Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cost of setting up a WiMax solution in Africa

Default Cost of setting up a WiMax solution in Africa

Good day,

If I want to set up a WiMax solution in a city in central Africa how much will the hardware cost (thumb such is good enough)
    Specs required:
    need to cover 25km^2
    need around 10000 CPE's
    servers, networking, PSUs, etc

Then how much will the cost be (thumb suck again) on setting up the ISP, call centers and so on and so forth.

I am being quoted a massive amount and I have a suspicion I am being ripped off in my quote.

Please, an accurate ballpark figure will do.

well the equipment for home use cost R8000 grand alone...(hear say)

there is no accurate ballpark figure ....but an estimated guess

A call centre is offcourse mega bucks
    hardware you can either get temp solution or you can buy the best now that will last for a year or two
    Personally I would say that the whole process / hardware etc etc should not cost more than R200.000

Smile COST OF A WiMAX NETWORK

Hi There,

I saw your request for a quote on a WiMAX network. Would need to know some more high level specifics on the network deployment that you would be looking at and if you need Fixed, Mobile or Nomadic WiMAX network + also the frequency.

High Level Though :

WiMAX 802.16e Solution / Sector is USD 15000
    You need ~ 3 sectors /Basestation ~ USD 45 000

For a 25KM network you would need 10 Base Stations approx, a detailed RF plan would be required to predict the exact coverage location. Rule of thumb is that for good LOS coverage a WiMAX basestation would cover 2.5 KM2.

The basestation network mentioned above could deliver about 300 - 600 MBit/s traffic that would need to be backhauled to a central location and could handle 6000 concurrent substibers (600 /base station location).

WiMAX CPE's

PCMCIA Cards go for USD 125 - 150 /ea (Depending on Type and functionality)
    IAD (Wireless Routers with WiFI and VoIP) go for USD 150 - 175 (Depending on Type and Functionality)
    Outdoor CPE's go for $ 200 - $ 250 /ea
    (Depending in Type and Functionality)

Billing Systems

A billing system that could handle the functionality goes for $ 10 /subscriber + the hardware costs of about $ 150K

.... there's a bit more but as I say would need to know your requirments further to help you out. If you interesed you can contact me on SKYPE ebribur or check out www.convergex.co.za

Hi

Sorry, but I have to disagree with the previous post.

Firstly, the cost of the physical WiMAX hardware is only a smal portion of deploying a WiMAX Base Station. I'm currently involved in 2 WiMAX roll-outs in South Africa, and I can tell you this. If you include civil works, Mast, WiMA Equipment, Backup Power, Transmission Equipment, etc you get to about R1,2mil per Base Station (Mobile WiMAX). This is for proper Telco-Grade WiMAX though, no backyard assembly stuff. The CPE's are still around R2500/each although prices will come down relatively quickly.

Secondly, there is no Vendor that can do 300 to 600MBit/s throughput per Base Station, even the 70Mbps as quoted in most articles is a pipe-dream (unless you have unlimited spectrum at your diposal). Realistically you can look at about 7 to 14 Mbps per Sector (Based on 5 to 10 Mhz of spectrum per sector).

You should be able to get about 1.5 - 2km worth of reach from the BS, which gives you up to 12km^2 coverage per BS. Realistically you don't want more than 500 CPE's per BS though, so you'll need about 20 BS's to AVERAGE 500 subs per BS, in reality you'd probably need more than twice that.

The backend systems and core network is also quite expensive. On the network side you need an ASN Gateway, AAA Server, DHCP Server, some big-ass routers, etc.
    On the backend side you need a network monitoring system, provisioning system, CRM system, billing system, order management system, etc.

The only place WiMAX will make financial sense with current pricing models is in developing countries where little or no fixed infrastructure exists, prices are still very high and you have at least 30Mhz of spectrum.

Good luck!

Please will you contact me a3aan I have info on wimax networks in africa and will be able to help you [email protected]

TeleGuru could you please contact me, I was researching some ISP from scratch solutions in the US and would like to discuss with you a few things.

alisalaah 'at' gmail 'dot' com

Hi. Can you please assist me with the prices of WiMAX units in SA? Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by TeleGuru View Post
    Hi

Sorry, but I have to disagree with the previous post.

Firstly, the cost of the physical WiMAX hardware is only a smal portion of deploying a WiMAX Base Station. I'm currently involved in 2 WiMAX roll-outs in South Africa, and I can tell you this. If you include civil works, Mast, WiMA Equipment, Backup Power, Transmission Equipment, etc you get to about R1,2mil per Base Station (Mobile WiMAX). This is for proper Telco-Grade WiMAX though, no backyard assembly stuff. The CPE's are still around R2500/each although prices will come down relatively quickly.

Secondly, there is no Vendor that can do 300 to 600MBit/s throughput per Base Station, even the 70Mbps as quoted in most articles is a pipe-dream (unless you have unlimited spectrum at your diposal). Realistically you can look at about 7 to 14 Mbps per Sector (Based on 5 to 10 Mhz of spectrum per sector).

You should be able to get about 1.5 - 2km worth of reach from the BS, which gives you up to 12km^2 coverage per BS. Realistically you don't want more than 500 CPE's per BS though, so you'll need about 20 BS's to AVERAGE 500 subs per BS, in reality you'd probably need more than twice that.

The backend systems and core network is also quite expensive. On the network side you need an ASN Gateway, AAA Server, DHCP Server, some big-ass routers, etc.
    On the backend side you need a network monitoring system, provisioning system, CRM system, billing system, order management system, etc.

The only place WiMAX will make financial sense with current pricing models is in developing countries where little or no fixed infrastructure exists, prices are still very high and you have at least 30Mhz of spectrum.

Good luck!

can you also help me with the price of the wimax equipment in SA? [email protected] or 0720468452. olimuf

+ Reply to Thread