Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Getting a number off the National Consumer Database

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter2008 View Post
    Telephone solicitations:

Sean: Hello?

Solicitor: Hi, this is the XYZ Company, and I'd like to tell you about a great new way we have to help save you money...

Sean: Excuse me. Is this a solicitation?

Solicitor: Well, yes; I'd like to tell you about...

Sean: Just a moment. I'll be happy to listen to your solicitation, but I do charge for my time. Advertising time on this line is $5 for the first minute and $2 for each additional minute. Let me get your billing address first, and then I'll be happy to listen.

Solicitor: (Pause, baffled) Let me get my supervisor.
    Classic, I will try this one

Quote Originally Posted by rwenzori View Post
    This "National Consumer Database" is just a bullshirt that telemarketers are trained to refer to. Companies with big lists of consumers trade lists, buy and sell them and whatever. Many telemarketing companies buy their data from a company called ETL, who do nicely targeted extracts off their database for between R1 and R2 per ID number, depending on volume, haggling, etc. The credit bureaux will take your list of ID numbers and "refresh" the contact data for about 50c a record, to ensure you have up-to-date data. So much for privacy. They, of course, are getting updated records monthly from their big retailer subscribers, so it all works jolly well. So, if your telemarketers get one sale every 30 calls, the data cost is about R60.

ETL do allow you to remove your details offa their lists at:

http://www.etl.co.za/

This is like a spam page, where you probably are either opting in or telling them you're alive and kicking. Anyway - if it actually does work as it should - note now the page is not encrpyted. No certificate. Fancy your ID number falling into the wrong hands? Nope, thought not.

http://www.etl.co.za/remove.htm (should be illegal to ask for your personal details without encryption / a certificate involved)

Default More people selling private info

Also had a call today claiming they get my details of the National Consumer Database, but then she wants to tell me although she got my details off the list "now", I already have taken out insurance with them...that it where I stopped her and ripped a strip off her.

The calls are just getting more-and-more by the month...where are the best places to "moan" the most, with the hope they will start looking at this more seriously and protect the consumer. I know, working at the newspapers years ago...they used to sell databases of subscribers as well...so many companies seem to be doing it.

Can't help but think it is because I sent a scathing email to this email below I received yesterday...asking them how they can sell data when they don't have each person on that lists' consent:

Hi,

We are an established Data Brokering Company and due to a change in direction we have elected to sell all our business directory databases with re-sell rights.

Our portfolio consists of 7 databases as listed below.

Many of these are bespoke, sought after, databases. As a consequence of the change of direction in our business we do not wish to make a fortune from selling our databases to other brokers or businesses that may elect to use them for marketing purposes. This means we are able to offer our entire portfolio of 7 databases to you at Only R1999!

Our lists are 99% up to date and accurate, consist of no personal information and are populated from the public domain. (All are presented in Excel files for ease of use.)

We will only be selling these databases to TEN customers to maintain their integrity, so numbers are limited. This offer also ENDS AT CLOSE OF BUSINESS TODAY 10 MARCH 2011, so act fast to avoid disappointment!

Business Lists (SA)-
    1-Gauteng Business List (1)1219 records with 1123 emails
    COMPANY NAME/CONTACT PERSON/TELE/FAX/EMAIL/ADDRESS

2-Gauteng Business List (2) 2086 records with 1637 emails
    COMPANY NAME/TELE/FAX/EMAIL/ADDRESS/WEBSITE

3-SA Business List 30 078 record with 8766 emails
    COMPANY NAME/EMAIL/WEBSITE/TELE/FAX/LOCATION/INDUSTRY TYPE/CONTACT PERSON + POSTION/SIZE

4-Cape Town Business List 2786 records with 1401 emails
    COMPANY NAME/ADDRESS/TELE/EMAIL

5-Western Cape Corporate Business List (Our best list!)
    579 Companies with on average 3 contact people in different positions /company.
    1887 unique email addresses
    COMPANY NAME/INDUSTRY/AREA/STAFF SIZE/FLEET SIZE/TURN OVER/CONTACT PERSON/POSITION/EMAIL/TELE/FAX

Hospitality Lists (SA)-
    6-Hospitality List (1) 8624 records (5000 with email)
    SA Resorts, Guesthouses, hotels, Caravan/camp Parks, Backpackers and self-catering establishments
    NAME/EMAIL/WEBSITE/TELE/FAX/ADDRESS/PROVINCE

7-Hospitality List (2) 7412 records with 7299 emails
    SA Resorts, Guesthouses, hotels, Caravan/camp Parks, Backpackers and self-catering establishments
    COMPANY NAME/EMAIL/TELE/CELL/ADDRESS/CONTACT PERSON

(We also have databases of schools, bottle stores, travel agents and doctors which we will throw in the deal for FREE!) –details of these can be provided.

So that’s ALL of the above and the EXTRA’S for only R1999!

PLEASE NOTE:
    This email is not spam, it was manually sent by us, our sole purpose being to introduce ourselves to you with no obligation on your part.
    Your email address was found to be publicly available and it has not been added to any list. If you wish to unsubscribe anyway, just reply with the word “unsubscribe

Yours Sincerely,
    Graham Naude
    Sales Executive
    Mobile: 072 144 2588
    Email: [email protected]

I thought that this was illegal these days. Getting calls from companies selling stuff. Apparently they got my number from the National Consumer Database.

I don't remember giving them any permission to hand out my detail to anyone.

I sommer sue them bloody *ss.

Use the following link to opt out:

https://www.nationaloptout.co.za/
    Quote Originally Posted by saor View Post
    saor is a dumbass

Quote Originally Posted by vxv View Post
    Thanks for the info, but this DB has to be wiped.
    The Global Consumer Database will soon be the ONLY database.

Quote Originally Posted by vxv View Post
    Seriously, when are we getting our ID tags implanted?
    Not sure if serious.

Quote Originally Posted by rwenzori View Post
    It was done at birth. Catch a wake up
    Do you by any chance happen to know where I can purchase one of those sucker machines that they use on Neo's belly?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123