Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Neotel NeoFlex Data FAQ - Technical

Default Neotel NeoFlex Data FAQ - Technical

What technology does NeoFlex Data use?

NeoFlex Data uses the CDMA2000 3G wireless standard. It is currently the most widely used of the 3G standards, with over 475 million users worldwide. It is not the same 3G standard that Vodacom and MTN use (UMTS).

Neotel has deployed the latest generation of CDMA2000, called 1xEV-DO Rev A, which is used by a number of leading operators around the world (e.g. Verizon Wireless in the US). The network hence supports a peak download speed of 3.1 Mbps, and peak upload speed of 1.8 Mbps. (Averages are always lower, as is pointed out elsewhere, but one has to quote the peak in the South African market, since everyone else does.)

NeoFlex Data is based on EV-DO Rev A, and offers peak download speed of 3.1 Mbps, and peak upload speed of 1.8 Mbps, which provides excellent performance for small business and home uses, including web browsing, e-mail, peer-to-peer services, and some gaming. Note that average download speed is around 450Ė 900 kbps, and the average upload speed is around 300 Ė 700 kbps which makes it similar to HSUPA in performance.

For more information on CDMA2000, look at: http://www.cdg.org

Can I share my Internet connection on NeoFlex Data?

The NeoFlex Data device is specifically intended to be shared in a small office or home environment, and provides Ethernet ports as well as WiFi for this purpose.

How does the NeoFlex Data device connect to my computer or Local Area Network?

The device has four Ethernet ports, integrated WiFi, and a USB port. Using Ethernet or WiFi, the device provides a gateway from your LAN or Wireless LAN to the Internet. Using USB, you can use the device with a single computer, just like a modem.

What are the two pairs of antennas on the NeoFlex Data device?

The larger two antennas are to connect to Neotelís CDMA network, and the smaller two are for the local WiFi network. Two antennas are used in each case to provide antenna diversity, which provides enhanced performance on the CDMA network and the local WiFi network, particularly in urban / building environments.

Do I need to configure a computer to connect via NeoFlex Data using PPPoE?

No. The NeoFlex Data device connects to the network automatically, and remains connected as long as it is within coverage, and will re-connect if the connection drops. When using Ethernet (Local Area Network) or WiFi (Wireless Local Area Network), any computer simply needs to connect to the local network. The device supports NAT, and has a DHCP server, so that local IP addresses can be issued automatically, requiring no further configuration. One Ethernet cable is shipped with the device.

For full configuration details and further information, download the manual here: http://www.neotel.co.za/neotel/actio...ia_fileid=1920

Can I connect using USB?

If you donít have an Ethernet or Wireless LAN, you can connect via USB, similar to other modems. A USB cable is shipped with the device, and MS Windows drivers are available here: http://www.neotel.co.za/neotel/actio...ia_fileid=1922

What is the maximum number of users that may be connected to the device?

For an acceptable user experience, Neotel recommends a maximum of 10 users on the device, either 4 via Ethernet LAN and 6 via Wireless LAN, or 10 via Wireless LAN.

What network security is provided by the device?

The device supports WEP and WPA security and MAC address filtering on WiFi. To avoid unauthorised usage, it is recommended that you enable security settings, and when the device is not in use, we recommend simply turning the device off. To view security setting options and Neotelís Wi-Fi disclaimer download the NeoFlex Data Wi-Fi Guide here: http://www.neotel.co.za/neotel/actio...ia_fileid=1921

The device also has some firewall functionality, allowing you to secure you LAN or Wireless LAN from the Internet.

Can I use NeoFlex Data for peer-to-peer applications?

Since the service is unshaped, peer-to-peer applications will generally work on NeoFlex.

Can I use Skype with the current NeoFlex packages?

In theory, yes, since the service is not shaped. However, just like other wireless services in the market, there is no QoS, so the performance of packet-based voice on the wireless link cannot be guaranteed in a loaded network.

Neotelís voice services are carrier grade, crystal clear and cost effective, so hopefully you wonít want to use a free best-effort alternative too much. NeoFlex Voice (currently sold separately) is a device that provides a single analogue telephone line, whilst the NeoConnect devices are integrated devices with telephone and SMS functionality as well as Internet connectivity.

Can one get NeoFlex Data with a static IP address?

No. A new IP address is assigned to the device each time you connect, just as with other similar wireless services. Since the device uses Network Address Translation (NAT), local IP addresses (on the LAN or Wireless LAN) are not visible to the Internet, although these could be static or dynamic IPs.

Do Neotel force a disconnection every 24 hours to renew the IP address?

No. However, in any wireless network, a session may drop for various reasons. If a session is re-established, a new IP address will be issued.

What latency (ping time) can I expect on NeoFlex Data?

Rev A (NeoFlex Data) has much lower ping times than Rel 0 (NeoConnect Prime), because the uplink and downlink are both fast, and this is one of the distinguishing characteristics of NeoFlex Data.

The ping time to South African destinations is typically around 60 ms. Most of the latency is obviously in the air interface, and this is not unusual for wireless systems.

Neotelís network is connected globally through the Tata Communications Tier 1 network, which has a point of presence in Joíburg. The connectivity is via the SAT-3/SAFE submarine optical fibre system (no satellite at all). As a result, the international ping times are typically 100 - 150 ms, the sum of the wireless access latency and international cable system latency.

Is NeoFlex Data any good for playing online games?

It is possible to play more online games on NeoFlex Data than with NeoConnect Prime, since the latency of EV-DO Rev A is quite a bit lower than EV-DO Rel 0. However, the latency on any wireless network may causes problems for some action or first person shooter games, and the service is not recommended for this type of gaming.

Obviously, international latency is a problem for anyone in South Africa connecting to a gaming server on another continent, as a result of the sheer physical distance, although Neotel seeks to minimise this latency with its high bandwidth international connectivity.

Is the NeoConnect service shaped?

Currently, all of the NeoFlex Data packages are unshaped.

Are all incoming ports open?

By default, all incoming ports on the NeoFlex Data service are closed, for security reasons. However, they can be opened on request for those who want them open. Note that port blocking is not the same as shaping, and there is no shaping on any of the current NeoFlex Data packages as indicated.

The IP address issued to the NeoFlex Data device by DHCP is a public IP address in Neotelís IP address range. Private IP addresses are used on the LAN or Wireless LAN (typically dynamic IP addresses issued by the DHCP server on the NeoFlex Data). You will need to configure port forwarding on the NeoFlex Data device to make use of incoming ports on computers connected to the LAN or Wireless LAN.

Does NeoFlex Data reconnect automatically if the connection drops?

Yes. You donít need to configure anything to enable this if you are using LAN or Wireless LAN. Details of USB configuration are provided in the device manual.

The latency on NeoFlex Data is somewhat variable compared to wireline Internet connections. Is this to be expected?

CDMA or any other wireless technology may be affected by the landscape or weather conditions, as well as the statistical sharing of channel capacity. Hence, some variation is to be expected. It is not recommended that NeoFlex Data be used for applications that cannot tolerate such variation (e.g. some online action games).

Can I get an external antenna to improve coverage?

Neotel does not offer external antennas for NeoFlex Data, and itís not recommended, since the device uses antenna diversity (the two antennas) to improve performance. Since Neotel is selling the service in areas with good coverage, and 800 MHz propagates well, there generally shouldnít be any need to use an external antenna.

Is there a battery? How long will the battery last?

The NeoFlex Data device does come with a battery backup. Typically the device should operate for between two and two and a half hours when disconnected from the mains, depending on the amount of users.

If you have any additional issues (or compliments), tell Neotel via [email protected]

Having only recently launched the service, Neotel is actively seeking feedback from users, and will use this to enhance the service.

Quick question, I notice in the manual (web interface section, pg 43) that there is a status page which has a "statistics" button, will this device (MVXXX) maintain session transfer statistics ? If so can they be used to monitor usage (not to go over cap) ?

PSC: Looking at the Stats page - I highly doubt it. Let's see what Neotel says though.

Quote Originally Posted by psc View Post
    Quick question, I notice in the manual (web interface section, pg 43) that there is a status page which has a "statistics" button, will this device (MVXXX) maintain session transfer statistics ? If so can they be used to monitor usage (not to go over cap) ?
    No way this will maintain session stats - in any case, it doesn't really give you any meaningful data other than rx/tx packet count - I currently have it outside my Linux firewall and use the interface stats on the Linux box to count usage.

One quirk from the MV400 that I am using: although it provides the means to add routes, it doesn't seem to NAT any traffic except that from the locally connected LAN. Seems to make the routing feature a little superfluous :-P

on my router (MV400) i cannot go into the "wireless tab" or the "router settings tap" could someone plz help me with this

i have tryed with all of the pcs does not work??
    also my sppe is always at 20KB/s wtf it supposed to be minimum 57KB/s

+ Reply to Thread