Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Muslim Call to Christians

Default Muslim Call to Christians

Related Threads: * Introduction to Islam * Journey through Evolution * Redirected Arguments

Muslim civic organisations, Muslim universities, heads of state of every Muslim country and leaders from every sphere from all across the globe recently wrote an open letter to all Christians in the world. A letter of this type is totally unprecedented and is truly a letter representative of the entire Muslim world.

The full text of the letter can be found at "A Common Word" and I highly recommend that the full letter is read before conclusions are jumped to or irrelevant posts are made.

See below for an abridged version of the text:

In the Name of God, the Compassionate, the Merciful

A Common Word between Us and You

(Summary and Abridgement)

Muslims and Christians together make up well over half of the world’s population. Without peace and justice between these two religious communities, there can be no meaningful peace in the world. The future of the world depends on peace between Muslims and Christians.

The basis for this peace and understanding already exists. It is part of the very foundational principles of both faiths: love of the One God, and love of the neighbour. These principles are found over and over again in the sacred texts of Islam and Christianity. The Unity of God, the necessity of love for Him, and the necessity of love of the neighbour is thus the common ground between Islam and Christianity. The following are only a few examples:

Of God’s Unity, God says in the Holy Qur’an: Say: He is God, the One! / God, the Self-Sufficient Besought of all! (Al-Ikhlas, 112:1-2). Of the necessity of love for God, God says in the Holy Qur’an: So invoke the Name of thy Lord and devote thyself to Him with a complete devotion (Al-Muzzammil, 73:8). Of the necessity of love for the neighbour, the Prophet Muhammad said: “None of you has faith until you love for your neighbour what you love for yourself.”

In the New Testament, Jesus Christ said: ‘Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is One. / And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ This is the first commandment. / And the second, like it, is this: ‘You shall love your neighbour as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.” (Mark 12:29-31)

In the Holy Qur’an, God Most High enjoins Muslims to issue the following call to Christians (and Jews—the People of the Scripture):

Say: O People of the Scripture! Come to a common word between us and you: that we shall worship none but God, and that we shall ascribe no partner unto Him, and that none of us shall take others for lords beside God. And if they turn away, then say: Bear witness that we are they who have surrendered (unto Him).
    (Aal ‘Imran 3:64)

The words: we shall ascribe no partner unto Him relate to the Unity of God, and the words: worship none but God, relate to being totally devoted to God. Hence they all relate to the First and Greatest Commandment. According to one of the oldest and most authoritative commentaries on the Holy Qur’an the words: that none of us shall take others for lords beside God, mean ‘that none of us should obey the other in disobedience to what God has commanded’. This relates to the Second Commandment because justice and freedom of religion are a crucial part of love of the neighbour.

Thus in obedience to the Holy Qur’an, we as Muslims invite Christians to come together with us on the basis of what is common to us, which is also what is most essential to our faith and practice: the Two Commandments of love.

Please see full letter at A Common Word: http://www.acommonword.com

The letter was addressed to all major Christian Churches.

These Churches returned very interesting responses.
    Last edited by wayfarer; 18-02-2016 at 04:58 PM.

So I guess that leaves us out of the question, being Godless atheists and fence sitting agnostics, not to mention the many pagans of the world.. Oh well, we can make our own club.

Quote Originally Posted by Balstrome View Post
    So I guess that leaves us out of the question, being Godless atheists and fence sitting agnostics, not to mention the many pagans of the world.. Oh well, we can make our own club.
    Yeah you guys don't really count.
    Only one of these adds to your value as a human being: Consuming things other people have made or making your own.
    link

Quote Originally Posted by Pooky View Post
    Yeah you guys don't really count.
    Sucks really, and we don't even get to call done the Wrath of nothing on these believers.... Fruits of reason and rationality (No, OC not that type of fruit!)

Quote Originally Posted by Balstrome View Post
    Sucks really, and we don't even get to call done the Wrath of nothing on these believers.... Fruits of reason and rationality (No, OC not that type of fruit!)
    Surely atheists don't need Wrath. There is nothing that hurts more than reality.
    "The problem with internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Blog Entries

Holy bananas, we are going to be REALLY outnumbered now.

If you do in fact have a learning disability, I apologise...

Quote Originally Posted by copacetic View Post
    In that case I'll enjoy being one of the minority.

Quote Originally Posted by copacetic View Post
    Lets just hope they don't turn on us.
    They must find it difficult those who take authority as the truth instead of truth as the authority

Good Call Wayfarer. This has been a call that has been echoed in recent times from both sides and I hope will continue.

There are many in these respective camps though that need to be turned toward the central message of love. Many that hate not only outside their faiths but even within them.

Blog Entries

In one sentence:

What exactly to you want?
    a2

#Trendingsucks

The bible says we should make an effort to live in peace with everyone, if it's possible. So I do want to live in peace with Muslims, but that peace shouldn't include a compromise on my biblical convictions. I shouldn't have to agree that Allah and biblical God are the same, because they are not.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rza View Post
    The bible says we should make an effort to live in peace with everyone, if it's possible. So I do want to live in peace with Muslims, but that peace shouldn't include a compromise on my biblical convictions. I shouldn't have to agree that Allah and biblical God are the same, because they are not.
    I agree.

Clearly a sign of end times.
    a2

#Trendingsucks

What about followers of Odin? Why the exclusion?

Quote Originally Posted by rza View Post
    I shouldn't have to agree that Allah and biblical God are the same, because they are not.
    /stokes fire

There can be only one, right? Which is the right one?
    I once dated a girl who lisped, she wanted to watch Faith Like Potatoes. 20 minutes in it dawned that we weren't watching a movie about the Elephant Man...

I like the response from World Evangelical Alliance, and it clearly insinuate that Muslims have to prove their genuinety otherwise this is all a farce. If they can't make peace with a few Christians in their own countries, then how do they expect to make peace with Christians in Western countries? Peaceful Muslims have to start a revolution in their own countries by renouncing those who engage in violence and persecution, then everybody would extend the hand of peace to them. Otherwise we would be spitting in the face of those Somalis who get killed every day for their faith, or those Nigerians in the north region who are mourning their dead, or those Moroccans who are not allowed to meet in churches.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast