Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

View RSS Feed

Fazda

1. Saudi Adventure Part 5

This was NOT my idea of teaching!

Again, remarks had been made that I would live out at the palace, separated from the rest of the teachers from South Africa…was I to be treated as a Philippine servant? Kept at the palace at their beck and call? I didn’t know, and yet the paranoia mounted! Again, I look at my dairy, where I question myself about being irrational. Why was there this fear, why the paranoia…was I losing my head?

“School” began again at 2 p.m. the next ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Saudi Adventure Part 4

18:00 that evening I had a call from Bassam, saying that he had set up a meeting with myself and Khalaf (The Prince who owns the school) for 19:00 that evening, and would be picked up in about 30 minutes. The driver duly arrived 45 minutes later, and drove me to the school where Bassam was on his own, and made it very clear that he would like me to work at the school, but feared that Khalaf had other ideas for me, and would be in shortly. A half hour wait saw the arrival of Khalaf in his Burgundy ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Saudi Adventure Part 3

ARRIVAL IN RIYADH

“Finally, after the ordeal at the airport, we were driven to the Assamer Hotel ‘somewhere’ in the city, shown two magnificent skyscrapers, apparently built by two Saudi Princes each one trying to outdo the other. Air conditioning pumping full bore in Room 111 in an hotel which can only be described as something like the Central Hotel in Colesburg…three star, but rather jaded around the edges, complete with curtains sagging over frosted glass windows, to avoid the ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Saudi Adventure Part 2

Dubai was a misty muggy 36 degrees Celsius at 5:30 in the morning, but the air-conditioned acres of airport soon took care of that and we were whisked through customs to the waiting bus which was to take us off to the beautiful Airport Hotel where we were fed a delightful breakfast, and given a suite in which to catch up on some much needed sleep.

The only thing missing was a razor, as it was not allowed on board as hand luggage, being considered a weapon of mass destruction since ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. A Trip to Remember

In October1968 I bought a beautiful 1965 Austin 1100 with 35000 miles on the clock, whilst attempting to write end of year exams at Natal University. Buying a new car and writing exams do not actually mix…but that’s another story!

I couldn’t wait to hop into my new baby and go home to Phalaborwa and show my parents how good I was at choosing a car for myself. The day after the exams ended, I loaded the Austin up, and along with a mate of mine, Mike Schwartz, headed north at a steady ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast