Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: On-the-road fee

Master

Question On-the-road fee

Hi guys,

We're in the process of purchasing a second hand car from a dealer for R75 000, they're charging an admin "on-the-road" fee of R2500 for delivery of the vehicle. This includes registration and all the relevant paper work.

Is this the average fee? Just seems a bit steep to me...

Blog Entries

No, thats about average. Cheap actually. I paid closer to 3k.
    I am 13531

"Balance is the key to everything, without it we would just keep falling over."

Sounds average... but haggle. I magically got this number down to 1000-1500.

Who knows where they pull those figures out their bum - it's completely ridiculous but you'll get the same story at all dealerships.

SmoothOokerMaximus The_Unbeliever's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Now that's ridiculous.

Car prices are already high enough as it is.

Super Grandmaster

I bought prhvate and had to do those things myself. Wish sum1 gave me 3k!

Blog Entries

Totally CRAZY!!

I sold new and second hand cars and the "admin" fee was a total thumb suck by the Dealer principal....however, you can INSIST on simply paying for licence and registration, plus a 'thank you" tip to the garage for going to all that trouble for you...absolute daylight robbery.

If they tried that with me they would suddenly lose a sale!

You can also take the car on temporary plates and do the registration for the actual price, which is in the region of R300 to R400 depending on the car, plus a set of number plates (R100) if you need them!

What about complaining to that man with the boring voice that advertises on 702, from some Motor dealers association. Ask them to itemise the costs. Once again it’s just part of the bad service we get without complaint.
    However I bought 2 second hand cars earlier this year and can’t seem to remember paying any “on the road Fee” Also Audi waived the charge for reissue of my previous cars papers in 2006. So it’s not all dealers
    Semper in amor
    semper in excretia sumus solum profundum variat

Master

Thanks for the input guys, we got them down to R600! Crazy what these guys try and get away with!

Quote Originally Posted by chutzpah44 View Post
    What about complaining to that man with the boring voice that advertises on 702
    who, burchmores?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    Thanks for the input guys, we got them down to R600! Crazy what these guys try and get away with!
    Excellent!! R 600 will cover the cost of the licence and roadworthy, and still pay for their "inconvenience" of actually doing a job that they are meant to do!!

I have refused to pay a cent over actual cost since I was in the business...it really is a rip-off!

Yep...haggle...these guys HOPE you don't ask what that's for, the moment you hear what its for they'll see you notice that its kinda stupid to charge 2000 for registration, 500 for delivery etc.

I told them, fill the car up, registration should be part of the initial price, so just charge for paperwork and less for registration, coz it can't be 2000...he was fuming but he got to his senses when i told him Im the client buying the car...

if they do deliver your vehicle...get it on a truckbed...

Angry Dealership wants to charge me R5000 for On the Road Charges

Same story at previous posts. Went to buy a second hand car. List Price on the car is R75K. Was happy with this and decided to take it.

Then the Salesman says that the car is actually R80K because of on the Road Charges.
    Its a rip off. The dealership never pays Book Value on a Trade-in. (so they are making a profit of this), and they want to be Administrators as well and make a profit of that business.

The Finance Department gives me a monthly installment and Interest Rate that is higher than Wesbank, eventhough they are telling me they are affliated. Decided to go pay cash and now they drop the On Road Charges Bombshell.

Should be charged for False Advertising ; they lured me there with the Price on the Car. (It was a fake price)

I refused to pay it. I am curious if they would come back to me.

They won't come back to you..

Also R5k for On The Road fees... they need to try again, that is not even close to acceptable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Korn1 View Post
    I have been called a retard my whole life

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by ToxicBunny View Post
    They won't come back to you..

Also R5k for On The Road fees... they need to try again, that is not even close to acceptable.
    Charging more than the licensing fee of the vehicle as on the road fees is ridiculous, for R5k they can go suck a pole

On road fee?!
    Name:  sticker,375x360.png
Views: 9309
Size:  60.9 KB
    You can do something for love, you can do something for money, but there is nothing quite so satisfying as doing something out of spite - Jeremy Clarkson, 1991

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast