Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: How to sell your vehicle privately. A step-by-step guide.

Quote Originally Posted by deweyzeph View Post
    The BUYER and SELLER fill in the yellow form, but the SELLER hands in the yellow form. Very important, do NOT give the yellow form to the buyer to hand in, if he forgets it's YOU the seller who gets in the ****, not the buyer. Until that yellow form is handed in, the SELLER is responsible for all traffic fines, etc that the BUYER incurs after buying the car, so it's important that you, the SELLER, hand it in as soon as possible after selling the car.

Only the BUYER fills in the blue form and hands it in.

Roadworthy can be done by whoever as long as it is less than 6 months old. Bottom line is that the car will not be allowed to be transferred unless there is a less-than-6-months old roadworthy certificate to go with the transfer.
    Just a note: actually both are the buyer's responsibility and you can get out of paying the fine with proof that you sold the car but yes, I don't trust anyone and rather do it myself because we all know how dealing with the DOT can be esp. with regard to fines.

Quote Originally Posted by IzZzy View Post
    Phone your finance bank and ask for a settlement letter. This will show the outstanding finance amount which the bank is willing to accept in full and final settlement of your debt to them.

The settlement letter is also, sort of, proof for the buyer that the vehicle is legit and is not stolen etc. The downside is that a settlement letter is usually only valid for 14 days - so, as a buyer, you want to make sure the settlement letter you receive is up to date.

If I were the buyer, I would ask for this letter and pay the amount directly to the bank (with proof of payment sent to the seller). Once the seller has received the registration papers, I would pay the net amount left to the seller. If I were the seller, I wouldnt have any issues with this (because proof that the buyer has paid is easily confirmed) but I would record that if the buyer opts for this method, any payment by him is at his risk (so if the bank made an error on the bank details / reference number - it does not constitute payment by him to the seller).

So I have a question: what is the actual rule regarding paying for a bank owned vehicle? Technically the bank owns the vehicle and their agreement with the seller is between them and has nothing to do with the buyer i.e. the full amount should be paid to the bank as the owner. It's more complicated than that of course and the internet has a surprising dearth of information.

What I want to know is, what does the bank say about who gets paid when I buy a financed vehicle privately? I don't want to know what everyone thinks - I want the actual hard rule.

I will ask the bank but sometimes it can be hard to get information out of them!
    Last edited by GPSJane; 07-09-2011 at 11:25 PM.

The BUYER and SELLER fill in the yellow form, but the SELLER hands in the yellow form. Very important, do NOT give the yellow form to the buyer to hand in, if he forgets it's YOU the seller who gets in the ****, not the buyer. Until that yellow form is handed in, the SELLER is responsible for all traffic fines, etc that the BUYER incurs after buying the car, so it's important that you, the SELLER, hand it in as soon as possible after selling the car.

Only the BUYER fills in the blue form and hands it in.

you would be able to register it without a roadworthy but you wont get a disc till you have the rwc..meaning the longer you take the more you going to pay again on your lisence disc.and 100% on the rest
    Roadworthy can be done by whoever as long as it is less than 6 months old. Bottom line is that the car will not be allowed to be transferred unless there is a less-than-6-months old roadworthy certificate to go with the transfer.
    Roadworthy can be done by whoever as long as it is less than 6 months old. Bottom line is that the car will not be allowed to be transferred unless there is a less-than-6-months old roadworthy certificate to go with the transfer.[/QUOTE]

Regarding the validity of roadworthy certificates, it is 21 days. This become effective on the 25th of November 2010.

I'm still confused by which forms have to be handed in by whom.
    If I'm the seller can I hand in both blue and yellow at the same time, and the buyer does nothing?
    Or can I just hand in the yellow form, and the buyer deals with the blue form in their own time (within 21 days)?

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by GPSJane View Post
    5. The Registration certificate is the most important - you should never pay until you have seen this and confirmed that all the details on the form match the vehicle itself i.e. VIN number, year model etc.
    Herein lies the quandary. The bank still owns the vehicle and won't release the registration certificate until such time as the account is settled in full. So the certificate cannot be got until the payment has been made!
    Last edited by phaktza; 15-11-2011 at 01:12 PM.
    "Don't be a hater, yo. I'm in a jacuzzi."

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Hogrod View Post
    I'm still confused by which forms have to be handed in by whom.
    If I'm the seller can I hand in both blue and yellow at the same time, and the buyer does nothing?
    Or can I just hand in the yellow form, and the buyer deals with the blue form in their own time (within 21 days)?
    It's easy:

1) The seller hands in the yellow form

2) The buyer hands in the blue form

That's it. It very clearly explains on each form.

Super Grandmaster

An interesting tit bit of information:

This seems to be a private sale, and I assume that this is done not in the normal course of the business.

The transaction does not fall within the ambit of the Consumer Protection Act and the voetstootd clause will still be enforceable and you should insert same in your agreement.

You will then be able to deal with the matter as if the CPA is not there and still insert voetstoots and "no warranty" clauses. You still have the common law obligation just to disclose problems you are aware of.
    http://www.justanswer.com/south-afri...e-private.html

There are other sites that seem to confirm this opinion.
    "Don't be a hater, yo. I'm in a jacuzzi."

I just bought a 2006 Corsa Sport 1.4i for my student son.

And this is the comments I can add based on this transaction.

6. If you've paid off the vehicle, which I have, have the proof of ownership documentation with you as well the letter indicating that the car has been paid off. This letter is sent to you by the bank after you have settled the vehicle finance.

If you have not paid off your vehicle as yet, request a settlement letter from the financial institution with whom your vehicle is financed through. This letter contains the settlement amount and it is generally a good indication that the car isn't stolen, etc.

You should also be in possession of the Registration Certificate of the vehicle which you'll need to hand over to the buyer.
    The Registration Cert. shows the owner and title holder, and in the case of this Corsa the owner is also listed as the title holder, which is sufficient confirmation that he does not have finance on the vehicle.

12.1 If they are paying cash, require them to do EFT only. No cheques - not even bank guaranteed cheques or cheque deposits either.
    My FNB account daily limit is well in excess of the purchase price, but when attempting to transfer with "instant clearance" selected, it gave an error message that the amount is in excess of the daily limit - went into the bank and they tried it, and when we got the same error they called up higher powers and were informed that the daily limit on "instant clearance" is what's blocking the transaction because that is fixed at R20,000
    The FNB consultant then "linked" the transaction, and we could then go to the ATM and finalise the transaction, and the bank printed and stamped a payment confirmation paper for me to give to the seller.

Hi guys i have a question hopefully one of you can help me with.

I sold a bike earlier this year when i was in East London I did the change of ownership and then handed over the bike, the new owner never registered the bike in her name. I am now in JHB and the registration certificate is Lost there must surely be a way i can just send her a letter stating she is the rightful owner of the bike and can get the registration certificate ? I don't want to have to drive to PTA pay and get a new certificate then courier it down to her.
    any suggestions ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mila View Post
    Don't think it's the size of his wallet..

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by InSanity View Post
    Hi guys i have a question hopefully one of you can help me with.

I sold a bike earlier this year when i was in East London I did the change of ownership and then handed over the bike, the new owner never registered the bike in her name. I am now in JHB and the registration certificate is Lost there must surely be a way i can just send her a letter stating she is the rightful owner of the bike and can get the registration certificate ? I don't want to have to drive to PTA pay and get a new certificate then courier it down to her.
    any suggestions ?
    Did you fill in the yellow (sellers) form and hand it in? If so then there is nothing else for you to do. The new owners details will be on the eNatis system and all they have to do is fill in the blue form to register the bike in their name. If you want, you can give the new owner a receipt, this can sometimes help to clear up any doubt at the counter about the ownership of the bike, but if you've filled in and handed in the yellow form, that should be that.

By the way, if you have indeed handed in yellow form, then the bike is no longer in your name anyway, so you will be unable to obtain a new copy of the registration certificate.

Essentially it's no longer your problem, so you have nothing to worry about.
    Last edited by deweyzeph; 22-12-2011 at 08:55 AM.

Did you fill in the yellow (sellers) form and hand it in? If so then there is nothing else for you to do. The new owners details will be on the eNatis system and all they have to do is fill in the blue form to register the bike in their name. If you want, you can give the new owner a receipt, this can sometimes help to clear up any doubt at the counter about the ownership of the bike, but if you've filled in and handed in the yellow form, that should be that.

By the way, if you have indeed handed in yellow form, then the bike is no longer in your name anyway, so you will be unable to obtain a new copy of the registration certificate.

Essentially it's no longer your problem, so you have nothing to worry about.
    I did hand in the yellow form and when i went to the traffic department i got a print out that shows her as the title holder but not the owner... she says i didnt give her the certificate ... i say i did i jsut dont want to make it messy and argue so there msut be a way she can get the registration certificate !
    Quote Originally Posted by Mila View Post
    Don't think it's the size of his wallet..

I have one more tip, and a very simple one.

Take the oil filler cap off, and peer inside, and if you see a fair amount of black crud build-up, then you can reject any claims of a perfect service record - that is a sign that more than one service was missed.

Here's a couple of pictures to give you an idea of what to look for in the oil filler hole:
    http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html
    Last edited by Shibal; 23-12-2011 at 09:31 AM.

Blog Entries

Just another tip. I bought a car from a friend during November and the licence was expiring on the 30th. I didn't have time to register it in my name before the licence expired and I figured I'd do it when I'm back to CT (I was in PE at the time and the car at home. He already gave the yellow form with his details completed to my wife and I was just going to add my details. When I went to the municipality on the 15th of December they told me the 21 day grace period only applies to the owner to renew the licence.

So they sent me back to the previous owner with a green form and I also had to get a copy of his ID before they were able to transfer the car and to renew the licence.

So just a heads up, to avoid hassle always do the transfer before the actual date the licence expires and not during the grace period

Is it possible to submit printed copies of the two PDF forms found online or do you need to submit the original yellow and blue forms from the licensing office?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast