Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: On-the-road fee

I just bought a car and the place doesn't do on the road costs. I have to road worthy it and register and licence it in my name. Which I am fine with. No hassle.

Hopefully I am not screwed over in some other way!

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by The Philosopher View Post
    I just bought a car and the place doesn't do on the road costs. I have to road worthy it and register and licence it in my name. Which I am fine with. No hassle.

Used? Some used car dealers don't do the registration for you as in your case, the price you see is the one you pay, I don't mind paying for registration as dealing with licensing queues is not my thing, there's a difference though between paying for a service and getting ripped off.
    I am of a nation that would not allow that fear of death, of torture, of imprisonment, of exile or persecution should result in the perpetuation of injustice.

Default On-the-road fee

Hmm I wonder if this will apply on my VW that I bought from BMW.

Alphera = BMW Financial Services right?

How far back would this go?

I do seem to recall they were “discounted” away. Will need to find the docs to check exactly how it was setup.
    Last edited by SauRoNZA; 06-10-2017 at 09:31 PM.

Sjoe! Isn't that taking a bit of a chance?

Fsck that... they can do all that shyte if they want to sell me that car.. and not charge me an additional fee for it
    Quote Originally Posted by Korn1 View Post
    I have been called a retard my whole life

What do you mean?
    You have to road worthy it. So the examination for roadworthiness can find some serious and very expensive faults like oil leaks, clutch slipping, brakes. If you have to roadworthy it as you have stated then you'll have to foot the bill.

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

I have found helping other people to buy used cars privately, where you as the buyer are responsible to get a roadworthy, it is worthwhile to tell the seller that you will buy the car, but should the inspection reveal faults that you have not picked up, he will see to the repairs. If the car is a substantial sum (say over R60k) then I have found the seller agreeable. If they hum and haw and prevaricate, walk away as they may have had some bad news about the car they did not divulge to you

You then take the car for its inspection and accompany the inspector as he does his routine, impressing upon him to be severe with any apparent defects. I have known them to remove a front wheel to inspect the brake-pad depth, listen to the engine to detect things like water-pump, loose tappets, piston-slap. A R200 note while you are in the pit with him works wonders. One inspector picked up a badly done body repair, another found a nearly worn-out silencer.

You can of course elect for a full inspection, but this is much more expensive
    Things won are done; joy's soul lies in the doing

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234