Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Testbunnies required for my app similar to RouteSentry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got it working thanks dude

Is it possible to view the usage with a graph? (still using beta .0.5.0.0)

Thanks

EDIT: Testing it noow and it runs very smoothly

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

badprop, I'm not going to even try to show usage graphs. I can maybe try and see if I can get the bytes sent/received from the PPPoE connections and keep the totals or something.
    Once NetLimiter 3 non-beta is out, I'll see if I can somehow integrate my application so that NetLimiter 3 can monitor the traffic for the different interfaces. Currently you can get Netlimiter 2 Monitor (which is free), which that can distinguish between LAN, My Computer & Internet traffic which is suffice in most cases.

If you want something to monitor your ADSL account usage and show graphs, see this thread: http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php?t=24500

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pada View Post
    Thanks Gatecrasher.

Unfortunately I haven't managed to route more than 2 connections via my Windows XP machine using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing), because you can only share 1 connection I have been able to route traffic through 2 connections via my Windows XP running in VirtualBox. See this thread for the ICS type setup: http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php?t=198430
    Maybe when installing the Microsoft Loopback interface and then sharing that might permit you to share more than just 2 connections?

It might be that the Windows server editions could share more than 2 connections, like Windows 2000, 2003 or 2008.

If someone manages to share/route to more than 2 connections, I would appreciate it if he/she could show me how.
    Well, I did share RouteSentry on my XP machine to the network by running a proxy server. Still a schlep because you have to enter the proxy address into all the internet aware apps throughout the network. And certain protocols gave no end of trouble.

When my router got fried earlier this year, I shared traffic splitting over the Network via IPCOP running on MS VirtualPC also on my XP box. Worked out to be a much better and more stable solution than trying to share RouteSentry via a proxy. But it still has its drawbacks.

I think if you could get a Windows based traffic management system sharing its connections seamlessly over a network I think you would have the killer app.

Master
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great app so far!

How about adding minimization to tray?

Master
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beta 5.3 finally gets everything working, thanks Pada!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pada View Post
    innit01, if you don't know how to setup the stuff, you're welcome to send me the list of games & servers that you're using and I'll try to assist you. If its not really something personal, feel free to post in this thread. I'm sure other people would also like to know how to configure the same thing.
    Hey Pada,

How wourl i add 80.239.179.19 as my only international route and all others IP's as my local route(local and international)?

Shot man.

Master
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@innit01
    Hope I'm not speaking out of turn but I would set my local and international interface to route through my local connection and set a separate auxiliary interface with that IP to route through my international connection.

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, Pseudonym had the right idea.
    If you have 1 account for both local & international and a separate account that you just want to use for WoW, use the following setup:
    For the International interface, select your international connection
    For the Auxilary interface, select your second (unshaped) account. Make sure that you've added that 80.239.179.19 to the Auxiliary routes beforehand.
    If you want to you can select the international connection for the Local interface too, but thats going to be pointless & a waste of time

I'm busy adding Hide to tray, (re)connect options for the individual connections and fixing the Show routes button that did nothing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the info guys doing this right now.

Question though, when adding the IP 80.239.179.19 to the Auxiliary routes do i need to add the subnet masK?

Also how do i populate the International Routes for both local and international?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks.

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question though, when adding the IP 80.239.179.19 to the Auxiliary routes do i need to add the subnet masK?
    innit01, unfortunately you currently have to specify the subnet mask too. For a single IP address the subnet mask would be 255.255.255.255

If you're using the same connection for both international & local traffic, then you simply modify the default route to go through that connection. You don't need to specify the same connection as local, since the traffic would by default go through the connection selected for International.

The routing table works on the principal that the smaller IP ranges always take precedence over the larger IP ranges. This is the basis on which we split the traffic. We say that ALL THE IP addresses possible (0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0) should go through the international interface, but only the local, and smaller IP ranges (eg, 41.0.0.0 mask 255.0.0.0) should go through the local interface. Since the IP range of the local addresses are smaller (and thus the subnet mask value would be bigger) it would override the international routing.
    Now when you are already splitting the international traffic from the local traffic, and you want to have a game like WoW's traffic to be routed through a third connection, you should simply add an IP range smaller than the already ones used to split the traffic. Thus we now add the single IP address for the WoW server to route the traffic through the auxilary interface.

There are few other tricks to the routing tables, like the metric value, which is simply the priority.

Unfortunately for windows users, Windows only has 1 routing table, which means that you cannot have multiple routes to get to the same destination without making use of proxy servers of some kind.

Also how do i populate the International Routes for both local and international?
    Well, I'm guessing that you don't want to split the international traffic from the local traffic (using 1 account for both destinations). In that case its very simple: select your connection as the International interface in my app.
    That would populate your routing table like you want it.

My app would then go and add the routes:
    0.0.0.0 mask 128.0.0.0
    128.0.0.0 mask 128.0.0.0
    That would simply change your default route to go through the international connection. I've used those 2 routes simply because they are exactly half the IP range size and therefore overrides 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 without deleting it like RouteSentry does.

if someone out there knows how to explain the routing/routing table stuff in a simpler/more understandable manner, feel free to post

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beta 5.4 is now released: http://traffic-splitter.googlecode.c...terBeta5.4.zip
    The new release includes a Minimize to Tray option and Reconnect settings for each interface, instead of a global setting like it used to have.

If there's a big demand for a scheduler, then I would maybe consider that as a feature for far future, because its gonna take lots of redesigning for me to implement something like that.
    The scheduler would allow you to add tasks (like with Windows' Task scheduler) and not like uTorrent where you select time zones. I haven't thought much about it yet, but I think the tasks would be:
    • change an interface to and then connect it
    • disconnect an interface (and disable its autoreconnect option)
    • connect an interface

Please let me know if you would like a feature like a scheduler.

Master
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the awesome app so far.

How about adding minimize on startup, schedule the app to run on system startup and automatically connecting connections once the app starts and if auto-reconnect is selected?
    Basically the same features we have become accustomed to with Route Sentry (and more).

It does seem as if the Traffic Splitter app is more stable than Route Sentry, for instance it doesn't freeze when the app is busy performing a task. Guess it's the .NET environment

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wikus, thanks for the input. I'll try to do that. I guess the only reason the app doesn't completely freeze like with RouteSentry is because I'm using more than 1 thread.
    I'll also try to use the CreateIPForwardEntry API call in my next release. It would reduce the time to add the local routes from about a minute or 2 to less than a second.

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although I don't need to make use of this program, I just wanted to say big up to Pada for writing this program. Once again it shows the spirit of this forum, and the lengths that we as South Africans need to go in order to save bandwidth.

Big up Pada!

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tx, I will test it for sure!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast