Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 99 of 100 FirstFirst ... 49899596979899100 LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,485 of 1500

Thread: Understanding SNR and Attenuation Rates

Quote Originally Posted by Spamhater View Post
    Thank you for the info , it all , makes sense to me.I am on a 10 mb line.
    I upgraded last week before the upgrade I had a 20db SNR noice level and then I was on a 4mb line then.
    SNR is a ratio between current signal/frequency usage and available signal. If you upgrade your speed you use more frequency to do so, so it's got less extra frequency to play with, lowering your SNR.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocolateBadger View Post
    Welcome to life. It's your life. Do what you want.
    http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6723240596

I know VDSL runs on a different frequency than ADSL. I wonder what most folks get on VDSL stat wise. My AT went up from 15.5 on ADSL to 18 on VDSL. SNR went from 16 to 26. What do you oaks on VDSL get stat wise? My ping from PE to CPT has been crap the passed 6 months.

Last edited by WaRLoRd ZA; 08-09-2017 at 08:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WaRLoRd ZA View Post

I know VDSL runs on a different frequency than ADSL. I wonder what most folks get on VDSL stat wise. My AT went up from 15.5 on ADSL to 18 on VDSL. SNR went from 16 to 26. What do you oaks on VDSL get stat wise? My ping from PE to CPT has been crap the passed 6 months.

Same rules apply to VDSL as it does to ADSL. VDSL just adds more higher frequency spectrum, if your ADSL2+ line can handle ~14Mbps you should be able to get 20Mbps VDSL.

The high latency is probably your ISP. ping bras.afrihost.com, if it's over 15ms it's your ISP.

Would it be possible for someone to estimate what they think my max line speed should be, given these values? On the Telkom adsl checker site, it says 2Mbps which is what I have, but I really want to get a faster line

Quote Originally Posted by Okabe Rintarou View Post

Would it be possible for someone to estimate what they think my max line speed should be, given these values? On the Telkom adsl checker site, it says 2Mbps which is what I have, but I really want to get a faster line
    Around 10Mbps. The 2Mbps is probably due to you being connected to a mini-dslam or insufficient back-haul. If you can, try upgrading, the worst they'll say is no. Your line is physically capable of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnatan56 View Post
    Around 10Mbps. The 2Mbps is probably due to you being connected to a mini-dslam or insufficient back-haul. If you can, try upgrading, the worst they'll say is no. Your line is physically capable of it.
    Awesome, that's a relief. Thanks for the response. I guess I'll try changing my package and see what happens.

I'm guessing I only need to do this through my ISP and they'll sort out the rest

Name:  Capture10.PNG
Views: 138
Size:  14.5 KB

I used to get 4096 comfortably but now only syncing at 2560? I don't see any noticeable decrease in my line stats? my line is able to sync at 4mb right?
    [Current] Cybersmart 200GB Capped
    [Previous] Crystal Web Uncapped 4mb One of the Best Uncapped ISPs

Quote Originally Posted by 325i View Post
    Name:  Capture10.PNG
Views: 138
Size:  14.5 KB

I used to get 4096 comfortably but now only syncing at 2560? I don't see any noticeable decrease in my line stats? my line is able to sync at 4mb right?
    Call your ISP and ask them to reset your sync profile.

Hi 325i. Looking at your attenuation of 50.1 dB, the length of your copper wire to the exchange is 3,6 km. That’s tough, especially for ADSL2+.

Name:  attenuation-copper-length-km.png
Views: 125
Size:  203.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Assassin View Post
    Call your ISP and ask them to reset your sync profile.
    Have phoned Telkom numerous times and asked for a port reset? same thing? even a techie came out but all I got was a call asking if everything was good (speeds actually decreased before he could call)

Quote Originally Posted by beesboertjie View Post
    Hi 325i. Looking at your attenuation of 50.1 dB, the length of your copper wire to the exchange is 3,6 km. That’s tough, especially for ADSL2+.

*snip*
    is there a way to change from adsl2+ to adsl/adsl2 or is it set by telkom and not able to be changed?

Quote Originally Posted by 325i View Post
    Have phoned Telkom numerous times and asked for a port reset? same thing? even a techie came out but all I got was a call asking if everything was good (speeds actually decreased before he could call)

is there a way to change from adsl2+ to adsl/adsl2 or is it set by telkom and not able to be changed?
    You do it on your router.
    Tips for travellers to Thailand: www.thailandtips.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by bokka1 View Post
    On which routers am I able to do this? I know I currently have a budget Huawei (HG 532s) one which basically just allows me to log into my data account and change my Wi-Fi password. (Has portforwarding/nat/etc but other than that it's basic)

hi
    i have a 4 mbps uncapped line with telkom and wanted to upgrade to 10 mbps line but according to telkom website my area supports only 4 mbps i phoned once and asked if my area supports 10 they told me no but the block next to my block supports 10 mbps i realyy wanna upgrade so is there any way forme to get 10 mbps speed

router details

Downstream Line Rate (Kbps): 5119
    Upstream Line Rate (Kbps): 508
    Downstream Upstream
    Line Coding(Trellis): On On
    SNR Margin (dB): 56 177
    Attenuation (dB): 570 344
    Output Power (dBm): 0 128
    Attainable Rate (Kbps):5880 988
    D (interleaver depth): 96 1
    Delay (msec): 15.90 1.13

Quote Originally Posted by bokka1 View Post
    No, you can force it to only accept ADSL2 sync, but there's no point.
    Staying at ADSL2+ is better as it has access to more frequency spectrum, there are no negatives. It's the same as VDSL always being better than ADSL, but there are cases where the difference is negligible (when you're too far from the exchange).

Quote Originally Posted by 5IVE View Post
    hi
    i have a 4 mbps uncapped line with telkom and wanted to upgrade to 10 mbps line but according to telkom website my area supports only 4 mbps i phoned once and asked if my area supports 10 they told me no but the block next to my block supports 10 mbps i realyy wanna upgrade so is there any way forme to get 10 mbps speed

router details
    Code:

Downstream Line Rate (Kbps):	5119
    Upstream Line Rate (Kbps):	508
                                                      Downstream     Upstream
    Line Coding(Trellis):	On 	On 
    SNR Margin (dB):	56 	177 
    Attenuation (dB):	570 	344 
    Output Power (dBm):	0 	128 
    Attainable Rate (Kbps):5880 	988 
    D (interleaver depth):	96 	1 
    Delay (msec):	15.90 	1.13
    I would say no, you've got 5.6dB SNR downstream. Under 6dB it will start disconnecting you at times. Pushing it higher would be a bad idea.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 99 of 100 FirstFirst ... 49899596979899100 LastLast