Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cisco 1841 & Diginet Setup

Default Cisco 1841 & Diginet Setup

I am very very new to this technology so please bear me out with the simple questions.

I have installed a 64k diginet line at my site and at the other site.
    I have purchased 2 x 1841 Ciso routers one for me one for the other site.
    I now need to setup and connect the two together and thats where it becomes grey and blurry.
    The 1841 has a serial port connected to the NTU.
    The other company has given me their ip address that my router on their side will connect to and told me to setup the router first and then ship it down to them.

So I need to know what needs to be done this side from IP addressing and Ethernet and serial setup.
    The router also needs to NAT.

This is what info I have so far, I need to know what type of IP address range and subnets I should be using on the routers

My Company
    Ethernet Cisco 1841
    192.168.16.x Eth0 xxx.xxx.xxx
    Ser0 xxx.xxx.xxx

External Company
    Ethernet Switch Cisco 1841
    192.168.17.x Eth0 xxx.xxx.xxx
    Ser0 xxx.xxx.xxx

The serial links will be point to point so a subent mask of 255.255.255.252 will be fine. Gives you a network address, 2x IPs for the serial interfaces & a broadcast address. Both sides must corrospond though.

The LANs are up to you to decide the mask depending on the amount of PCs. 255.255.255.0 will be fine for less than 254 hosts.
    Last edited by ponder; 11-07-2009 at 02:20 PM.
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Quote Originally Posted by toxic View Post
    The router also needs to NAT.
    This is a bit ambiguous, you'd need to explain the desired outcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nux
    Oh,what a day...what a lovely day!

Lightbulb CISCO Examples

Quote Originally Posted by toxic View Post
    I am very very new to this technology so please bear me out with the simple questions.
    I have installed a 64k diginet line at my site and at the other site.
    I have purchased 2 x 1841 Ciso routers one for me one for the other site.
    I now need to setup and connect the two together and thats where it becomes grey and blurry.
    Welcome to the "grey & blurry" world of Cisco -- a STEEP learning curve for a noob.

IF you really want to know about this you have a long road ahead of you.

The first place to start is strangely enough CISCO

Not sure if you received any documentation with your boxed routers ? -- that would be a good place to start. Was there perhaps a CD or DVD ???

Often there are standard template setups as part of the documentation.

OR

Go to the Cisco website

Start here as an introduction to the Cisco 1800 series Routers

Go here for actual examples

Cisco are actually very good at providing documentation -- you just have to scratch around for it a bit.

IF you feel like Googling you will probably turn up mutiple examples of what you want -- even a straight copy and paste. Will you understand it though

BTW -- for a straight 64Kb diginet (Matis) you could have managed with something a lot less expensive than an 1841 -- unless you need to and are going to use all the "bells & whistles"

MW

Based on the descriptions on the cisco website for the 1841 router it has two fast ethernet interfaces so you will need to figure out how your office lan is setup first. Assuming that there is no ADSL or other connectivity at the office and that both routers are sitting on .1 of their respective subnets:

On your company router your will need to get into the cisco configuration mode - assuming that you are working over the console cable here:

Seeing that vb does not play nice you can go to http://www.pastie.org/private/exner6p6n1rgewwveggbnw for the router configuration bits - note that I'm just using static routes and not implementing any gateway routing protocols.

Things that still need to be done is adding access lists to restrict what data goes over the leased line, securing the routers with passwords, restricting virtual terminal access, etc.

That static route isnt going to do it for you. The routes should be the other sides lan subnet to the next hop serial interface.

ip route 192.168.15.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.15.2 name company_b_ethernet - wrong

ip route 192.168.16.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.15.1 name company_a_ethernet - right
    ip route 192.168.17.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.15.2 name company_b_ethernet - right

Lightbulb More Links ( More Confusion )

@Toxic -- Solved your problem yet ????

Here are some more helpful links

Main Free Tutorial Page

More Specific

Static Routing

IF you are done and sorted ??? Let us see what you did

MW

Lightbulb Some more Info

Here is another link -- Scratch around here

Cisco Academy *Router Configuration*

( Download Packet Tracer )

If you still had the two routers and a DCE/DTE cable you could have done a virtual test to check if everything is working.

It seems that a standard leased serial line link is pretty similar all the way up from an 805.

The Cisco 18XX examples seem a bit sketchy -- on that site one can normally find lovely examples with network diagrams and full step by step configurations.

Perhaps a "simple" point to point configuration is "beneath" an all singing -- all dancing 1841

MW
    Last edited by MidnightWizard; 16-07-2009 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Change URL

+ Reply to Thread