You should join our great online community now - you can win great prizes
Register now
You should subscribe to our free MyBroadband newsletter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pest Magic

Default Pest Magic

Howzit Forumites,

okay, at least twice I heard John Robbie from 702 rave about how well his pest (rat) repeller unit works that he just plugged into his wall socket.. So today at the Builder's Warehouse I bought the "Pest Magic" Package, on special (maybe), but at least you got 2 for the price of one..

Anyways, I bought it with the assurance that I could return in within 3 month if it did not chase my rats out of my thatchroof (while staying on a plot)..

Being an electronic engineer, and seeing the unit(s) were not sealed or protected with funny screws I opened one up immediately. The whole thing is driven by one chip: the good old NE556 - which we all grew up with - a chip at least 30 years old.. The double version of the NE555 which was twice as small.

Cost of this chip is probably less than one Rand now..

Now verify this with the marketing pitch of the product; (check on http://pestmagic.co.za/)

- It did NOT come with an SA plug, it came with a European plug..
    - It does not contain an ENHANCED MICROPROCESSOR - just a "flipflop" as we used to call it 25 years ago..
    - It cannot use COMPUTER TECHNOLOGY as they claim as the whole thing consist of just two "flipflops" that go on-and-off at any static frequency you pitch your capacitor at.. Totally analogue, no computer code, or programming what so-ever.
    - They claim an ADVANCED DIGITAL CYCLING METHOD. Hmmz they must have recently bought a German car with that type of remote locking and included that in their marketing pitch, because there is NO cycling and NO digital and definitely no ADVANCED stuff going on in that box.
    – Maybe the hotter the board gets a difference in flip-flopping both LEDs blink?

I’d like to know on what mechanism this system is supposed to be working.

John Robbie says it works, and I will find out in the coming 8 weeks (yes winter brings rats into our roof).. – Does it work on the principle of Electro Mechanism? Or does it produce a noise? (Because it says ultrasonic (which is sound)) and the PC board holds a coil that could possibly function as a “speaker” ?

Lastly, the area I have no knowledge about; Is it possible at all to make any influence through Electro Mechanism or Ultra Sound to influence a (rat’s) nervous system?

Anyways, little money lost if I get my rats back in my roof, but since John Robbie was very positive about this (similar?) product, I wanted to give it a try too..

If it works I’ll install 250 at work to get my managers out of the building

PS this puppy also chases Roaches, Flies, Spiders, Mice, Fleas, Ants and Mosquitoes as well – I might have gotten an upgrade on John’s version)

Blog Entries

LOL!!! its really stupid... it doesn't work... we had it in our house and nothing changed... exactly the same maybe even more... the cockroaches were like "attracted" to the thing rather than repelled...
    www.houseofmyglory.com
    I only use Ozone Friendly Language

Master

That circuit should be dead easy to figure out. It's probably one slow oscillator driving a fast oscillator which then drives some kind of output device. I've played with circuits like this to make a police car siren. If this one is driving a coil then the frequency is most likely pretty high. How they can claim that it affects all the critters you mention is beyond me. I won't buy one 'cause it would probably drive my cat nuts. Besides she keeps my home rodent free. Get a cat!

Quote Originally Posted by Peder View Post
    LOL!!! its really stupid... it doesn't work... we had it in our house and nothing changed... exactly the same maybe even !more... the cockroaches were like "attracted" to the thing rather than repelled...
    +1 I had that experience I Strand I could swear it made my rouch problem worse and forget about the damn ants they lived and multiplied thougt is all. Only 1 sure fure way of getting rid of a rouch Boiled Potato and Borisic powder balls all ova da place (hidden ofcoz) 2 weeks and the SOB are dead everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by zophas View Post
    That circuit should be dead easy to figure out. It's probably one slow oscillator driving a fast oscillator which then drives some kind of output device. I've played with circuits like this to make a police car siren. If this one is driving a coil then the frequency is most likely pretty high. How they can claim that it affects all the critters you mention is beyond me. I won't buy one 'cause it would probably drive my cat nuts. Besides she keeps my home rodent free. Get a cat!
    I must confess cats work wonders, but then we stay on a plot with four dogs, and when we were "cat-sitting" for friends that went overseas temporarily we discovered the two species are just incompatible. We had a year of very many fights between them (3 cats against 4 dogs), luckily no stitches..

But no rats in the meantime :-)

I still wonder how come John Robbie is raving about these devises - anyways, I'll give them (2) a month and see what happenes, but as far as I can figure the thing just consist of two blinking LEDs and maybe the coil produces a high frequency that it puts back onto the net, but still, do nervous systems respond to that? Are my wires in the wall supposed to vibrate now? Or is it elecro-magnetic?

I will keep you posted on my experiences in the coming 4 weeks, but I am keeping the box and packing material with invoice ready :-)

if i water proof it and stick it in my garden, will it get rid of flippin moles ?
    BullShyte Baffles Brains...

They claim Rats, Roaches, Flies, Spiders, Mice, Fleas, Ants and Mosquitoes..

So no Giraffe, Moles, Buffalo, Moles, Kudu, Moles, Olifants, Moles, Dogs, Cats or Spouses.. I think :-)

(just joking)

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by IRG View Post
    if i water proof it and stick it in my garden, will it get rid of flippin moles ?
    There is something similar sold for your problem. I bought one off Ebay and has been using it for almost 2 weeks. Basically a plastic spike that you stick in the ground, on the top it has a solar powered circuit that produces a 400hz vibration into the soil every couple of seconds for a short period - apparently moles don't like this frequency. So far it works.

I have also had reasonably good results with lighting 3 fumetab tablets (used in the house to fumigate against fleas etc) one after the other and dumping it into the mole's hole and then covering up all the holes.

Quote Originally Posted by AmaDownload View Post
    They claim Rats, Roaches, Flies, Spiders, Mice, Fleas, Ants and Mosquitoes..

So no Giraffe, Moles, Buffalo, Moles, Kudu, Moles, Olifants, Moles, Dogs, Cats or Spouses.. I think :-)

(just joking)
    Olifants?

isn't an olifant that thing in the lord of the rings? cause i'm sure blinking LED's would chase those things away

Quote Originally Posted by Goobie View Post
    There is something similar sold for your problem. I bought one off Ebay and has been using it for almost 2 weeks. Basically a plastic spike that you stick in the ground, on the top it has a solar powered circuit that produces a 400hz vibration into the soil every couple of seconds for a short period - apparently moles don't like this frequency. So far it works.

I have also had reasonably good results with lighting 3 fumetab tablets (used in the house to fumigate against fleas etc) one after the other and dumping it into the mole's hole and then covering up all the holes.
    Thats cool ... where did u get it ? only problem would be... how do I prevent my 6 month old Golden Retriever from chewing it to bits ?????

It keeps Lions away as well, John Robbie hasn't had a Lion at his house for years!
    www.lionsworld.co.za/forum for Lions rugby chat
    @waltwjl for LionsWorld on twitter
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/LionsWorld/166157158352 for LionsWorld on FB

And I think it works for Hurricanes and Earthquakes as well!

Doesn't work - I bought four in a desperate attempt to get rid of ants on 100 odd m2 house - The ants actually made a nest in the one plug this thing was plugged into.

Quote Originally Posted by walterl View Post
    And I think it works for Hurricanes and Earthquakes as well!
    I suppose in your case, applies to good looking woman ?

Quote Originally Posted by IRG View Post
    I suppose in your case, applies to good looking woman ?
    LOL! Good one!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast