Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting a number off the National Consumer Database

Default Getting a number off the National Consumer Database

I've been getting cold calls on my cell phone from bunches of companies, all of whom think that I'm somebody I'm not - and always the same person. None of them check my name and ID though - they just start talking.

I finally asked one of them where they got my number from, and it turned out to be this infernal National Consumer Database.

Does anyone know how to get a number off of the NCD once it's on there - especially since I NEVER checked any box that said they could have my number - someone else put my number on under their name, or someone typed it wrong, or something.

Grandmaster

Google is your friend, but anyway here is some more info

http://tania.co.za/collective/blog.n...abase_nextmark

Hmm, I just got a call from "Go Banking" today - on my work number, which I don't give out to anyone (don't even know if my bank has it).

Also got it from the National Consumer Database, which also seems to have details about your credit rating as well.

Phone Edgars ... or any other Edcon-monopoly-powered-marketing-swine-pit ... and ask them.

When I started this thread (http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php?t=124342) the "south-african national marketing "thing"" I was referring to was the NCD. Now I remember the name.

If you find a contact number ... please don't forget to post it.

Blog Entries

Have a look at http://www.dmasa.org

I actually had the same calls several times.

Also confirmed my number was stolen and sod by the national consumer database. I actually confirmed with them that they bought my number with the rest of the list to cold canvas us.

I understand I pay for my number and my contract, who gives these capitalists our numbers and sell them. Where is my profit share? Do I need to advertise my ID book and start selling that?

Who the hell are these guys, and who actually still believes the illusion that cold calling works?

Another thing...

I just checked the site http://www.dmasa.org/core/index.php, let me get this straight, I need to send my details to them to be removed of the "Don’t Contact Me" list.

How about we sue them to prove how they got our details? Why do I need them to be removed.

You won't believe it guys, I just received 1 million rand for subscribing to a mailing list or I just bought the best water cooler in the world from a cold call.

WTF is the chance...

Yes I do agree but at least you can unsubscribe, just remember that this is Africa every thing works the other way around here.

Super Grandmaster The_Unbeliever's Avatar
    Blog Entries

nah, just put the telemarketer or cold caller on hold...

...and forget about it.
    Is the 10 Commandments for Christians?

Saturday is the Seventh day, Sunday is the first day.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    nah, just put the telemarketer or cold caller on hold...

...and forget about it.
    Lol. Thats a great idea, lets add our own telemarketing on our onhold "tunes" and rick roll them.

Super Grandmaster

This "National Consumer Database" is just a bullshirt that telemarketers are trained to refer to. Companies with big lists of consumers trade lists, buy and sell them and whatever. Many telemarketing companies buy their data from a company called ETL, who do nicely targeted extracts off their database for between R1 and R2 per ID number, depending on volume, haggling, etc. The credit bureaux will take your list of ID numbers and "refresh" the contact data for about 50c a record, to ensure you have up-to-date data. So much for privacy. They, of course, are getting updated records monthly from their big retailer subscribers, so it all works jolly well. So, if your telemarketers get one sale every 30 calls, the data cost is about R60.

ETL do allow you to remove your details offa their lists at:

http://www.etl.co.za/

One cannot make assertions about reality based on philosophy alone. ~ Coyne

Quote Originally Posted by rwenzori View Post
    This "National Consumer Database" is just a bullshirt that telemarketers are trained to refer to. Companies with big lists of consumers trade lists, buy and sell them and whatever. Many telemarketing companies buy their data from a company called ETL, who do nicely targeted extracts off their database for between R1 and R2 per ID number, depending on volume, haggling, etc. The credit bureaux will take your list of ID numbers and "refresh" the contact data for about 50c a record, to ensure you have up-to-date data. So much for privacy. They, of course, are getting updated records monthly from their big retailer subscribers, so it all works jolly well. So, if your telemarketers get one sale every 30 calls, the data cost is about R60.

ETL do allow you to remove your details offa their lists at:

http://www.etl.co.za/

Thanks for the info, but this DB has to be wiped. Seriously, when are we getting our ID tags implanted?

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by vxv View Post
    Seriously, when are we getting our ID tags implanted?
    It was done at birth. Catch a wake up

Quote Originally Posted by vxv View Post
    Who the hell are these guys, and who actually still believes the illusion that cold calling works?
    It does work. Two out of every three South Africans are born suckers LOL!
    One cannot make assertions about reality based on philosophy alone. ~ Coyne

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast