Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: Electricity usage (and costs) of common household appliances

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lupus View Post
    Also look at lights, the old incandescent lights can chew through electricity as well, LED is becoming really affordable and the light it provides is much better then those CCFL energy savers.
    Most of our globes are those curly ones but looking at pics on google they probably aren't LED. Garden lights would be the place to start. I'll have to buy one or two at a time because they're quite expensive.
    Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense

Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 3lOH55A View Post
    What area is this for?
    How does one move to this light option? I'm paying 1.90 or something per kW. Also using under 600 units a month.
    The Tarif is available to any one directly with Eskom
    It costs about R900 bucks to convert. There is a limit though on the amperage (60 or 80 not sure exactly) so if you have high power equipment you can't go on this tariff.
    If you check your slips when you buy electricity you will notice there's a network charge comes to about R3 a day (so +/- R90 a month) so you make back your R900 in 10 months
    Some times the internet is so slow, it would be faster to just fly to Google's headquarters and ask them this $h1t in person.!

Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maumau View Post
    Most of our globes are those curly ones but looking at pics on google they probably aren't LED. Garden lights would be the place to start. I'll have to buy one or two at a time because they're quite expensive.
    squigly ones are energy savers, use less then incandescent but LED is the way to go to save more.
    Some times the internet is so slow, it would be faster to just fly to Google's headquarters and ask them this $h1t in person.!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by isie View Post
    squigly ones are energy savers, use less then incandescent but LED is the way to go to save more.
    Ah, I suspected as much. Thanks for confirming.
    Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eltherza View Post
    Anyone have a good idea on a laptop's power usage?
    This depends whether you charger is all the time powering your laptop. It varies from 1 Ampere to 3 Ampere /18 Volt. with an efficiency of 84% gives you an average of (1,5 x 18 )/0.84 x 24 hours = 772 watts per day = per month 23 kwh or units. We pay R1.60 per kwh and that means R36,- having it on all the time. I normally remove the charger after use, which saves me about 20 Rand per laptop ( I have 3 running). Trust that this helps you. I like to live in the area which charges 40.1 cents/kwh instead of 1,60. I think the calculations are some 20 years old with 40.1 cents /kwh Bert

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314