handed out in the following order:
- Person of the year: Lars Reichelt, former Cell C CEO (Runner up: Rudi Jansen, MWEB CEO).
- ISP of the year: Afrihost (Runners up: Mweb, Web Africa).
- Mobile broadband service of the year: 8ta (Runner up: Cell C).
- Fixed broadband service of the year: Telkom 10Mbps ADSL (Runner up: Telkom 1Mbps ADSL).
- Broadband Maverick of the year: 8ta (Runner up: Afrihost).
MyBroadband members also vote on which person or organisation they think messed up the most in the telecommunications sector.
ICASA was once again named as the “Loser of the year,” making this the third year in a row that they have been voted such.