Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Testbunnies required for my app similar to RouteSentry

Nice work Pada.

I've given up on RS after numerous issues trying to get it to work properly on Windows 7 - anyone tested it yet?

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

One thing that I forgot to mention. With RouteSentry, you HAD to untick the "Use default gateway on remote network" option for the local connection.
    With my Traffic Splitter app, its not necessary to uncheck that option. I would actually recommend to do the opposite.
    The reason behind this is: RouteSentry is using 0.0.0.0/0 for attempting to make the international connection the default route, where as I'm using the routes 0.0.0.0/1 & 128.0.0.0/1 to force the international connection to be the default - since it overrides 0.0.0.0/0 without deleting that route. Meaning that as soon as you disconnect your international connection, the previously default connection would be the default again - unlike with RouteSentry!

Another thing, if you wanted to add specific routes to your Local interface, rather add those route entries to the auxroutes.dat or aux2routes.dat - simply because then you can always just update your localroutes.dat from http://developers.locality.co.za/routes-rs.txt without losing your custom route entries. This way, you have to select the same interface both as an Local interface & auxilary interface though. I've done exactly this in the screenshot, given in my first post.
    Last edited by Pada; 06-11-2009 at 04:32 PM.

A known problem in the past has been that if PPPoE connectivity is lost on the local connection ( assuming PPPoE is used for Local,and Intl is dialed by the router and thus routed through eth0 ) the international connections would default back to the Eth interface nailing your bandwidth unless you explicitly removed the gateway from your Lan device IP configuration
    50% off 1 month Afrihost Uncapped here
    Speak to me about Priority after-hours technical support and remote maintenance (Server and Desktop support)

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Unfortunately that would happen to my application too, although only for a short while if I have implemented the automatic redialing & route setup features. Setting up of all the 690 local routes usually takes a while.
    If you let your router dial the local connection, then I should maybe include a persistent routes option for the local only interface. This would imply that you only have to add the local routes once, then it will remain permanently setup on your PC.

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

OK, I've updated it once again - this time with major changes. I think the application is currently as good as RouteSentry, if not better

Latest version, Traffic Splitter Beta 4:

Changes:
    • Removed RouteSentry tab
    • Merged automatically connect checkboxes
    • Added Auxilary3 interface
    • Added Options tab
    • Added Update of Local Routes list button
    • Added Edit & Import of Routes buttons
    • Added Load & Save features
    • Implemented automatically (re)connect and automatic setup of routes features
    • Added route lists to setup
    • Changed source filenames

My next objectives are to:
    • Fix all the bugs (that I don't know of yet)
    • Minimize to tray
    • Add an About tab
    • Add help documentation

Sorry for those that already checked out the SVN trunk... I'm not clued up on how to use SVN that well + I've changed most of my filenames
    Last edited by Pada; 07-11-2009 at 06:13 AM.

This program wouldn't by any chance work with Cybersmart? Because when I want to use my local cap I click an option on the Cybersmart webpage that gives me a new IP address after about 2min+- which is then my local account.

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Unfortunately I don't know how Cybersmart connections work.
    All I know is that you have to have a SEPARATE network interface/connection (eg. PPPoE Connection, VPN or Network Card) for the local connection if you want to split the international from the local traffic.
    Last edited by Pada; 07-11-2009 at 06:21 AM.

Ah owell, never mind then, good luck to you then Pada

Quote Originally Posted by Pada View Post
    Another thing, if you wanted to add specific routes to your Local interface, rather add those route entries to the auxroutes.dat or aux2routes.dat - simply because then you can always just update your localroutes.dat from http://developers.locality.co.za/routes-rs.txt without losing your custom route entries. This way, you have to select the same interface both as an Local interface & auxilary interface though. I've done exactly this in the screenshot, given in my first post.
    This is awesome, as I've wanted to do this numerous times but stopped at the thought of losing it all when I update my routing db.

Quote Originally Posted by NomNom View Post
    This program wouldn't by any chance work with Cybersmart? Because when I want to use my local cap I click an option on the Cybersmart webpage that gives me a new IP address after about 2min+- which is then my local account.
    Why not just ask Cybersmart to split your accounts into separate connections for local and international

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Anyone got my app working in Windows Vista or 7 x86 & x64 yet?

cant get it working on windows 7 x64

My PPPoE connections aren't showing on R3 with vista x86 :<
    50% off 1 month Afrihost Uncapped here
    Speak to me about Priority after-hours technical support and remote maintenance (Server and Desktop support)

Please test this Win7 compile: http://www.quickshare.co.za/files/ix..._Win7.zip.html

Source PMd to Pada

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Thanks edg3. I'm busy installing Windows 7 x64 in a VM. I'll test it then.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast