Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

View Poll Results: Please rate the new Vodacom Portal vs. Vodacom4me

Voters
178. You may not vote on this poll
  • The new Vodacom portal is much better than Vodacom4me

7 3.93%
  • The new Vodacom portal is marginally better than Vodacom4me

22 12.36%
  • The new Vodacom portal and Vodacom4me are equivalent

11 6.18%
  • The Vodacom4me site is marginally better than the new Vodacom portal

24 13.48%
  • The Vodacom4me site is much better than the new Vodacom portal

114 64.04%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Please rate the new Vodacom Portal vs. Vodacom4me

kingrob

My conclusion is that the new site is NOT functional.

I just logged in at www.vodacom.co.za to check what I have left on my data bundle....just to get an "error, we were unable to retrieve the information bla bla bla", so I just logged in at the "old" site, www.vodacom4me.co.za - and there my data bundle is! Eazy!

Kingrob and Antonf: I agree 100% - the site is not functional, and ALL the functionality has NOT been transferred.
    • Get rid of the flash - so many people use flash blockers that making parts of the site's functionality dependent on flash defeats the object of the site
    • Menus make navigation tedious
    • Balances all over the site
    • Messaging was better on old site
    • Data bundle selection not clear enough - can select wrong option easily
    • Site is slow, but not the slowest I've seen
    • Can't find my package's ToCs

It must rate as one of the worst sites of any of the bigger SA companies, if not the worst.

I read an article on the 5 things to avoid in building a web site over the weekend: Avoiding flash for anything but slide shows and showing video clips was no. 1.

Last edited by fourx4; 13-10-2010 at 07:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoCents1000 View Post
    Trying to buy a service on the new site is, at best, a hit and miss affair. Let alone trying to see what services you do have. This was simple and uncomplicated on 4me.
    Yup, this is my biggest gripe and it's very annoying. The website is also very slow.
    Last edited by DarkDenim; 14-10-2010 at 07:21 AM.

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by kingrob View Post
    My conclusion is that the new site is NOT functional.
    I just logged in at www.vodacom.co.za to check what I have left on my data bundle....just to get an "error, we were unable to retrieve the information bla bla bla", so I just logged in at the "old" site, www.vodacom4me.co.za - and there my data bundle is! Eazy!
    I all too frequently get that "We cannot process your request as we are experiencing technical difficulties. Please try again later."-crap, when logged in and trying to see account balance.
    I use quite a number of sims for traders/sales guys, so need to check the data balance, add new bundle, so not having this site work properly is a big drag.
    I clearly have no idea whats the dynamics behind getting this kind of service working, but imo Voda should rethink it, if they can't make it work properly, reliably, constantly, they should find another way to do it, or drop it completely and save some face :-)
    At the end of the game, the King and the pawn go back into the same box

The new site is better than the v4me site IMHO. There does not seem to be a mobile-browser-friendly site ... (strange for a mobile operator) - or is there? Accessing the site by means of a Nokia E52 is an exercise in scrolling.

Quote Originally Posted by v3gout View Post
    The new site is better than the v4me site IMHO. There does not seem to be a mobile-browser-friendly site ... (strange for a mobile operator) - or is there? Accessing the site by means of a Nokia E52 is an exercise in scrolling.
    What makes it better?
    53.91% of South Africans voted in favour of the Nkandla compound and SABC censorship.

All,

I've been involved with this project for the last two weeks and can confirm the observations and suggestions here are going into the change requests and are actively being addressed.

I'd therefore support morkhans in asking for more rather than less details.

Stating A is better or worse than B is good as a poll and that's on top of this thread. But any comments WHY it's better or worse is much more usable.

Quote Originally Posted by morkhans View Post
    What makes it better?
    Unlike others I have experienced less errors ("unable to retrieve your account details" or whatever the common v4me message was) since the switch to the new site ... I do get *occasional* errors; but not as many as with v4me. But come to think of it, a quickly accessible balance overview page would be nice ...

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Error message? Guys, please I'm asking for constructive feedback, while I appreciate your can't login there are many points at which the login process can fail.

Originally I could not login with my original v4me credentials, the suggested work-around was to re-register, which I could not do either. More recently I did manage to login with my original v4me credentials. So it would be useful to have more details about your problem.
    Sorry about that, login does work now but the site is not as easy to navigate as the previous v4me site.

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

I just tried out the new site again and it's very old fashioned.

Pretty hard to try to find what you're looking for, things are cluttered and not really grouped nicely.

I would've expected something a lot better from Vodacom.

As per the first post, please quantify your statement. What is the 50% of information that you can no longer find? What does not work? The only points you have raised is that you don't like the animations and you feel there should be more information on packages and their costs.
    Firstly look at the poll. Bring back the old site!
    You can't do half of the acitons you could do in the old vodacom4me. Most of it is broken or slow or data is just missing.

Did vodacom do any kind of market research before building this new site, or did they give it to the lowest bidder. It's was probably done in house which explains the terrible design, and lack of imagination. A site is supposed to be useful but it's not, it's impractical, loaded with useless animation, and it's hard to find the information you need any more, particularly about rates, contracts, comparisons and terms and conditions.

Vodacom4me is even worse:
    slow loading
    account info is broken, no info displayed on recharge history, no balance info
    did I say slow loading?
    Myservices: broken/again slow loading

eventually I got bored of testing.
    Last edited by morkhans; 19-10-2010 at 12:13 PM. Reason: off topic banter removed

Quote Originally Posted by jannievanzyl View Post
    I've been involved with this project for the last two weeks and can confirm the observations and suggestions here are going into the change requests and are actively being addressed.
    Hi Jannie - glad to see that you're on the case

I think that the biggest fundamental design flaw of the site is the use of Flash. Flash is a proprietary technology and while many people do install it in their browsers there are a significant number of people who will not or even can not view flash from their device of choice (I believe Apple iOS doesn't support flash?). If you look at any of the top websites you will see Flash in only two places: video clips and adverts. It is simply not suitable for any of the other content on a website.

Flash is also not able to be indexed by Google which means that most of the site's content will never show up when a user does a search for - say: "vodacom contact [brand of phone]" which seems a bit of a waste.

Some properly written, layout independent HTML along with CSS layouts for PC browsers and mobile browsers will result in a much cleaner and more useful site. You can even reproduce most of the sparkly animation with javascript if someone really thinks that it is essential for usability of the site. At least the javascript can be done with some backwards compatibility for unsupported devices.

OK, actually asked for her phone. Inspired by the attention this topic is getting in issue queues and that it may make my own life better if the service ends up better, I signed up.

The only hiccup was that the password is not allowed to be "strong"; No odd characters.

I don't have Flash on, so didn't see the offending content, but easily found My Vodacom -> Buy Bundles and even with the all-caps titles, the page is clean and clear enough, quite slow but fast enough. I usually buy a couple of those MyGig 2.3 (at the cheapest rate of 17c per Mb) bundles per month but don't need one right now, so will test purchasing some time soon.

As that's the only function I really use, I will have to vote the new site better than the old.

I did have to switch JavaScript on, which is not too unexpected, but one would expect better accessibility from a big developer like Vodacom.

kingrob

This is just a suggestion....but I would love to see a link on the Vodacom web site to their latest ads. Maybe make a heading "See our latest ads".

I actually watch TV just to see the new Night Owl ads (it is absolutely hillarious!!) and would love it if I can watch it on zero rated bandwidth, instead of having to search for it on YouTube.

Just my 2c.

These days I rarely visit the vodacom site to buy bundles, change services etc. as someone else takes care of it. When I had to buy a bundle this morning to ensure that a download would not let me run out of data it was my first exposure to the new site, and it was not pleasant.
    Logging in took forever - more than 3 minutes waiting AT LEAST and since it is on Vodacom's network, inexcusable
    My Services: Exactly NONE of my subscribed services - only a list of services, with nothing under the column headings??
    I despise the use of Flash, and the site is to some extent dysfunctional if you don't use flash.
    The menu system is really not friendly, and I'm being polite. It is tedious and navigation is very slow.
    I nearly bought a monthly bundle rather than an ad-hoc one.

I just wonder what the 4 people who voted "The new Vodacom portal is much better than Vodacom4me" saw that I missed? Be that as it may, in my business I would go under in a few weeks if only 3.2% of my customers perceive a new product to be "much better" than the previous product. A 96% rejection rate indicates that someone not only missed the mark, but the entire shooting range.
    Last edited by KarelKat; 20-10-2010 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Spelling

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast