Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Neotel FAQ - Networks / Rollout

Default Neotel FAQ - Networks / Rollout

Who is Neotel?

Neotel is South Africa’s first converged communications network operator, offering services that bring together voice, data and Internet, delivered via optical fibre (currently to large enterprises) or wireless access, based on its own, independent national network.

More information is available on Neotel’s web site: http://www.neotel.co.za

Neotel is licensed as the second national operator in South Africa, and launched the brand and its wholesale services (for mobile operators and ISPs) on 31 August 2006. It has subsequently launched a range of Enterprise services (including NeoVoice, NeoInternet, NeoVPN, NeoLink, NeoMetro Link and NeoHost) and Consumer services (NeoConnect and NeoFlex). More information on each of the service portfolios in available on Neotel’s web site above.

Where are the NeoConnect / NeoFlex basestations?

NeoConnect / NeoFlex basestations are not dissimilar to most wireless (cellular) basestations. Neotel currently makes use of various sites, including new ones, and existing cellular sites.

How are the NeoConnect / NeoFlex basestations connected together?

Neotel provides all of its own links to basestations from its core network. Typically, these are provided using optical fibre to maximise performance, but may be microwave in some cases.

Is it Neotel that’s digging up roads in Pretoria / Jo’burg / Cape Town / Durban?

Yes and No. If you see ducting (for optical fibre) being buried, and you also see an orange sign “Neotel at work”, then yes. However, there are a number of other parties that dig up roads regularly, and Neotel sometimes gets blamed for these. (Note that Neotel is not the only company that uses orange ducts.) If you are not sure, ask the guys doing the digging.

Neotel makes every effort to ensure that any work is completed rapidly, and trenches filled in and pavements re-instated as soon as possible (within a few days). However, some councils use their own contractors to re-instate, and this may be out of Neotel’s control. Having completed much of its core network build, Neotel is currently trenching mostly on pavements (Fibre to the Kerb), and typically drills under roads or crosses only where essential. Long trenches along roads are not Neotel’s.

If you have any queries about trenching in your area, call the Neotel general call centre number, 0800 000 NEO (0800 000 636).

Where it’s digging, is Neotel deploying copper (e.g. for ADSL) or optical fibre?

Neotel has decided not to deploy copper, since this is both high risk, and an ageing technology. Optical fibre is deployed as access for businesses currently, as Fibre to the Kerb/Curb (FTTC). Nothing beats the speed or reliability of fibre, especially for delivering true broadband services, including Fibre to the Home (FTTH) in future.

Is Neotel deploying its network in any cities other than Pretoria, Jo’burg, Cape Town and Durban?

Neotel has a 10000 km optical fibre long distance network that passes through all of the major cities in South Africa. You may therefore see Neotel at work in other cities. However, it has not yet made any announcements about the availability of NeoConnect / NeoFlex in any other cities.

Neotel is laying cables in my area. Does this mean I can get NeoConnect / NeoFlex? Why are Neotel digging up roads if the service is wireless?

Neotel is not currently offering any wireline services targeted at consumers, so the presence of optical fibre cables alone doesn’t mean you can get a service. However, Neotel typically backhauls its wireless (CDMA) basestations with optical fibre, in order to provide the best speed and performance. Hence, the presence of Neotel cables may mean that there is a basestation nearby.

Neotel has announced that it is rolling out WiMAX? How does this compare?

Neotel’s initial WiMAX offerings are targeted at Enterprise users with broadband requirements. Details are available on the Enterprise pages of the Neotel web site.

Can I buy a Neotel Enterprise service, like NeoVoice, NeoInternet or NeoVPN?

Yes, in principle, if you are prepared to pay for it, and it’s available (feasible). Neotel does not prevent a consumer from buying a business service, although these are typically large services not suited to individual users.
    Last edited by Neotel; 25-01-2009 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Update

Serial breaker of phones Chevron's Avatar

If you won't be offering any wireline services to consumers why not offer wimax to those of us that want adsl latencies, but don't want Telscum?
    May your life be full of stories

Can I ask that people WITH Neotel post their location here?
    For example,
    Randburg : Gauteng

I *know* I can just phone Neotel and ask, but if someone here posts their location, and it is near to me, I can ask them re: experiences and not just get a call-centre-answer from Neotel. (and others can do the same).
    Think twice, speak once.
    ANC - outfailing itself year after year
    ESKOM - Eish, Sorry Krag Opge*** - Maintenance

Sunward Park - Boksburg : 3 bar EV-DO with external arial.

Dunkeld West-North of Bompas Road, if lucky 1 bar usually no bar of EV-DO......(I don't have Neotel, but this is how the device performed when they demo it at my house in June)
    Last edited by cyberarmy; 14-07-2008 at 04:55 PM.
    Q9550,OCZ 4G DDR2,HIS 4850,XONAR D2X in HAF932+AOC 53X+SideWinder/Reclusa
    4096kbps DSL@Altech uncapped
    Lenovo S10 2g RAM+HTC Desire+Atrio M8

Quote Originally Posted by Robocop View Post
    Sunward Park - Boksburg : 3 bar EV-DO with external arial.
    What kind of aerial are you using, was it self made or bought?

Quote Originally Posted by Moederloos View Post
    Can I ask that people WITH Neotel post their location here?
    For example,
    Randburg : Gauteng

I *know* I can just phone Neotel and ask, but if someone here posts their location, and it is near to me, I can ask them re: experiences and not just get a call-centre-answer from Neotel. (and others can do the same).
    RANDBURG : GAUTENG

SmoothOokerMaximus The_Unbeliever's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Where is a map of the coverage areas to be found?

Thanks!
    Is the 10 Commandments for Christians?

Saturday is the Seventh day, Sunday is the first day.

Quote Originally Posted by chubster View Post
    What kind of aerial are you using, was it self made or bought?
    I'm using this self made arial http://www.perite.com/vk7jj/NextGYagi.htm

so mr neotel representative, are you saying that consumers CAN get wimax and other enterprise offerings as long as they are willing to pay for it?

Today I telephoned Neotel to find out when there service will be available
    in Port Elizabeth. I was immediately put through to a human - I think her name was Clarissa. What a pleasure speaking to her. Reminds me so much of the "old days". If this is an example of what Neotel will offer, then I can't wait for their service to be rolled out, no matter how long it takes.
    Basil Allschwang
    basil@webafrica.org.za

So the second fixed line operator won't offer fixed line services to consumers??? It's just another wireless operator??
    Nothing on earth is new, just re-invented.

Can Neotel perhaps update this thread when new coverage areas are added to the Coverage map?

Thanks

Blog Entries

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by aborg View Post
    So the second fixed line operator won't offer fixed line services to consumers??? It's just another wireless operator??
    lmao...so true

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast