Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SENTECH MMORPG'S AND ME

Grandmaster

Default SENTECH MMORPG'S AND ME

Me and a bunch load of friends were gonna get wireless for the purpose of playing eve-online but then sentech decided to not cover sonstraal in the cape town launch so now were sitting with the situation that we hate telkom with a passion but for playing with a couple of ppl together a mmorpg their the only affordable option.

THX sentech. I stood by you guys all the way and then u decide to cut off half of ct. brilliant strategy.

Proud South african rip offs.

i hear u man. i'm a sontraal brother myself. we are not savages here, we need bloody broadband as much as the others do. it was bad enough having to wait months for our province to catch up and now we have to hear it will happen even later now for our area.

ARG!!!!!

Grandmaster

bugger it im gonna wait till sentech roll out here then if they dont have a definitive yes to rolling out in sonstraal in a months time im gonna go with adsl

Grandmaster

Careful with ADS if your main purpose is to play MMORPGs. I had to dump ADSL because Dark Age of Camelot and Anarchy Online were unplayable over ADSL. Work brialliantly on MyWirless or ISDN. Something to do with Telkom's port prioritisation thingy. Basically because MMORPGs tend to use ports other than 80, 21 etc you get real bad lag and packet loss.

Grandmaster

But what other options do i have im not gonna fork over 2000 rand a month for a isdn line cause ill have to get to 128k packages.
    Does anyone know of any local wisps running round in the bellville area? if im not wrong uninet has got my area covered but i canna find their website.
    if u have their url please share

Grandmaster

But what other options do i have im not gonna fork over 2000 rand a month for a isdn line cause ill have to get to 128k packages.
    Does anyone know of any local wisps running round in the bellville area? if im not wrong uninet has got my area covered but i canna find their website.
    if u have their url please share

Grandmaster

Hmmm. Why do you need 128k ISDN? Generally for playing MMORPGs, it's latency thats the thing, not bandwidth. They are optimised to use as little bandwidth as possible. When they have 1000 to 2000 people connecting to a server they wan't to keep their own bandwidth use as low as possible. Of course if you are using multiple accounts at the same time (bots or more than one person playing)bandwidth does become an issue. If ound for DAoC I could get two sessions going on 64 and have acceptable performance. I haven't played Eve though but I'm pretty sure that 64k would be quite acceptable.

Grandmaster

Well the thing is we want to start our own little group in eve and we do lan a lot together so if were going to play an online game we want to actually have the infrastructure to afford everyone in the group a decent connection speed.
    Also on a side note uninetwork's wisp thing turns out is kinda a load of bollocks and sheep's ears a friend just got it an he's on a 128kb connect and downloading @ bout 1-2 kbps a sec.
    FPS games online require a low latency otherwise its just stupid but for mmorpg's it not that much of an issue considering the game play is never that fast so a little bit of lag isnt that bad

Sorry about the ..... late reply but look at www.comtel.co.za, I have been using them for about 6 months and all I can say is WOW, I use it to play Battle of Immortals, and I cannot complain at all.

+ Reply to Thread