Amazon has announced its selections for the Best Books of 2019, with Margaret Atwood’s “The Testaments” – a sequel to “The Handmaid’s Tale” – being crowned the victor.
The list features Amazon’s top 100 books of the year, plus top 20 lists which span the categories of literary fiction, mystery and thriller, biography, children’s, and young adult.
These books were hand-selected by a team of Amazon’s editors, first by choosing the top books of each month, and then deciding which deserve to be in the yearly list.
“The Books Editorial team reads thousands of new releases every year, all with the goal of recommending the very best to our customers,” said Sarah Gelman, Editorial Director at Amazon Books.
“This year there were so many great books from various genres. Our top 100 Best Books list includes books with clever satire, heartwarming memoirs and psychological thrillers.”
However, Gelman said that as soon as the team read “The Testaments”, they knew that it would be the winner.
“The sequel to the modern classic The Handmaid’s Tale enraptured our editorial team and readers across the globe with a dramatic continuation of goings-on in the dystopian Republic of Gilead,” said Gelman.
“It’s so exciting to witness literary history being made, and Atwood has done just that with this deeply moving book.”
The Amazon Top 10 books of 2019 are as follows:
- The Testaments – Margaret Atwood
- The Nickel Boys: A Novel – Colson Whitehead
- Wild Game – Adrienne Brodeur
- Quichotte: A Novel – Salman Rushdie
- The Starless Sea – Erin Morgenstern
- Super Pumped: The Battle for Uber – Mike Iaac
- City of Girls: A Novel – Elizabeth Gilbert
- They Called us Enemy – George Takei, Justin Eisinger, Steven Scott, Harmony Becker.
- The Silent Patient – Alex Michaelides
- Maybe You Should Talk to Someone – Lori Gottlieb