Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: RouteSentry: Manage 2 ADSL account connections on 1 pc, 1 line, 1 modem (local/intnl)

Master
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, just released v0.03 which fixes a problem with the reconnection code (it could get into a state where after the first failed reconnection attempt it would continually retry and fail every time).
    Visit antibody-software.com for free software to check your ADSL usage, split local/international traffic between 2 ISP accounts, free proxy server and more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once again, thanks to ant1b0dy.

OK, now for the questions. I would love to get this working on my current hardware. I would use an IS account for local and a Telkom account for international, then switch the Telkom account for a WA Pre-Paid, should I get capped on international.

OK, hopefully I get this right from memory. I have one desktop and one laptop connected to a Linksys WRT54g router which handles the PPPoE, and then a Linksys ADSL2MUE modem which is in "Bridged" mode. Would I be able to get a running setup with the current hardware? How would I do the setup? Do I leave the modem in "Bridged" mode, and also put the router in bridged mode?
    Is there anyone with a similar setup that can give me some advice on the configuration that I need to make?

TIA

Master
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CodeMaster
    Once again, thanks to ant1b0dy.

OK, now for the questions. I would love to get this working on my current hardware. I would use an IS account for local and a Telkom account for international, then switch the Telkom account for a WA Pre-Paid, should I get capped on international.

OK, hopefully I get this right from memory. I have one desktop and one laptop connected to a Linksys WRT54g router which handles the PPPoE, and then a Linksys ADSL2MUE modem which is in "Bridged" mode. Would I be able to get a running setup with the current hardware? How would I do the setup? Do I leave the modem in "Bridged" mode, and also put the router in bridged mode?
    Is there anyone with a similar setup that can give me some advice on the configuration that I need to make?

TIA
    AFAIK you'd only need one modem/router (unless you're using more than one adsl line) running in bridge mode in order to get the pppoe connections working. Most ADSL accounts allow for more than 1 concurrent connection so you could install RouteSentry on both PCs, with each PC having 2 raspppoe connections set up on them (I have a similar setup at home where I have 2 PCs).

Another option for connection sharing is to install a proxy server on the PC running RouteSentry and have all other PCs connect to the net via this proxy (I have a free proxy app "ddproxy" available on my web site).

Hope this helps.
    Visit antibody-software.com for free software to check your ADSL usage, split local/international traffic between 2 ISP accounts, free proxy server and more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmmm, only one modem... How do I do the setup? The modem is bridged, and the router is setup up as PPPoE with my username and password. This means that the router currently handles all the autentication. So to get this to work, must I leave the router set to PPPoE and leave the username and password fields blank?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, I have been racking my brain over this, but have not tried anything yet. I will get an OpenWeb "10 day Un-capped" account over the weekend to play with.

The only way I see that I can get this working, is if I plug the modem (Linksys ADSL2MUE) into one of the LAN ports instead of the WAN port on the router (Linksys WRT54G - dd-WRT Firmware). This way, I can access the modem via it's IP address, and use that IP as the gateway in the PPPoE connections in XP (and also Ubuntu when needed). The modem is already in "Bridge" mode, but what would I set the router to? It is currently set to PPPoE, and handles the connection and autentication.

I know there are many Linksys guru's here, anyone prepared to shed some light on whether my thinking is correct, or is there another way that I can achieve this? If I remember correctly, by plugging the modem into the LAN port, I would be by-passing the NAT and firewall features of the router, is this right?

I need to get this working somehow, I really miss my 30GB WA account, and 30GB on the IS newserver will almost make up for my loss

TIA

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, I have been racking my brain over this, but have not tried anything yet. I will get an OpenWeb "10 day Un-capped" account over the weekend to play with.

The only way I see that I can get this working, is if I plug the modem (Linksys ADSL2MUE) into one of the LAN ports instead of the WAN port on the router (Linksys WRT54G - dd-WRT Firmware). This way, I can access the modem via it's IP address, and use that IP as the gateway in the PPPoE connections in XP (and also Ubuntu when needed). The modem is already in "Bridge" mode, but what would I set the router to? It is currently set to PPPoE, and handles the connection and autentication.

I know there are many Linksys guru's here, anyone prepared to shed some light on whether my thinking is correct, or is there another way that I can achieve this? If I remember correctly, by plugging the modem into the LAN port, I would be by-passing the NAT and firewall features of the router, is this right?

I need to get this working somehow, I really miss my 30GB WA account, and 30GB on the IS newserver will almost make up for my loss

TIA
    It doesn't matter what you set your router to, as you won't be using it to set up the PPPoE connections. You are right that you'd be bypassing its NAT and firewall.

One thing you might have to do is disable DHCP on the router and switch to fixed IP addresses, as the Linksys will set itself as gateway. The machine which has RouteSentry on it will be your new gateway.

I don't use RouteSentry but I've got a similar setup at home with an old P3 and linux.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would prefer to have DHCP turned on for the router. Even though the PC's connecting via LAN have static IP's, the laptops use DHCP to connect wirelessly.

I already figured out that if I do plug the modem into one of the LAN port, then the router would not be able to establish a PPPoE connection, as there would be nothing attached to the WAN port.

If I do it this way, with the wireless clients connecting to the router via DHCP, how would I configure them to use the modem connected to the LAN port, instead of the router trying to establish a connection throught the WAN port?

I suppose the best thing to do would be to just give it a try

Quote Originally Posted by dabean
    It doesn't matter what you set your router to, as you won't be using it to set up the PPPoE connections. You are right that you'd be bypassing its NAT and firewall.

One thing you might have to do is disable DHCP on the router and switch to fixed IP addresses, as the Linksys will set itself as gateway. The machine which has RouteSentry on it will be your new gateway.

I don't use RouteSentry but I've got a similar setup at home with an old P3 and linux.

Master
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suppose the best thing to do would be to just give it a try
    lol
    Let us know when you get it working..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will do

Master
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Guys,
    Been following this thread for some time now and I must say I am very interested! I need this!

Any way so here is my problem!! I am using IPCOP as firewall/gateway, so all the pc's at home(5; 3 lan 2 wireless) connect to IPCOP, this works fine. Now obviously IPCOP handles my pppoe, So I think this great app won't work for me!(I have been using ant1b0dy's other apps for a while and they are all great! Thanx ant1b0dy!!).

Will it be posible to connect to the other(IS local only openweb) connection in XP from my client pc and manage the routes from there, or will I have to config my IPCOP box to do the "magic". If so does any one know how I can achieve this using my Linux based IPCOP?
    ADSL Status:Mweb 1Mb Uncapped. Telkom 2Mb adsl
    http://www.ptawug.co.za Free Bandwidth for all...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd appreciate it if anyone can supply the IP ranges for IS only. See my post here:
    http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php?t=43174

Master
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've put up a little utility that I wrote for myself that converts an IP address range (e.g. 192.168.0.1-192.168.0.255) into DestIP,Mask format (e.g. 192.168.0.1,255.255.255.0) - this is the format used by the localroutes.dat file routesentry uses. Some of you may find it useful.
    It's here: http://antibody.za.net/files/masktool.exe
    Last edited by ant1b0dy; 20-05-2006 at 09:07 AM.

Master
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Erm, looks like there was a bug in the first masktool.exe I uploaded which is fixed now. The corrected version has a (v0.02) in the caption, the buggy one doesn't. If you have the buggy version you'll need to download it again. Thanks to bishopZA for pointing the problem out...
    Last edited by ant1b0dy; 11-05-2006 at 12:57 PM.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Call me stupid but depsite reading all the posts so far i stil have some questions -

If you have to dialup to each account that means that u cannot have both running at the same time?? Like u cannot be using ur local account for downloading(linux ISOs of course) and be browsing using ur other international account at the same time? Is this correct?
    Link to me on Samsung Rewards and earn a starting bonus. http://s-rewards.co.za/linkme.html?id=F341208769
    My BTC address:15fvnAGPvomWM9dkJ7DMcVEtae3NwVMXvD

Master
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hj2k_x
    Call me stupid but depsite reading all the posts so far i stil have some questions -

If you have to dialup to each account that means that u cannot have both running at the same time?? Like u cannot be using ur local account for downloading(linux ISOs of course) and be browsing using ur other international account at the same time? Is this correct?
    The whole point of this utility is to allow you to be connected to BOTH ISP connections AT THE SAME TIME, with local traffic flowing through the one and international traffic through the other. I hope you understand now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast