Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just when you thought it safe...

Grandmaster

Default Just when you thought it safe...

Any surprises that an iBurst saga returns to your screens to amuse you?

The story in short: Late 2006*, my antenna is stolen. Because my reseller takes too long to get me an antenna and I figure it will just be stolen again, I cancel my month-to-month contract (I bought my modem directly from a reseller), switch to Telkom ADSL, and expect to pay for my months notice period (even though, unconnected, I obviously am using no bandwidth from iBurst). My account gets debited for R5000 odd. I call iBurst and, while I can't remember the details of their story of why that particular figure, I get a refund of about R2 500. That is, someone at iBurst with the power to reverse payments, agreed to a refund and gave me the refund.

During early to mid 2007, I continue getting bills for around that amount. I email, I call, I get the telephone runaround. Whomever I speak to is either incompetent, stupid, ignorant, or refuses to make the effort to check the history of my account. I have the paperwork, and so should they. They should see that someone in the company gave me a refund, etc. So, from mid-2007 I don't hear again from iBurst; meanwhile, all is bliss on the ADSL front. Telkom installed within 5 days of ordering. On the one occasion I had a problem, a technician was at my house within 2-3 hours of me lodging a complaint. In other words, despite all I've heard about telkom service, call-centre peeps have always been helpful, friendly and knowledgeable (no, I don't own Telkom shares).

Today I get a call from Select Online, a debt collecting agency. The onus is now on me to run around and fax account papers to prove my story, while the f--king iBurst MD or CEO or whatever basks in the glory of his 'Don't Panic' f--king project. IBurst should be doing the accounting because they in the first place refused to listen to my complaint. I will be writing to ICASA.

Phew!
    *[original date , 2007, was wrong]
    Last edited by Rustum; 13-08-2008 at 09:42 AM.

Blog Entries

Ouch. Sorry hey. Get Mr. Knott-Craig on the phone I think.
    Jägermeiʃter can fix that!

Firstly, don't admit you ever owed them money - don't fax them anything.

Tell them to prove to you first that you owe iBurst money, tell them to send everything by post, as you don't have email.

Thats what I do

Grandmaster

Good advice Rapid, but it's now with a debt collector (I've just asked them to do so). I.e. it's now treated as a fait accompli that I owe them money. That is what pisses me off: the assumption that I am now a defaulter and if I don't respond to the debt collector, I end up on a credit blacklist. I have to go to all the trouble to avoid that, while it's their f--ked up accounting that caused the mess.

Thanks for the sympathy Tim. I've searched these forums for contact numbers but can't seem to find the sticky...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rustum View Post
    Good advice Rapid, but it's now with a debt collector (I've just asked them to do so). I.e. it's now treated as a fait accompli that I owe them money. That is what pisses me off: the assumption that I am now a defaulter and if I don't respond to the debt collector, I end up on a credit blacklist. I have to go to all the trouble to avoid that, while it's their f--ked up accounting that caused the mess.

Thanks for the sympathy Tim. I've searched these forums for contact numbers but can't seem to find the sticky...
    There is someone who is supposed to patrol this forum; however, I know not who that is.

The debit collector still has to prove to you that you owe them money. I make it a VERY difficult and a slow process for them, so it costs them money and time... then I just send them my prove long after.

Grandmaster

I hear you Rapid; I'm on that course.

I hear you Rapid; I'm on that course.
    Its worth it - they can't register you on ITC or anything like that without proving you owe them money.

It costs you five minutes to tell them to send it by post..

This is what I would do:
    1.) Ask them to mail you proof.
    2.) On receipt, throw it away and say you never got it when they call, they should send it again.
    3.) Do this a few times, then ask them to send it registered.
    4.) Finally tell them you got it (registered), and you will respond with proof of cancellation/payment via email/fax If they want it posted to them as well, ask them to arrange collection, or mail you a prepaid envelope
    Last edited by xrapidx; 12-08-2008 at 11:44 AM.

Grandmaster

Brilliant.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by xrapidx View Post
    Its worth it - they can't register you on ITC or anything like that without proving you owe them money.

It costs you five minutes to tell them to send it by post..

This is what I would do:
    1.) Ask them to mail you proof.
    2.) On receipt, throw it away and say you never got it when they call, they should send it again.
    3.) Do this a few times, then ask them to send it registered.
    4.) Finally tell them you got it (registered), and you will respond with proof of cancellation/payment via email/fax If they want it posted to them as well, ask them to arrange collection, or mail you a prepaid envelope
    Just make sure that in this time you don't plan on buying a house, car, or even open an Edgars account.

Stupid fsckers blacklisted me for something that my parents paid twice (and finally a third time)! I was 17 years old and had Xrays done in hospital - they blacklisted me when I tried to get a home loan 6 years later . One the plus side, this business did declare bankruptcy - not fscking suprised.

SmoothOokerMaximus The_Unbeliever's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by xrapidx View Post
    The debit collector still has to prove to you that you owe them money. I make it a VERY difficult and a slow process for them, so it costs them money and time... then I just send them my prove long after.

Beautiful!

This should make them more wary of doing iBurps dirty work...
    Is the 10 Commandments for Christians?

Saturday is the Seventh day, Sunday is the first day.

Quote Originally Posted by timgaul View Post
    Just make sure that in this time you don't plan on buying a house, car, or even open an Edgars account.

Stupid fsckers blacklisted me for something that my parents paid twice (and finally a third time)! I was 17 years old and had Xrays done in hospital - they blacklisted me when I tried to get a home loan 6 years later . One the plus side, this business did declare bankruptcy - not fscking suprised.
    Nah - can't do that so easy anymore with the new credit act, etc...

Nah - can't do that so easy anymore with the new credit act, etc...
    oh? really? in this country if they fork out money on a bribe ANYTHING is possible!

Quote Originally Posted by fishfly View Post
    oh? really? in this country if they fork out money on a bribe ANYTHING is possible!
    LOL... what are the chances of a company bribeing ITC, etc. to blacklist someone?

LOL... what are the chances of a company bribeing ITC, etc. to blacklist someone?
    like what are the chances that zuma become president?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast