Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Cape Town WIFI mesh nets

Grandmaster

Default Cape Town WIFI mesh nets

Yo
    If you are interested or are already actively involved in a Wifi Mesh net or just you and a buddy linking, post it here and well see if we can bridge the telkom divide and get everyone meshed together.

Proud South african rip offs.
    Last edited by armitage; 07-02-2007 at 11:24 AM. Reason: No longer stay at posted spot

hey arm

i live in durbanville, vygeboom area. i am currently on uninet's 128kb package. was wondering what u had in mind, since currently i cannot game and p2p is very restricted on uninet.

what type of equipment would i need and what are the costs involved.

shot

"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness, experiencing itself subjectively. There's no such thing as death - life is only a dream - and we're the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

Well for those who are interested I'm going to be putting together a detailed guide on setting up a point to point wireless link for under R1000 (hopefully :P). I've had some experience with wireless links at range and I think I've found a way to do it really cheaply. Should be done by the end of the year :).

Grandmaster

Well the important thing is to get line of sight between us.
    The only wisp that i found actually that let me play games(though no FPS(ping reliant games)) was wireless online

Cloud, i've got ppl interested that live by the Tygervalley turn off, Near the sanlam building and in between.
    If you can get more ppl on that side of the hill interested we can start meshing our equipment so that the signal gets repeated over the access points.

So here's what i think we need.
    1: omni directional antenna for surrounding area connectivity
    2: yagi/directional antenna pinpoint transmitting of the signal so that two remote areas can be connected.
    3: Access point

All these things are available from Miro that i know of. There are some other companies that i just found out about in the other post, but its gonna take a while still before i have their pricelists.

I think the last time i worked everything out the total cost came to roundabout R1600.00 per node to set up, but the nice thing is this is a once off cost and the more ppl that you have in the surrounding area the easier it becomes to get the equipment just imagine you and ten friends contributed to your hotspot.thats 160 per person which isnt a serious thing for a gamer.....that's like two organised chaos lans.

Oh and one more thing that i forgot to mention.......you need roof access to your house building condo car or trike. hehe

Cheers hoping to hear from you soon

We really need to link our network also with Solar's one then we can get the whole bellville area covered and most of boston it seems.

Grandmaster

It seems Miro is selling a integrated system for R1500.00 where the whole story is built into an enclosure.
    Access point is only an 802.11b one which is quite a pity considering 802.116g is much faster.... oh well.

Grandmaster

Lo all,

Spamtheman, would really dig something like that. Was wondering what range you get on your setup?

I am in the newlands area...
    Chow, Nick

Nick Smit
    [email protected] dot za dot net

Hi
    I'm in Milnerton and my friend and i are just about to set up a p2p network as we live 100m away from eachother.
    We'd be interested in linking in if possible...
    Lemme know
    Chow4now

Grandmaster

Cor where abouts do you stay?

Ok, who is in Meyersdal, Alberton, Jhb that might be interested in somethign like this, could be a interesting little excercise.

G

You Have The Obligation to Inform One Honestly of the risk, And As a Person
    You Are Committed to Educate Yourself to the Total Risk In Any Activity!
    Once Informed & Totally Aware of the Risk,
    Every Fool Has the Right to Kill or Injure Themselves as They See Fit!

Hi
    I'm in the Melkbos area and would be interested as well.
    If there's anyone close by, please give me a shout.

Cheers

Well the antenna design I'm looking into produces about 18 Db is circular with a diameter of 30 odd centimeter. Given that we're doing a point to point link with one of these antennas on both ends gives a combined signal strength of 30+ Db, should be good for up to 11km. When I said a cost of R1000, that would be for both sides of the link, so R500 per person. If you had an access point with an omni others could connect to that for around R500. Although I may be trying this with 802.11g if I can find reasonably priced equipment that is also FreeBSD friendly for other reasons.

If someone can organise hosting I'll actually document (with photo's) the whole assembly and installation

Grandmaster

Sounds awesome! R500 is very reasonable!

Chow, Nick

Nick Smit
    [email protected] dot za dot net

Well that's not a definite price yet, I've still got to test whether my math works out and the thing works properly but I do know a few people in NZ who have set up connections with similar equipment. Now I've just gotta get all the equipment and start fooling around :).

Grandmaster

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by georgelza</i>
    <br />Ok, who is in Meyersdal, Alberton, Jhb that might be interested in somethign like this, could be a interesting little excercise.

G

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Georgelza start a thread for WIFI in joburg[;)]

Trying to see if we can get everyone organised into their regions

Armitage, I'm in Kalk Bay, doing a link to Fish Hoek. Like I said if it works I'll post detailed instructions.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast