Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Telephone wiring

Default Telephone wiring

Hi im wondering if anyone can help me, im looking to have an extra telephone line brought down from the roof into a room. How would i go about splitting the telephone line in the roof so i can run this extra line into the room. If i am correct the telephone cable in the roof is not the RJ11 but the round cable with beige insulation and different coloured cables inside.

Grandmaster

Normaly its a 5 pair cable and its black from the telkom box to your premisis. Find where they did the connection because they normaly terminate somewhere and pull white cable to the wall jack. Connect into the block there and run your cable to your new jack. Pin 2 will be the solid color and pin 3 the white or stripped colour wire.
    There are 10 types of ppl in the world those who understand binary and those who dnt ......

Grandmaster

POTS only needs one copper pair... the colour of the two wires inside the customer premesis are usually green and red, but from the poles outside it's generally just standard black insulated wire, at least for me it is. All you need to do to get a telephone into the room is send and connect a pair of wire from any existing, working source... the demarc would be the best option, especially if its located close to the room.

Grandmaster

There are different colours in different cables depending on the size of the cable.

The cable will have a blue and a white wire which should have the line on it.

These are not leg sensitive and you should easily be able to pick up the line from there.

Default Telephone wiring for ADSL

I had a Telkom agent come and install a telephone line at my place today. Now the line and box was already there so he basically just activated it. The line that comes into my place is a double line (sibgle silver wire in both cream colored insulated lines - much like a common speaker cable...). Now from this main point there runs a more modern line (the one with 4 colours) to another point where an adsl-box is installed. After the guy left, I plugged the phone into the other point, but it was dead. So I opened the box at the main point where the line comes from and saw that this extension line is not connected to anything... If, however I connect the blue and white wires to the main telphone jacks, I do get a dial-tone at the "Adsl-point".

What I want to know, is this. Would this connection that Im gonna make be sufficient for me to be able to use adsl-service at the box? (Obviously given that I get the line and service etc.)

Grandmaster

Yes, if there's a dial tone then you've probably wired it up correctly. Best to use twisted core cable such as CAT5 for jobs like those, as it has a lot of interference immunity. Then it's advisable to use a good POTS & ADSL spectrum separator/filter, and you should be good to go for ADSL too

Hi,

Need some advice please. The dog bit through the telephone cable running to my modem. The only wire that got "cut" is the brown one of the 4 coloured ones inside the beige insulation. My ADSL still function though. What are possible implications of the brown wire being cut?

Thanks,

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PhreakBoy View Post
    Hi,

Need some advice please. The dog bit through the telephone cable running to my modem. The only wire that got "cut" is the brown one of the 4 coloured ones inside the beige insulation. My ADSL still function though. What are possible implications of the brown wire being cut?

Thanks,
    Haven't you got any spare Telephone wires laying around? Just replace it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swa View Post
    It's ignorant to think that reason and science necessarily leads to progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyvdh View Post
    Haven't you got any spare Telephone wires laying around? Just replace it?
    It's a 20 meter cable running from dining room to study through the roof. Hassle and costs make the job meh! - so if I need not replace it, I'm not gonna hassle.

(From my limited research though it seems as if the outside wires are used for Line 2 type setups, so I might not need to replace it - confirmation from someone here would be nice though)

Found the answer: http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question176.htm
    Last edited by PhreakBoy; 28-10-2011 at 10:31 AM.

Blog Entries

It's a 20 meter cable running from dining room to study through the roof. Hassle and costs make the job meh! - so if I need not replace it, I'm not gonna hassle.

(From my limited research though it seems as if the outside wires are used for Line 2 type setups, so I might not need to replace it - confirmation from someone here would be nice though)

Found the answer: http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question176.htm
    Ja, sorry... I didn't know it was that long, I thought it was just a normal little cable, it would always be preferable to replace it to avoid short outs, etc.

But if you don't wanna hassle with it. I think you are safe. It is normally only the inner two wires that are used here in South Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swa View Post
    It's ignorant to think that reason and science necessarily leads to progress.

Super Grandmaster

Hi,

Thanks,
    If it is working ok just leave it . the dog bit through a spare pair
    ADSL some times workes with just one wire some times
    as long as all is normal just leave it
    Last edited by FNfal; 28-10-2011 at 12:07 PM.

last mile telkom cable can be any color (depending on what they had in stock)

2 & 5 pair is usally black
    10-50 pair is usually white/beige.

reading your story, and then subsequently these on the same day >>
    http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthre...38#post7124938
    http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthre...86#post7125486
    If it aint broke - dont fix it.

Hi

Im looking to rewiring my house's telephone cables from the part where it comes into the house to my two jacks.
    ive done some reading and not sure which is the best wiring do get to do the job.

here is a photo of my jack.

Thanks

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Reign View Post
    Hi

Im looking to rewiring my house's telephone cables from the part where it comes into the house to my two jacks.
    ive done some reading and not sure which is the best wiring do get to do the job.

here is a photo of my jack.

Thanks
    Yup that's one of Telkom's standard jacks. Nice and easy: it's just have a pair of wires coming in, past the surge protector, and going out. You just need to keep the continuity between the two points you're wiring up, of those two pairs. You can't go wrong with Cat5 or Cat6 cable (computer networking cable) especially if it's shielded. Just be sure to use a TWISTED pair from the cat5/6, such as the Blue+Blue&White, or Green+Green&White, etc etc. If in doubt, get a professional , ie report a fault and get a Telkom technician to sort it out for you. Good luck

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast