Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting a number off the National Consumer Database

Hey all,

Found you through google, i got a cold call from someone trying to sell me something (i have no idea what he was talking about - wasnt listening!).

It was only after the call that i wondered where the company got my information, which lead me to this thread. I've looked at some of the links and most appear to be voluntary codes of conduct and not actual acts to prohibit cold calling? Am i right that there is no law against cold calling in SA yet?

I see that the Consumer Protect Bill is in its 3rd draft (thedti.gov.za) but doesnt appear to be in place yet...

Any answers would be welcomed!

Default Different??

Hi Uli, on a point of clarity to your statement..."...just remember that this is Africa every thing works the other way around here"...It is the profiteering capitalists from all over the world that work differently in Africa than they do in their own country's.

Have been having the same problem with cold calling, letters, etc... Actually started a fight with Edcon about this, since they have my ID number, linked to my ex's name, and pointing to my new address... thus queried them! All you get is some bull**** excuses. But they also mentioned the fact that they send the ID numbers to the credit bureau to get updated addresses. Who is this credit bureau they are talking about? Is there only a single one in the country? Who is the responsible person for this bureau? 'cause I really want to nail these bastards this time!
    Et tu, Brute?

I came, I saw, I couldn't believe my eyes!

Quote Originally Posted by ettubrute View Post
    Have been having the same problem with cold calling, letters, etc... Actually started a fight with Edcon about this, since they have my ID number, linked to my ex's name, and pointing to my new address... thus queried them! All you get is some bull**** excuses. But they also mentioned the fact that they send the ID numbers to the credit bureau to get updated addresses. Who is this credit bureau they are talking about? Is there only a single one in the country? Who is the responsible person for this bureau? 'cause I really want to nail these bastards this time!
    www.itc.co.za. I can't believe they sold our details.

Actually, it is worse than I thought: I have only one debt at this point in my life, and that is the bond. All other debts where paid up a year before I got this bond, thus (AFAIK) the only credit institution that has my new address is the bank. Since I have not defaulted on the bond, why would my updated details be with the credit bureau? If all debt has to be listed with them, that means they are administering the National Credit Register for the government, and are thus in effect a government department, right? So, does that make the government responsible for the spam I get? Can I start a class action against them?
    Et tu, Brute?

I came, I saw, I couldn't believe my eyes!

Quote Originally Posted by Reiste View Post
    I've been getting cold calls on my cell phone from bunches of companies, all of whom think that I'm somebody I'm not - and always the same person. None of them check my name and ID though - they just start talking.

I finally asked one of them where they got my number from, and it turned out to be this infernal National Consumer Database.

Does anyone know how to get a number off of the NCD once it's on there - especially since I NEVER checked any box that said they could have my number - someone else put my number on under their name, or someone typed it wrong, or something.
    I have exactly the same problem and it's driving me CRAZY. I get calls on my cell Every Single Day for someone else and every time the number comes up as unknown, so I answer it, just in case the call actually is for me and is important.

Are there like 4 milllion different database companies I have to call to put an end to this harassment? The next person to call me asking for Martha is going to get a huge F OFF from me in their ear. This is SERIOUSLY stressful.

Quote Originally Posted by julialeft View Post
    I have exactly the same problem and it's driving me CRAZY. I get calls on my cell Every Single Day for someone else and every time the number comes up as unknown, so I answer it, just in case the call actually is for me and is important.

Are there like 4 milllion different database companies I have to call to put an end to this harassment? The next person to call me asking for Martha is going to get a huge F OFF from me in their ear. This is SERIOUSLY stressful.
    We all get them. What I find most irritating is that when they realise you can;t speak their language and the number is wrong, without exception - they slam down the phone. I try and do it first, but only after I pretend to talk like a Chinaman on acid for a few seconds.

They don't slam down the phone on me until I've abused them for about 10 minutes demanding to speak to their 'supervisors' who are as elusive as the Database itself.
    Problem is, I know the person they're trying to reach. She was my domestic worker about 3 years ago and used my cell as a reference when she opened her Ackermans account.
    I'll be phoning Ackermans next to abuse them if I can just get past the damn call centre staff!!!

I am also getting these calls from Cell C Direct etc .Each time it a different person ,makes you want to go off, the deep end .When you have already told them you not interested in there offers.They just keep pressing my number.

Quote Originally Posted by julialeft View Post
    They don't slam down the phone on me until I've abused them for about 10 minutes demanding to speak to their 'supervisors' who are as elusive as the Database itself.
    Problem is, I know the person they're trying to reach. She was my domestic worker about 3 years ago and used my cell as a reference when she opened her Ackermans account.
    I'll be phoning Ackermans next to abuse them if I can just get past the damn call centre staff!!!
    10 MINUTES. Glory, your abuse skills need honing

Grandmaster

I often get these calls. And the caller can be quite persistant. I now simply put the phone down in their ears.
    Veritas vos liberabit

Telephone solicitations:

Sean: Hello?

Solicitor: Hi, this is the XYZ Company, and I'd like to tell you about a great new way we have to help save you money...

Sean: Excuse me. Is this a solicitation?

Solicitor: Well, yes; I'd like to tell you about...

Sean: Just a moment. I'll be happy to listen to your solicitation, but I do charge for my time. Advertising time on this line is $5 for the first minute and $2 for each additional minute. Let me get your billing address first, and then I'll be happy to listen.

Solicitor: (Pause, baffled) Let me get my supervisor.

>: Have a look at http://www.dmasa.org

I have added myself to the list months ago, and just got a call regarding some wireless 3g service I have no interest in. I was referred to the 'national consumer database'... lol. A 'generic' reply if ever I heard one.

Point is, maybe the DMASA entry did ***koll and I'm now destined to continue this marketing anal probe.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast