Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Amobia

Default Amobia

Hi

I am getting sick of all the timeouts and disconnects on Screamer.

Has anyone tried Amobia?

http://www.amobia.com/

I have no idea, but if you're experiencing problems please give your views on my thread here, http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthre...mer-and-Telkom).

I was on Amobia for 2 years and I still have a couple of friends that are on it, one of which runs a business on his 3mbps connection.

You can't go wrong with Amobia. Please ask if you have any questions.
    You can do something for love, you can do something for money, but there is nothing quite so satisfying as doing something out of spite - Jeremy Clarkson, 1991

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Rouxenator View Post
    I was on Amobia for 2 years and I still have a couple of friends that are on it, one of which runs a business on his 3mbps connection.

You can't go wrong with Amobia. Please ask if you have any questions.
    I have few questions...

Q1: What latencies I can experience for local and international gaming?
    Q2: I heard of 3 day rolling window on "unlimited", so it is capped to 100GB a month on 3Mbit?
    Q3: To what extent it is shaped?
    Q4: Do torrents work?
    Q5: Do news servers work?

I'll appreciate some answers, if they are possible.

Good questions, as to the latencies I do not have a number for you, I think there are some other Amobia threads here. I used it for VOIP and it was great, its only the lat mile (or 5) that goes wireless, the rest is wired.
    Yes, they do have a rolling window on uncapped which is why I left after 15 days.
    Their uncapped is rebadged M-Web so that is the shaping you are looking at.
    Torrents do work, especially after hours.
    I don't know news servers.
    You can do something for love, you can do something for money, but there is nothing quite so satisfying as doing something out of spite - Jeremy Clarkson, 1991

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Rouxenator View Post
    Good questions, as to the latencies I do not have a number for you, I think there are some other Amobia threads here. I used it for VOIP and it was great, its only the lat mile (or 5) that goes wireless, the rest is wired.
    Yes, they do have a rolling window on uncapped which is why I left after 15 days.
    Their uncapped is rebadged M-Web so that is the shaping you are looking at.
    Torrents do work, especially after hours.
    I don't know news servers.
    Thank you.

Most worried about rolling window, shaping and latencies.

Can any1 give feedback concerning latencies to local server and reliabilty?

Check out my hate Telkom thread. I did some speed and ping tests after I joined Amobia

http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthre...le-Alternative

Your ping test says WebAfrica Subscriber? http://www.speedtest.net/result/895150238.png So is Amobia provisioned over WA? 'cos somewhere I read it was over Mweb.

What happens if you do another ping test?

Amobia Uncapped is Mweb and their capped accounts are WebAfrica. It used to be Telkom ADSL before they had uncapped.

Ive been on their capped 3mb option for the past month. No hassles and it works brilliantly for gaming on ps3 and xbox.

Does things like rain or bad weather affect the connection at all?

I was about 5km from the highsite and I never had problems. Even when my DStv crapped out because of heavy rain my Amobia was always up and running.

AS a potential customer, is there anything I should be concerned about with Amobia? All I have heard are good comments, sounds too good to be true.

I'll be needing them for a business tools as well, so I need a fairly low latency solution. Is it really possible to get 3Mb/s consistent downloads with them on the 3Mb/s solution?

Thanks

They are excellent for business if you are on a capped account. Their rolling average on uncapped packages is a bit of a concern. But apart from that they are brilliant and more reliable than ADSL.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast