Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: On-the-road fee

I think I paid about R3000 for the Spark and it was like I better get a full tank of petrol, they were first a litlte uhm and ahhhing but at least I got that. The carpets were already part of the price.
    I've been around for a long, long year

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dj_jyno View Post
    So I got quite a good deal, then? R2 500 for license, registration, plates, half a tank of diesel, smash-and-grab film and delivery to our office.
    That's an excellent deal!

Default On-the-road fee

Why do they always make as if they did you a favour giving you carpets?
    Don't the cars come with carpets from the factory?

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
    All the cars I have owned/bought had factory fitted velour carpets as standard. All German brands though. I also refuse to pay OTR fees. I don't mind paying for license and reg.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
    OK - the cars that I sold had basic carpets, but nothing to get excited about - basically a floor covering that helped with sound deadening - we had special heavy duty carpeting, that was specifically made for that car, made up for us - those are not supplied by the factory, but ordered by us - a full set for a Forester cost us +- R 950 - you could choose not to have any mats, but then you would be in for +- R 3000 for factory rubber mats, or R 50 a pop for those cheap rubber jobs you get at Midas.

License and registration I pay for. The rest the dealer has to give. My last purchase came with new rubber floor matts from Midas. I bought model specific fitting matts over ebay.
    You can do something for love, you can do something for money, but there is nothing quite so satisfying as doing something out of spite - Jeremy Clarkson, 1991

Zeda charge R3500 for on the road costs. They provide there own branded mats for the front seats.
    "He who plays the fool, is the fool"

Quote Originally Posted by aigle2am View Post
    Zeda charge R3500 for on the road costs. They provide there own branded mats for the front seats.
    So they make you pay for mats that advertise their company?

I'd require a discount if they want to put any branding on my car whatsoever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Korn1 View Post
    I have been called a retard my whole life

As long as the discount on the car is always double the on road fees I'm winning.
    You can do something for love, you can do something for money, but there is nothing quite so satisfying as doing something out of spite - Jeremy Clarkson, 1991

Grandmaster

The National Credit Regulator (NCR) has directed BMW to refund its customers for charging them an on-the-road fee on credit agreements.

The regulator said it was not aware what the fee was for as BMW did not explain when it enquired.

The charges ranged from R3‚000 to R6‚000

“The National Regulator ... has issued a Compliance Notice to BMW Financial Services for charging consumers an on the road fee on credit agreements‚” said NCR chief executive Nomsa Motshegare.

“The fee is not permitted to be charged on credit agreements by the National Credit Act.”

According to the regulator‚ the compliance notice instructs BMW Financial Services to refund consumers and submit an audit report to the NCR.

“The National Credit Act allows consumers to be given a quotation which sets out the cost of credit before signing credit agreements‚” Motshegare said.

“Consumers should request this quotation from their credit providers so that they can properly check the cost of credit that is being offered.”

She said the NCR will continue to conduct industry-wide investigations on the cost of credit to root out illegal charges and fees that consumers are charged.

https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/sou...-road-fee-ncr/

Grandmaster

In what could have widespread repercussions for South Africa's motor industry, the National Credit Regulator (NCR) has ordered BMW Financial Services to refund car buyers the on-the-road fee they were “illegally” charged.

The fee, also sometimes referred to as a service and delivery fee, is commonly added to vehicle finance agreements and ostensibly covers things like a pre-delivery check‚ valet‚ and fuel.

However, the NCR says this is an illegal fee that’s not permitted to be charged on credit agreements by the National Credit Act.

An on-the-road fee usually costs between R3000 and R6000, and is over and above the fee charged by dealers for getting the vehicle licensed and registered.

“The Compliance Notice instructs BMW Financial Services to refund consumers and submit an audit report to the NCR. The National Credit Act allows consumers to be given a quotation which sets out the cost of credit before signing credit agreements,” said Chief Executive Officer at the NCR, Nomsa Motshegare.

“Consumers should request this quotation from their credit providers so that they can properly check the cost of credit that is being offered.”

The NCR didn’t state what prompted the action on BMW specifically, but Motshegare said the NCR will continue to conduct industry-wide investigations on the cost of credit to root out illegal charges and fees that consumers are charged. This means more car brands could be in the firing line.

It is not known how many BMW owners are affected as the NCR notice didn't specify how far back the order is effective, but BMW South Africa says it disputes the regulator’s claims and will be objecting to its notice.

"The on the road fee is a fee agreed to between the dealer and the consumer," says a BMW SA spokesman.

https://www.iol.co.za/motoring/indus...-fees-11505423

Super Grandmaster

"The on the road fee is a fee agreed to between the dealer and the consumer," says a BMW SA spokesman.
    Which it seems is illegal, so it does matter whether it was agreed upon or not.
    I am of a nation that would not allow that fear of death, of torture, of imprisonment, of exile or persecution should result in the perpetuation of injustice.

Quote Originally Posted by thechamp View Post
    Which it seems is illegal, so it does matter whether it was agreed upon or not.
    Most purchase transactions would go like this: "Listen bud if you want to buy the car then you have to pay the fees. If you are not prepared to pay these fees then you can't buy the car."

No agreement, rather conditional selling.

It would appear that this matter only applies to 'credit sales' and not 'cash' deals.

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    Thanks for the input guys, we got them down to R600! Crazy what these guys try and get away with!
    Well done. I do not pay for license and reg or admin or delivery charges. it's a rip-off and I tell the salesperson it ain't happening. Usually they say it's cool. there are times when they try to haggle and that's when i tell them 'thank you' and get and then you see how quickly their tune changes

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

When I bought a new Honda in 2014, the dealer quoted R4000 for "on the road". I told him I would do it myself. The excuses ranged from "it is illegal" to "you cannot drive an unlicensed car on the road", to "we are empowered by Honda to personally see to all new vehicles", to it will take too long". I insisted to the extent that they threatened to cancel the sale

So I walked out. The sales manager came running after me saying he would make a plan

The dealer gave me the car's papers. Missing from the paper was the VIN number and an incorrect engine number. Did they do this deliberately? I do not know, maybe they thought I would not check
    I took the licensing papers to the local council office, this took about 45 mins, cost was R445,00
    Around the corner is a number-plate place, cost was R130,00. This took 15 mins
    Back to the dealer, gave him a POP for the price of the car

The whole exercise took about 90 mins and cost me R575,00 plus about 15km travelling
    Things won are done; joy's soul lies in the doing

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast