Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

Closed Thread

Thread: [Read This First] FAQ: Vodacom's Data, Data Bundles, 3G, HSDPA, HSUPA, EDGE, etc

Vodacom Representative

Arrow [Read This First] FAQ: Vodacom's Data, Data Bundles, 3G, HSDPA, HSUPA, EDGE, etc

Please look here first for information pertaining to the Vodacom HSDPA/3G/EDGE/GPRS data services.

Please posts any suggestions in this thread and I'll add them in.

Additional FAQ for Data Bundles (Contract & Pre-paid)

Additional FAQ for HSDPA

Additional FAQ for Vista

Additional FAQ for Apple MAC

Service Overview

Vodacom 3G Site for all official info

Where can I use HSDPA/3G/EDGE/GPRS? (Coverage Map)

Do I still need an ISP?: No Vodacom GRPS/EDGE/3G/HSDPA is your network connection. You can get a free Vodamail e-mail account or use your current e-mail account.

Where can I roam with GPRS/3G?

Commercial Questions

What are the different options (contract, bundle, pre-paid)?

What does it cost?

How does Vodacom rates compare to the rest of the world?

Where can I get it?

- Any retail shop selling Vodacom phones / contracts.

Support Questions

Some general tips for using 3G (mostly Pre-Paid orientated)

How do I get support / What are the various support contact details?

Using the 155 Call-Back Service

Using the on-line Self Help Service

Asking Vodacom3G for help

Where do I log-in to I see my data usage?

A simpler, lighter version to check your balance

Some applications you can use to assist in monitoring your usage

How do I check my card type and model?

Mail Server setting for sending mail: smtp.vodacom.co.za or read this thread: Mail Relay Server Settings

VPN Settings

Where can I get a Vodacom Clip-on External Antenna?

Where can I get a non-Vodacom, high-gain External Antenna?

Where can I get a PCI -> PCMCIA Adaptor for the data card?

How to unlock the Huawei E620, if it was network locked

What about Linux support?

- Linux is not directly supported by Vodacom/Vodafone. However, forumites, being who they are, have got it working in this main thread.
    Special thanks to Tazz_Tux for his great support on all matters Linux!

How to set up mail on the Ipaq HP6500 by Azilan

Technical Questions

How to share multiple computers on one data card

Using a MTN SIM in a Vodacom E220

Connecting without the dashboard

Issues with .NET

What does 'RAS Error XXX' mean?

Detailed DUN Error Code description from ModemSite.com

Are there known Notebook compatability issues?

Are there known Application compatability issues?

What do the flashing LED's mean?

What factors affect throughput and what is 'cell breathing'?

What factors influence Line of Sight (LOS) Distance?

How to check your Signal Strength

What is 'throughput' and 'latency' and how does it affect performance?

Downloads

Latest downloads available here.

- Supported Operating Systems

- Windows 2000 Professional + Service Pack 2 or higher + IrDa Patch + Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher
    - Windows XP Home Edition + Service Pack 1 or higher
    - Windows XP Professional + Service Pack 1 or higher

Additional FAQ for Vista
    Additional FAQ for Apple MAC

- Non-Supported Operating Systems

- Windows 98 Second Edition
    - Windows Millenium Edition
    - Windows NT 4.0
    - Unix (Not supported officially, but see forum for excellent support!)
    Last edited by morkhans; 09-09-2009 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Updated a couple of [url=] links to instead use [post=] to fixed some dead links

Vodacom Representative

Default HSDPA FAQ Thread

Vodacom is very excited to launch 3G with HSDPA on Sunday 2nd April 2006. Please find herewith information on this exciting new technology including processes for customers with existing 3G Mobile Connect Cards.

What is 3G HSDPA?
    High-Speed Downlink Packet Access or HSDPA is a new mobile data protocol and is sometimes referred to as a 3.5G (or "3½G") technology. It is an evolution of current data standards, designed to increase the available data rate by up to 5 times.

What is needed to access the 3G HSDPA Broadband network?
    The latest HSDPA data card that can be used with a Vodacom 3G contract or with a 3G/MyMeg Bolt-on.

Vodacom is currently introducing the new HSDPA enabled Vodafone Mobile Connect Card - the Option Nozomi.

The Novatel U740 and Huawei E620 data cards have also been approved on the Vodacom network, but are not currently being distributed by Vodacom.

How much does it cost?
    Utilising HSDPA will cost exactly the same as 3G during the launch phase.

Are the current 3G Vodafone Mobile Connect Cards compatible with HSDPA?
    No, unfortunately the current cards cannot be upgraded to support HSDPA. Customers will need to purchase the new HSDPA enabled Vodafone Mobile Connect cards which comes with a new disk for the installation of new software specific for the HSDPA card.

Why can the current Vodafone Mobile Connect cards not be upgraded?
    All current Mobile Connect cards do not have the physical capability to be used on the higher speed, so just upgrading the software won’t help.

What can existing 3G customers do in order to get an HSDPA card?
    The improvement and upgrading of technology is a global reality, however there are 5 options for existing customers to obtain an HSDPA card:

Option 1 – Wait for upgrade eligibility
    As with all Vodacom’s 24 month airtime contracts, customers become eligible for an upgrade in month 22 and will be able to obtain the new HSDPA card at this point.

Option 2 – Premature upgrade
    Customers have the option of a premature upgrade. What this implies is that customers will be able to upgrade their card and extend their contracts prior to their eligibility date. There will however, be a cost involved with this option. It should be noted that the extension of the contract for a further 24 months is based on the end date of the contract and not the date of the premature upgrade. The cost to the customer will depend on the number of months left on the original airtime contract.

Customers who would like to do a premature upgrade, should call the Retentions department on 082-1959 and apply for the premature upgrade. The Retentions Consultant will supply the customer with a quote for the premature upgrade and extension of the contract.

Such process can only be handled by the Retentions Department at Head Office and not at store level. Customers must liaise directly with such department as the upgrade will be processed internally at VSP and the HSDPA card will be couriered to the customer on receipt of the accepted quote.

Option 3 - Customer can buy the card for cash
    Customers always have the option of purchasing any device for cash. Please call around for pricing.

Option 4 – Swop out of the 3G Mobile Connect Card for an HSDPA Card
    Customers who would like to swop out their existing 3G Mobile Connect Cards will have such option and will receive a R400 (including VAT) discount on the HSDPA card.

Customers must return their 3G Mobile Connect Card to the trade partner in order to receive the above discount on the HSDPA card.

Option 5 – Get a free swap-out.
    Any customer who received a 3G data card between 1 February 2006 and 31st of March 2006, can get a free HSDPA swapout.

Now that we will be supplying HSDPA cards, will the 3G cards still be available?
    Yes, the 3G Vodafone Mobile Connect cards will still be available for purchase and use by customers. Different deals will be structured between 3G and HSDPA cards. HSDPA cards will be slightly more expensive than the 3G cards when purchased for cash.

Can any handsets make use of the 3G HSDPA Network?
    No, current 3G handsets are not compatible with the HSDPA Network. New HSDPA enabled handsets are likely to only become available later this year.

Are the 3G Routers compatible with the 3G HSDPA cards?
    Yes the existing Linksys Routers are compatible however, a firmware upgrade to the router will have to be done. The upgraded firmware will be available by the 1st of June 2006 on www.vodacom.co.za

Where can the 3G HSDPA Broadband Network be accessed?
    All 3G enabled base stations have been upgraded to also support HSDPA, however, the coverage is not identical due to the fact that the HSDPA network is more sensitive to external influences.

Can customers roam with 3G HSDPA?
    Yes, roaming will be available initially in Germany, Austria and Portugal. However, it must be noted that roaming is very costly and potentially more so than 3G due to the increased ability to download more data. Current 3G data roaming rates apply.

Does the 3G HSDPA card look different to the current 3G data cards?
    No, the Option Nozomi, HSDPA card is identical to the Option Quad lite and Option Fusion cards. To identify your card, look at the serial number on the back of the card. These are the prefixes to the various cards.

Card Name___Serial Prefix__HSDPA
    Option Colt______CL_____No
    Option Quad-lite__QL____No
    Option Fusion____RC____No
    Option Nozomi___NZ____Yes

With regards to the Novatel U740, it too, is identical to the Novatel U630 but the main sticker on the top of the card will denote that it is an HSDPA card

Both the Option and Novatel HSDPA cards will have the 3G Broadband logo on the top of the card.

What speeds can be attained on the 3G HSDPA Broadband Network?
    Under perfect conditions, customers would get speeds of up to 1.8 Mbps, but expect to see speeds of between 500 Kbps and 800 Kbps with peaks of approximately 1.4 Mbps.

If there is no HSDPA signal will I be able to use 3G and GPRS?
    Yes, when the signal drops off customers will be able to access the 3G, EDGE and GPRS network in the same manner as with the 3G network.

When I am connected, how will I know that I am on HSDPA and not 3G?
    When customers connect via HSDPA, they will seamlessly move between HSDPA and 3G, as the the same network infrastructure is being used. The flashing lights will however indicate which bearer you are using.

Why am I getting 3G like speeds whilst “connected” to HSDPA?
    The HSDPA network has the intelligence to supply customers with increased bandwidth, where available, only as they require it, thereby providing a far more efficient utilisation of bandwidth. For instance, searching for a Web site on Google would not require large bandwidth, yet downloading a large video clip would require a lot more bandwidth and customers will therefore be allocated more bandwidth only when they start downloading.
    Last edited by vodacom3g; 11-04-2006 at 09:31 AM.

Vodacom Representative

Default Information leaflet you get in the shops

1. GETTING STARTED

• How do I decide on a tariff and a data modem?
    - Discuss your needs with the Vodacom sales consultant and he / she will advise a tariff and data modem relevant to your needs.
    - Ensure that the data modem you choose is compatible with your physical connector / adaptor / port on your PC or Laptop. (Should you CHANGE your PC or Laptop, your data modem may NO longer be compatible with your new PC or Laptop!)

Please note. Vodacom will NOT exchange your data modem due to compatibility issues, once you have received the data modem of YOUR CHOICE.

• What do I need to do to get my data modem working with my PC or Laptop?
    - Call the number on the installation voucher and one of our technicians will come to you to assist with the installation.
    - Refer to the enclosed “Quick Installation Guide” and install the modem yourself
    - Call the number on the installation voucher and one of our technicians will come to you to assist with the installation.

Please note. If you encounter difficulties during this installation, please contact the Vodacom Data Helpdesk on 082 155 (free from your Vodacom cellphone).

2. PC / LAPTOP & DATA MODEM RELATED MATTERS

• What should I do if my new data modem is faulty?
    - Within 7 days of purchase - contact the Vodacom outlet from which you purchased your data card. Under certain circumstances, the Vodacom outlet will replace your data modem with the same model provided that there is no physical damage / abuse to the data modem/ accessories, and that you return the undamaged data card, accessories, original packaging, instruction manuals and the proof of purchase to the Vodacom outlet.
    - After 7 days of purchase – Vodacom provides a 2 year warranty on your data modem purchased from approved Vodacom outlets via our Vodacare outlets. Please refer to the ‘Two Year Warranty Guide’ attached to your data modem packaging. To find your nearest Vodacare outlet, simply dial 125VODACARE.

• What factors may impact the speed and/ or coverage when I access the Internet using my data modem?
    The quality of your coverage and data speed is impacted by:
    - The internet site that you are accessing
    - The number of customers on the Vodacom data network in your geographical area
    - The speed and capacity of your PC / Laptop

• Can Vodacom provide me with data modem insurance?
    Yes, on your request. Please ask your sales consultant to explain the various insurance band options, as well as excess and claim procedures.
    Please note. An insurance claim is only valid if your SIM card was in the data modem at the time of loss.

3. YOUR VODACOM INVOICE / STATEMENT

• When will I receive my 1st Vodacom invoice, and when will it be payable?
    Vodacom Service Provider Company invoices all contract customers on the 3rd of each month. You should receive your invoice & statement within 2 weeks via post or within 3 days via email. Your Vodacom invoice is due for payment by the end of every month (we recommend that you pay using a debit order!).

• What charges will be included in my monthly Vodacom invoice?
    Your invoice consists of the following 3 types of fees:
    – Monthly Subscription Fees – which are mostly recurring fees and are billed for the current month. Examples include recurring Data Bundle fees such a MY MEG 500, etc. Ask your Vodacom sales representative about the data bundles available.
    – Data / SMS Usage Charges – which are summarised totals of your data / SMS usage for the PREVIOUS month, calculated according to your selected data tariff plan.
    – Other Ad-hoc Charges – which are normally associated with ‘special events’, for example Once-off Connection fee, Tariff Migration fee, etc.

• Will Vodacom place a limit on my monthly bill?
    In order to protect you from any ‘surprises’ in your Vodacom bill, all new Vodacom customers will be subject to a monthly data charge limit for the first 3 months. Please ask your Vodacom sales consultant to indicate what your monthly data charge limit will be. Please note. This is NOT a guaranteed service.

4. DATA USAGE

• How will Vodacom ‘calculate’ and charge my data usage?
    Your data usage will be billed based on the amount of data (kilobytes) which is sent from your PC or Laptop OR received by your PC or Laptop while you are browsing the Internet or sending / receiving email. The amount of data will be multiplied by the applicable tariff rate (e.g. R 1.00 per Megabyte). Remember that most data contracts include a monthly data bundle (for example 500MB).
    Please note. Sending of SMS / MMS are not included in your monthly data bundle.

• Does it matter how long I stay connected to the internet?
    No! You are ONLY billed for the data which is sent / received by your PC or Laptop, and NOT the length of time that you stay connected to the internet / email.

• What RISKS are involved when I connect to the internet / email?
    When your PC / Laptop is connected to the internet via your data card, your PC / Laptop can send or receive large amounts of information ‘by itself’ within a very short period of time – without you even knowing about it! This is normally caused by viruses, automated software downloads, etc.

Will I be liable for ‘unintended’ data usage via my data modem (for example viruses, etc)?
    Yes. It is your responsibility to protect your PC / Laptop against unintended data usage when connected to the internet via your data card. We advise that you consult with an IT technician to explain the various protective measures available.

• How can I manage / monitor my data usage?
    – Do not leave your PC / Laptop connected to the internet when you do not require to be connected.
    – Ensure that you have sufficient protective measures against viruses, spy ware, etc, loaded on your PC / Laptop.
    – Be careful when listening to music, or watching / downloading movies over the internet, since such content normally contains large amounts of data.
    – Protect your PC / Laptop against unauthorised usage and access via wireless technologies, such as Bluetooth & WiFi
    – To find out how much data you have used / available of your current data bundle:
    i. Log onto www.vodacom.co.za (using your data card’s “cellphone number”), and go to the My Account… Account Info menu option
    ii. SMS the letters MM to 31050 from the Vodafone Mobile Connect Software (free service)
    iii. Click on the ‘View Usage’ button in the Vodafone Mobile Connect Software – as an indication of data usage. Note that this may not always be 100% accurate due to various technical reasons – such as viruses, spy ware, etc

5. UPGRADES

• When do I qualify for an upgrade on my data card?
    Customers are entitled to request an upgrade on their data modem and extend their contract 3 months prior to the end of their 24-month contract (i.e. from the 22nd month). When performing your upgrade you are allowed to change your Vodacom tariff plan at no cost.

6. CHANGES TO YOUR CONTRACT

• Am I allowed to change my contract terms & conditions?
    You are allowed to change specific components of your contract, for example: You may request to be migrated to a different tariff plan (subject to a potential migration fee) OR may request to add / remove value added services (like ad-hoc data bundles or data modem insurance). Please contact Vodacom Customer Service on 082 155, or an Approved Vodacom dealer.

7. CUSTOMER SERVICE

• How do I request support from Vodacom?
    – Contact Customer Services on 082155 (free from your Vodacom cellphone). Also refer to your monthly invoice / statement for other important numbers.
    – Vodacom also provides various Self-Service options for example www.vodacom.co.za (refer to your monthly invoice / statement for more Self-Service options).
    Last edited by morkhans; 04-05-2010 at 08:07 AM. Reason: v4me -> Vodacom update

Vodacom Representative

Default Letter with first bill

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

1. HOW DOES VODACOM CALCULATE AND CHARGE MY DATA / INTERNET USAGE?

Your data usage is billed based on the amount of data (kilobytes) which is sent from your PC or Laptop to the Internet, OR received by your PC or Laptop from the Internet. For example, every time you visit a website, OR when you send or receive emails, Vodacom will calculate the amount of data (kilobytes) sent / received. The amount of data is then multiplied by the appropriate tariff rate (e.g. R 1.20 per Megabyte). Remember most data contracts include a monthly data bundle (for example 500MB).

2. DOES IT MATTER HOW LONG I STAY CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET?
    No! You are billed based on the amount of data which is sent / received by your PC or Laptop, and NOT the ‘length of time’ that you stay connected to the Internet / email. In other words, for some periods – you may not incur ANY charges when connected, but similarly – you may incur high charges when sending / receiving BIG amounts of data within a few seconds / minutes!

3. WHAT RISKS ARE INVOLVED WHEN I CONNECT TO THE INTERNET / EMAIL?

When your PC / Laptop is connected to the Internet, your PC / Laptop can send or receive large amounts of information ‘by itself’ within a very short period of time – without you even knowing about it! This is normally caused by viruses, automated software downloads, etc.

4. AM I LIABLE FOR ‘UNINTENDED’ DATA USAGE (FOR EXAMPLE VIRUSES, ETC)?

Yes. It is your responsibility to protect your PC / Laptop against unintended data usage when connected to the Internet. We advise that you consult with an IT technician to explain the various protective measures available to you.

5. HOW CAN I MANAGE / MONITOR MY DATA USAGE?

o Do not leave your PC / Laptop connected to the Internet when you do not require to be connected.
    o Ensure that you have sufficient protective measures against viruses, spy ware, etc, loaded on your PC / Laptop.
    o Be careful when listening to music, or watching / downloading movies over the Internet, since such content normally contains large amounts of data.
    o Protect your PC / Laptop against unauthorised usage and access via wireless technologies, such as Bluetooth & WiFi.
    o To find out how much data you have used / available on your current data bundle:
    o Log onto www.vodacom.co.za, and go to the My Account… Account Info menu option. If you are using a data card, use your data card’s “cellphone number” to logon.
    o SMS the letters MM to 31050 (free service). If you are using a data card, you can send an SMS from the Vodafone Mobile Connect Software.
    o If you are using a data card, click on the ‘Usage’ button in the Vodafone Mobile Connect Software which indicates month-to-date data usage. Note that this may not always be 100% accurate due to various technical reasons – such as viruses, spy ware, etc.

6. WILL VODACOM LIMIT (“CAP”) MY MONTHLY DATA USAGE?

No. Most data contracts include a monthly data bundle. The good news is that you will not be prevented from accessing the Internet once your monthly bundle is depleted. You will simply be billed at the applicable out-of-bundle data rate (e.g. R 1.20 per Megabyte).
    Last edited by morkhans; 04-05-2010 at 08:07 AM. Reason: v4me -> Vodacom update

Vodacom Representative

Default Contract Data FAQ

Data Bundles for CONTRACT Customers (excluding Top Up customers).

1. What are the various data bundle options available?

Bolt-on Data Options Data included(per Month) Subscription(incl. VAT) Effective In-bundle rate (per MB) Out-of-bundle rate (per MB)
    My Meg 5 5MB R9.25 R2.00 R1.85/MB
    MY MEG 20 20 MB R 28.00 R 1.40 R 2.00
    MY MEG 75 75 MB R 88.00 R 1.17 R 2.00
    MY MEG 150 150 MB R 119.00 R 0.79 R 2.00
    MY MEG 250 250 MB R 160.00 R 0.64 R 1.50
    MY MEG 500 500 MB R 189.00 R 0.38 R 1.20
    MY GIG One 1 GB R 289.00 R 0.28 R 1.20
    MY GIG Two 2 GB R 389.00 R 0.19 R 1.20
    MY GIG Three 3 GB R 689.00 R 0.22 R 1.00
    MY GIG Five 5 GB R 989.00 R 0.19 R 1.00
    MY GIG Ten 10 GB R 1,989.00 R 0.19 R 1.00

2. How do I activate a data bundle to my existing Contract voice package?

 Contact Vodacom’s dedicated care line on 155 free from your Vodacom cellphone, or 082 155 from any other phone; or
     contact your Service Provider.
     Visit the Walk In Customer Care centres.

3. How do I check my usage during the lifespan of the bundle?

Please note that the balances are not generated in real time and thus the information may not necessarily be correct at the time of receipt. The delay is approximately 8 hours.
     SMS the keyword MM to 31050 and receive the remaining data available.
     Contact the data call centre on 082 155.
     Log onto www.vodacom.co.za (using your data card’s “cellphone number”), and go to the My Account… Account Info menu option
     Click on the ‘View Usage’ button in the Vodafone Mobile Connect Software – as an indication of data usage. Note that this may not always be 100% accurate due to various technical reasons – such as viruses, spy ware, etc

4. Will I get an alert when my bundle is due to expire?

You will be sent an automated notification once your data usage has reached the 80, 90 and 95% limit.

5. How can I ensure that I don’t exceed my data bundle?

You will be able to manage your data usage successfully by using the following safety measures:
    • Do not leave your PC / Laptop connected to the internet when you do not require to be connected.
    • Ensure that you have sufficient protective measures against viruses, spy ware, etc, loaded on your PC / Laptop.
    • Be careful when listening to music, or watching / downloading movies over the internet, since such content normally contains large amounts of data.
    • Protect your PC / Laptop against unauthorised usage and access via wireless technologies, such as Bluetooth & WiFi
    • To find out how much data you have used / available of your current data bundle:
    – Log onto www.vodacom.co.za (using your data card’s “cellphone number”), and go to the My Account… Account Info menu option
    – SMS the letters MM to 31050 from the Vodafone Mobile Connect Software (free service)
    – Click on the ‘View Usage’ button in the Vodafone Mobile Connect Software – as an indication of data usage. Note that this may not always be 100% accurate due to various technical reasons – such as viruses, spy ware, etc

6. Will Vodacom place a limit on my monthly bill?

In order to protect you from any ‘surprises’ in your Vodacom bill, all new Vodacom customers will be subject to a monthly data charge limit for the first 3 months. Please ask your Vodacom sales consultant to indicate what your monthly data charge limit will be. Please note. This is NOT a guaranteed service.

7. How do I ‘top up’ my bundle?

You can do so by contacting your service provider.

8. Can I switch between the various Bolt-on Data Bundles?

Yes. Simply contact Customer Services on 082 155 (free from your Vodacom cellphone) or visit any Vodacom Approved Outlet or Vodacom Walk-in Customer Care Centre.

9. When does the bundle expire?

A bolt on bundle is valid for up to 60 days from date of purchase. Carryover information

10. What happened if I use MORE than my bundled data per month?

Once you have used all your bundled data in a month, you will start paying the ‘Out-of-bundle’ rate for every MB used outside of your data bundle (see the last column in the table above).

However, we would advise one of the following MORE ECONOMICAL options:
    • If you expect to CONTINUE using more than your data bundle in future, switch to a bigger bolt-on data bundle – and benefit from even lower rates from your 1st MB used each month!
    • If you only need additional data on the ODD OCCASION, activate an additional ad-hoc data bundle to ‘help you through’ the month.
    • A 24-month data contract which suits your data usage needs. You will benefit from data rates as low as 20c per MB and receive the new Vodafone USB modem FREE.

11. Can I buy more than one bundle?

Yes.

12. Can I share one bundle across multiple users?

Yes. By using a 3G Linksys Router you will be able to connect up to 10 users.
    The 3G router has a slot where your data card is inserted and can be used as a fixed line modum or in a wireless environment.
    Please note that the more users linked, the less bandwidth you will have available.
    We recommend that have no more than 8 users linked to the router at a time.

13. Who does the above information pertain to?

All SP’s across the Vodacom network.
    Last edited by morkhans; 04-05-2010 at 08:08 AM. Reason: v4me -> Vodacom changes

Vodacom Representative

Default Pre-Paid Data FAQ

Data Bundles for PREPAID and TOP UP customers

Vodacom Prepaid and Top Up customers now benefit from the same low-cost mobile data services as Contract customers.

1. What are the various data bundle options available?

Bolt-on Data Options Data included(per Month) Subscription(incl. VAT) Effective In-bundle rate (per MB) Out-of-bundle rate (per MB)

MY MEG 500 500 MB R 189.00 R 0.38 R 2.00
    MY GIG One 1 GB R 289.00 R 0.28 R 2.00
    MY GIG Two 2 GB R 389.00 R 0.19 R 2.00

2. How do I buy a bundle?

You can purchase a bundle in the following ways:

SMS purchase:

• Send an SMS to the number 100.
    • Your message should read “MyMeg XXX or MyGig X”.
    • The “X” represents the size of the data bundle purchase (e.g. MyMeg 500, MyGig 1, MyGig 2).

USSD purchase:

• Select the MyPhone menu (*111#).
    • Upon selecting this option in the menu, the customer is directed to a second menu listing the data bundle options and associated costs for the bundles.

Vodacom Portal purchase:

• Log on to the Vodacom web site.
    • Selects data bundle options.
    You will receive a purchase confirmation once the above actions have been completed.

3. How do I check my usage during the lifespan of the bundle?

You can check you data usage balance in the following ways:

Balance Enquiries

You will be able to query the data balance of your prepaid data account at any time. The amount displayed will reflect the remaining available volume of data in your account.

SMS

Send a SMS with the word “balance” to 100.

USSD

The MyPhone service and menu (*111#) can now reflect your balance.

Portal – Vodacom

By logging onto Vodacom you will be able to access your available prepaid data.

4. Will I get an alert when my bundle is due to expire?

You will be sent an automated notification once your data usage has reached the 80, 90 and 95% limit.

5. Can I check my usage if I exceed my data bundle?

You can check your current usage once your bundle is depleted. Once the bundle is depleted your available airtime will be used at the ‘out of bundle’ rates.

6. How can I ensure that I don’t exceed my data bundle?

You will need to check your current usage as communicated in question 3.

You will be able to manage your data usage successfully by using the following safety measures:
    • Do not leave your PC / Laptop connected to the internet when you do not require to be connected.
    • Ensure that you have sufficient protective measures against viruses, spy ware, etc, loaded on your PC / Laptop.
    • Be careful when listening to music, or watching / downloading movies over the internet, since such content normally contains large amounts of data.
    • Protect your PC / Laptop against unauthorised usage and access via wireless technologies, such as Bluetooth & WiFi
    • To find out how much data you have used / available of your current data bundle:
    – Log onto www.vodacom.co.za (using your data card’s “cellphone number”), and go to the My Account… Account Info menu option
    – SMS the letters MM to 31050 from the Vodafone Mobile Connect Software (free service)
    – Click on the ‘View Usage’ button in the Vodafone Mobile Connect Software – as an indication of data usage. Note that this may not always be 100% accurate due to various technical reasons – such as viruses, spy ware, etc.

7. How do I ‘top up’ my bundle?

The following 3 options are available to you when ‘toping up’ or recharging your prepaid data account:

SMS purchase:

• Send an SMS to the number 100.
    • Your message should read “MyMeg XXX or MyGig X”.
    • The “X” represents the size of the data bundle purchase (e.g. MyMeg 500, MyGig 1, MyGig 2).

USSD purchase:

• Select the MyPhone menu (*111#).
    • Upon selecting this option in the menu, the customer is directed to a second menu listing the data bundle options and associated costs for the bundles.

Vodacom Portal purchase:

• Log on to the Vodacom web site.
    • Selects data bundle options.

8. When does the bundle expire?
    A bundle is valid for up to 60 days from date of purchase. Carryover information. All unused data will be forfeited.

9. Can I buy more than one bundle?

Multiple data bundle purchases are NOT allowed - customers can only purchase a data bundle if either one of the following three criteria are met:

• They have not previously purchased a data bundle.
    • Their previous data bundle has expired as per the 30 day expiry rule.
    • Their previous data bundle purchased has been depleted within the 30 day period through normal data usage and their prepaid data account shows a zero balance.

10. Can I share one bundle across multiple users?

Yes. By using a 3G Linksys Router you will be able to connect up to 10 users.
    The 3G router has a slot where your data card is inserted and can be used as a fixed line modum or in a wireless environment.
    Please note that the more users linked, the less bandwidth you will have available.
    We recommend that have no more than 8 users linked to the router at a time.
    Last edited by morkhans; 04-05-2010 at 08:10 AM. Reason: v4me -> Vodacom changes

Vodacom Representative

Default More Pre-paid Data Information

FAQ FOR PREPAID DATA BUNDLES:

 Available to both Prepaid and Top Up customers.
     Only (MyMeg 500, MyGig 1, MyGig 2) options will be available at launch 01 April 2007
     Customers purchase a data bundle by allocating available funds in their prepaid account for the purchase of the data bundle of their choice. It is the customer's responsibility to ensure that they have adequate funds in their prepaid airtime account to purchase the data bundle of choice.
     When a customer purchase a data bundle, the funds used to purchase this data bundle is converted into the appropriate MB of data usage that has been bought. Balance enquiries will then display the appropriate amount of MB still available for usage in the data bundle.
     After expiry of the data bundle, any out of bundle data usage will be charged at the standard MyMeg 0 rate.
     Customers must be provisioned for data in order to purchase a prepaid data bundle.
     Data bundles will be available for 30 days from purchase ONLY.
     No carry-over rules apply to available data still in the prepaid data account upon expiry of the data bundle. Use it or lose it principle apply.
     Multiple data bundle purchases are NOT allowed.
     Customers can only purchase a data bundle if either one of three criteria are met:
    a. They have not previously purchased a data bundle.
    b. Their previous data bundle has expired as per the 30 day expiry rule.
    c. Their previous data bundle purchased has been depleted within the 30 day period through normal data usage and their prepaid data account shows a zero balance.
     Any data bundle purchase is irreversible - it is not possible to transfer any unused data into the normal prepaid account or reverse the charges.
     It is the customer's responsibility to ensure that they have adequate funds in both their prepaid data bundle and normal prepaid airtime account to perform the actions that they wish to perform. Refunds will not be made to customers should they run out of funds in the middle of a data session and the session is terminated.
     Any data bundle purchased can only be used by the MSISDN (cellular number) from which this data bundle is purchased.
     Should a data bundle be depleted during a data session, the customer will be charged at the standard MyMeg 0 rate for the remainder of the data session, should they have sufficient funds in their prepaid account to allow this.
     If session started in-bundle, the bundle is depleted and subscriber buys a new bundle, then the new bundle becomes available in the same session.
     If session started out-of-bundle and subscribers buys a bundle, the bundle becomes available only from the next session.
     Should the subscriber migrate to another prepaid or hybrid package while a balance exists in their prepaid data account, the remainder of the data account will not be forfeited.
     Should the subscriber migrate to a contract package while a balance exists in their prepaid data account, the remainder of the data package will be forfeited.
     Both the recharge and error notification SMS is zero-rated to the customer.
    Last edited by vodacom3g; 28-08-2007 at 09:16 PM.

Closed Thread