Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 132 of 472 FirstFirst ... 3282122128129130131132133134135136142182232 ... LastLast
Results 1,966 to 1,980 of 7080

Thread: Guess that car

Grandmaster

This looks like a cross between a Samil and Idi Amin's Mercedes limousine.
    If the oncoming lights are blinding you, you are in the wrong lane. Turn around immediately for your own well being and safety.

That does not even deserve a google from me, will wait for the next one.
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ponder View Post
    That does not even deserve a google from me, will wait for the next one.
    OOOh... Fazda speechless. That "vehicle" is a 1974 Neorion Chicago.

Neorion is one of the most historic Greek engineering companies, located in Ermoupolis, on the Greek island of Syros. Today, it is one of the few remaining major industrial corporations in that picturesque and nostalgic island town that used to be the industrial and commercial heart of Greece, before eclipsed by Piraeus in the late 19th century.

Neorion roots go back to a traditional shipyard on that island, known for the construction of ships and boats for use during the Greek revolution of the 1820s, as well as design and building of “modern battleships” for the new Greek kingdom in the decades that followed. The company that survives to date was legally founded in 1861 to technically support the “Greek Steamship lines Company”, initially employing, in addition to Greek technical staff, several mechanics from W. Europe. In the 1860s, in addition to ship building it already produced steam engines, boilers, pumps, heavy cannons, as well as its first steamship. A heavy steam engine of its own design and construction received attention when exhibited in an International Exhibition in Paris in 1878, while since 1892 the company produced all-metal steamships. In 1898 the name ‘Neorion’ (an ancient Greek word indicating a port facility for ship repair and construction) was adopted. Already during the second half of the 19th century it was the second most important Greek engineering company after the famous Basileiades machine and steam engine manufacturer in Piraeus. Other products of Neorion included a variety of machinery (some of it exported), engine parts and other specialized metal constructions for the Greek industry.

In the following decades Neorion faced many challenges that almost lead it into going out of business, but managed to survive, remaining one of the most important Greek shipyards. In 1972, under the ownership of the Greek millionaire G.Goulandris it acquired Enfield Automotive Ltd., a British company involved in the design and construction of electric cars. A new company, ‘Enfield-Neorion E.P.E.’ was formed, headquartered in Piraeus, and basic production was transferred to Syros (the vehicles being finished in the United Kingdom). A young Greek designer, Georgios Michael (later credited with the design of several Greek vehicles) was employed with the new company. The ‘E 8000 Bicini’ (with that spelling) light jeep-type vehicle introduced in 1973 was a Greek design, but was not produced due to bureaucratic hurdles created by Greek tax services, connected with its electric power. In 1974 a “pure” Neorion development was undertaken, to materialize a vision of G. Goulandris himself, of a luxury limousine with strong 4x4 character. A team of Greek engineers including Georgios Michael worked in Syros for 8 months, leading to the creation of the ‘Chicago’, introduced in 1974. The car, built on Jeep Wagoneer chassis base was extremely controversial, being a huge limousine with retro-styling, featuring hard-core 4x4 characteristics and was put down even by its own designer. Indeed, Georgios Michael would later describe it as “mountain dinosaur”. Today, in view of the 4x4 passenger cars that have appeared ever since, as well as the breed of luxury SUV’s, the car does not look terribly strange anymore; one could actually dare say that it in a way it was ahead of its time. A production line had been started, when a change of Greek law condemned the market prospects of the car. Two were completed and sold to customers before the venture was terminated in 1976. One still survives to date, exhibited in the Thessaloniki Technological Museum.

Neorion shipyards itself continued its course. In 1997 it acquired another big shipyard, Elefsis Shipyards, while it diversified into new fields (like the construction of luxury mega-yachts, and even subcontracting work for aerospace companies) and is fully active today in the form of the powerful Neorion Group of Companies, having entered a new era in its long history.
    I will post a reasonable car shortly... I just could not resist that Neorion...

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Okay... forgive me for the last abomination...

Here is the next one...

Blog Entries

Who is rebuilding that Scooptop 280 SL?....What is it, a 1962 model??

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fazda View Post
    Who is rebuilding that Scooptop 280 SL?....What is it, a 1962 model??
    Hiya... glad you are still talking to me after that Greek abhorrent!!!

http://amprestorations.net/archives/mercedes.html

OTY

Pagoda-top Merc 280 SL 1969-70?

edit: damn... Fazda beat me to it, but I think his year is wrong

Quote Originally Posted by kilobitsperyear View Post
    Hiya... glad you are still talking to me after that Greek abhorrent!!!

http://amprestorations.net/archives/mercedes.html

OTY
    I want this one!!

Blog Entries

Than Q

Here we are

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

1931 / 1932 American Austin Roadster.....

Would have to agree although I have no idea about the date except it could be anything '30-'34.
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Yokay...

Time for a beaut...

Last edited by kilobits; 20-10-2009 at 12:49 PM.

You think a quick photoshop job is going to thwart us?

MERCEDES BENZ Typ 500 K "Autobahnkurier" (W29) 1934

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BarFly View Post
    You think a quick photoshop job is going to thwart us?

MERCEDES BENZ Typ 500 K "Autobahnkurier" (W29) 1934
    Damn!!!! I posted pic then remembered to "sanitise" it. Grrrrrr. Poo on your google-fu!

It is a purrrdy vroomvroom no?

OTY

Last edited by kilobits; 20-10-2009 at 01:20 PM.

Compared to some of the other cars we've had recently, yes, she's fairly pretty.

Next up...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 132 of 472 FirstFirst ... 3282122128129130131132133134135136142182232 ... LastLast