okay, at least twice I heard John Robbie from 702 rave about how well his pest (rat) repeller unit works that he just plugged into his wall socket.. So today at the Builder's Warehouse I bought the "Pest Magic" Package, on special (maybe), but at least you got 2 for the price of one..
Anyways, I bought it with the assurance that I could return in within 3 month if it did not chase my rats out of my thatchroof (while staying on a plot)..
Being an electronic engineer, and seeing the unit(s) were not sealed or protected with funny screws I opened one up immediately. The whole thing is driven by one chip: the good old NE556 - which we all grew up with - a chip at least 30 years old.. The double version of the NE555 which was twice as small.
Cost of this chip is probably less than one Rand now..
Now verify this with the marketing pitch of the product; (check on http://pestmagic.co.za/)
- It did NOT come with an SA plug, it came with a European plug..
- It does not contain an ENHANCED MICROPROCESSOR - just a "flipflop" as we used to call it 25 years ago..
- It cannot use COMPUTER TECHNOLOGY as they claim as the whole thing consist of just two "flipflops" that go on-and-off at any static frequency you pitch your capacitor at.. Totally analogue, no computer code, or programming what so-ever.
- They claim an ADVANCED DIGITAL CYCLING METHOD. Hmmz they must have recently bought a German car with that type of remote locking and included that in their marketing pitch, because there is NO cycling and NO digital and definitely no ADVANCED stuff going on in that box.
– Maybe the hotter the board gets a difference in flip-flopping both LEDs blink?
I’d like to know on what mechanism this system is supposed to be working.
John Robbie says it works, and I will find out in the coming 8 weeks (yes winter brings rats into our roof).. – Does it work on the principle of Electro Mechanism? Or does it produce a noise? (Because it says ultrasonic (which is sound)) and the PC board holds a coil that could possibly function as a “speaker” ?
Lastly, the area I have no knowledge about; Is it possible at all to make any influence through Electro Mechanism or Ultra Sound to influence a (rat’s) nervous system?
Anyways, little money lost if I get my rats back in my roof, but since John Robbie was very positive about this (similar?) product, I wanted to give it a try too..
If it works I’ll install 250 at work to get my managers out of the building
PS this puppy also chases Roaches, Flies, Spiders, Mice, Fleas, Ants and Mosquitoes as well – I might have gotten an upgrade on John’s version)