Netgear’s Orbi Wi-Fi System is due to launch worldwide in September, and promises users “a whole new way to experience Wi-Fi”.
Local distributor Duxbury Networking said the Wi-Fi system, which features a router and a satellite, will sell for between R10,999 and R11,999 – depending on exchange rate fluctuations.
The Tri-band mesh network of the Orbi system will give users high-speed Wi-Fi connectivity “throughout their entire home”.
Netgear said the system will eliminate Wi-Fi dead zones in a home thanks to its Tri-band Wi-Fi capabilities – which allow the Orbi router to have a dedicated wireless channel to each of the system’s Orbi satellites.
This gives users “maximum speeds no matter how many devices connect”.
Features of the Orbi system include:
- Single SSID for entire network (2.4GHz and 5GHz bands).
- 802.11ac AC3000 Wi-Fi speeds up to 3Gbps.
- 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports and 1 USB 2.0 port each on the router and satellite.
- IPv6, Dynamic DNS, port forwarding, parental controls, and access point mode.
- WPS-protected setup, 64/128 bit WEP, WPA/WPA-2 PSK, WPA/WPA-2 Enterprise.