Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Testbunnies required for my app similar to RouteSentry

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, I've fixed that bug and added the option to add persistent routes. Just take note of what I've said about persistent routes in my previous post.

Apart from the bugfix & persistent routes. I've also added 2 buttons to get your Local & International IP addresses ... in the Options tab.
    I'm using http://www.whatsmyip.co.za/ddclient.php and http://checkip.dyndns.org/ddclient.php to perform the checks.

New version: Traffic Splitter Beta 5.2:
    Last edited by Pada; 08-11-2009 at 08:42 PM.

Master
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pada View Post
    Thanks for that info w.m. You would get that error if the PPPoE entry isn't in the All users phonebook. I'll fix this bug soon.

Just note that the persistent routes only works for connections where the gateway adddress remains the same. This baisically limits it to devices like Local Area Connection or Wireless Area Connection.

I can add the option that the routes has to be persistent, but I'm not sure if that is a good idea though.
    Also, at the moment, if I'm going to allow persistent routes to be added for devices (and not RAS entries like PPPoE connections), my application is going to add the persistent routes again each time you select the interface from the list OR restart the application (like its doing for non-persistent routes).
    Are there any interfaces on which the app won't work if persistant routes are selected?

And will the persistant routing still work even if the IPs of the connections change?

Sorry, I'm not that clued up with networking, lol
    Last edited by wikus; 08-11-2009 at 10:01 PM.

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, awesome!

I'll use this proggie for this week and try it out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

havent read the thread. Ive never tried RouteSentry because couldnt get instructions for RASPPPoE, is this program simpler to use and does it also require RASPPPoE?

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by w.m View Post
    Are there any interfaces on which the app won't work if persistant routes are selected?

And will the persistant routing still work even if the IPs of the connections change?

Sorry, I'm not that clued up with networking, lol
    w.m, no. I haven't limited the persistent routing option to specific connection types. I won't recommend using the persistent routing option on PPPoE connections though, because its highly likely that it would change its IP address (when you reconnect/redial it) and then the persistent routes won't be valid any more. Also, if you've selected the "Automatically set up routes" option, it would add the persistent routes again once the connection has reconnected, even if the IP address remained the same.

If you want the routes to be persistent for your local connection
    OR
    if you don't want your local downloads to use your international cap whenever your local account's cap is reached,
    I would recommend to use the following setup:

Router configuration:
    • Set your it in half-bridge mode.
    • Let it dial your local account.

Traffic Splitter configuration:
    1. Select "Persistent routes" for the Local interface
    2. Select your Local Area Connection (or whatever device connects your PC to the router) as the Local interface.
    3. Click "Set up Routes"
    4. Select " [ No interface selected ] " for the Local interface once the Progress bar has disappear (implying that the routes has been set up)

* Note: If you've added custom local routes to the Auxilary interface, which is using the same connection as the local interface, repeat steps 1 & 2 for the Auxilary interface, before continuing to step 3.
    Now you can select your other network interfaces, connect to them & set up the routes (without the persistent options being selected for them)
    Next time you start up Traffic Splitter, you can leave out the Local interface again, since the local routes would be persistent. Once you've set up the routes for the other interfaces, you could check if your local & international IP addresses differ (like they should), by clicking the International & Local buttons in the Options tab to get their IP addresses.

Arion, no, the same prerequisites that apply for RouteSentry applies for this application of mine:
    If you're using Windows XP and you want to DIAL more than 1 PPPoE connection, you HAVE to use RASPPPoE.
    If you're using Windows Vista/7 and you want to DIAL more than 1 PPPoE connection, then you SHOULDN'T use RASPPPoE, although you MUST modify your registry. After you've done the modification, you have to restart your PC.

I'll add this to the first post of mine now, and give links to the registry file that you have to import if you're using Vista/7. I'll include the registry modifications in my application in future builds once all the bugs/other issues are fixed.
    Last edited by Pada; 08-11-2009 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Included response for Arion

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beta 5.3 is now released: http://traffic-splitter.googlecode.c...terBeta5.3.zip

This version would show errors when its unable to add the routes AND it would ask for administrative privileges if it didn't have already.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would it be possible to use this App to split shaped/unshaped traffic?

That would be awesome for us gamers

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

innit01, unfortunately you cannot split traffic according to the protocol/port. You can only split traffic according to the destination.
    I've actually intended to write this app to do more than just RouteSentry. You should be able to use my app to split shaped & unshaped traffic if you know the destination addresses that you want to connect to using your unshaped account.

For instance, if you have 2 accounts: 1 international (shaped) and another international (unshaped) account, you could use the following setup in my Traffic Splitter app:
    1. Edit the Auxilary routes file (containing the destinations that you want to connect to using the unshaped account). Typically you would add the WoW, CS, Q3, CoD4 & all the other dedicated servers' IP addresses.
    2. Once you're done adding all the destinations, Import the routes.
    3. Select the shaped account as your International interface.
    4. Select your unshaped account as your Auxilary interface.
    5. Click the Set up Routes button.

Unfortunately, that kind of setup won't work for games like Warcraft III, where the game hosts doesn't have a specific IP address, because its a Peer2Peer game. This method only works for games & other stuff that connect to a static IP address. Stuff like VoIP could also be split like this.
    The other problem with this kind of setup is to get hold of the list of IP addresses that the servers use. But usually its not that hard to build your own list

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why not just have 3 accounts? or is that not possible?

Shaped
    Unshaped
    Local

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jeanres, my app caters for up to 5 connections.

You can have almost any configuration you want, including the one you mentioned: Shaped, Unshaped & Local.
    The main idea of the program was to split traffic between the Local & International accounts, but its definitely not just limited to that. Otherwise you could've just used RouteSentry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pada, thats awesome exactly what i wanted to find out. I will test this and update.

Thanks again mate.

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

innit01, if you don't know how to setup the stuff, you're welcome to send me the list of games & servers that you're using and I'll try to assist you. If its not really something personal, feel free to post in this thread. I'm sure other people would also like to know how to configure the same thing.

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pada View Post
    innit01, unfortunately you cannot split traffic according to the protocol/port. You can only split traffic according to the destination.
    Is that a limitation in your app, or a limitation in Windows routing functionality? Even in Linux routing by port is not trivial, but it is possible by using a separate routing table for each connection, and mangling packets to specific tables (and consequently to different interfaces) based on the protocol and port.

BTW: Well done on building the app. I haven't tried it yet. Hope it goes well. RouteSentry needed an update. I'll try it out when I time permits.

Can the machine running the app act as the gateway on a network (like a router) so that you don't need to set up any other client pc/console for splitting? That would be neat.

Have you encountered or overcome any source routing or dns issues yet? They bogged me down for ages on the Linksys script.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Pada, i'm going to be using this for WoW. The Realm i'm on is Twilight'
    s Hammer and the IP is 80.239.179.19. All WoW traffic i would like to go through my unshaped account and all other traffic through my shaped one.

I'm going to test this now and report back. Thanks again dude.

p.s. for any other WoW players you can get the IP of your realm from http://www.wowwiki.com/EU_English_Realms_Info.

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Gatecrasher.

Unfortunately I haven't managed to route more than 2 connections via my Windows XP machine using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing), because you can only share 1 connection I have been able to route traffic through 2 connections via my Windows XP running in VirtualBox. See this thread for the ICS type setup: http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php?t=198430
    Maybe when installing the Microsoft Loopback interface and then sharing that might permit you to share more than just 2 connections?

It might be that the Windows server editions could share more than 2 connections, like Windows 2000, 2003 or 2008.

If someone manages to share/route to more than 2 connections, I would appreciate it if he/she could show me how.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast